Dell Inspiron charging

A while back, I loaned a friend my Dell Inspiron 15 5555, and he managed to break the connector on the charger.  Dell wanted 60 bucks for a new one, and I found that too steep and went on eBay to buy an aftermarket one.  This didn't work entirely, as the laptop would give a warning on bootup saying that it didn't recognize the charger as an official Dell charger, and the battery wouldn't charge off it, giving the message "Plugged in, not charging."  After some digging, I found that Dell adds a data pin on their chargers, and if the motherboard doesn't get any power from it, telling it that it's an official Dell-brand charger, it won't charge, thus preventing the use of aftermarket chargers.  After some more research I found this video showing how to bypass this annoying "feature" by removing a diode on the motherboard.  However, it's a different model than mine, and I don't know if it could be done on my board.

Is there any way to fix this issue other than coughing up an enormous amount of money for a Dell logo?  I was really hoping to spend money on an actual hardware upgrade for the laptop, not fixing a manufacturer-created issue. 

Can you get a used official charger on Ebay? Usually they are about the same price as new third party ones. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Can you get a used official charger on Ebay? Usually they are about the same price as new third party ones. 

I could go that route, it looks like OEM ones go for around $20.  But if I could fix it without any extra money spent, I'd prefer to go that route, in case it happens again.