Noctua NH-U14S weird noises.

Wojciech S

Dear LTT community,

I've been using my Noctua NH-U14S for over a year now but once I switched cases I discovered it creates very weird scratchy deep noises when it's on bigger loads. It's also pretty annoying when it's ramping up from idle to load.

I recorded a video, stress test starts around 0:15. Please, don't mind "clicking" noises, as it's my dog walking in the background.

Share your thoughts.

Regards,

WS

9 hours ago, Wojciech S said:

Bump

For one, there's absolutely no need for that in less than 24h of posting the thread.

For two, if you can verify that its the Noctua fan, that might be bearing issue. If its under warranty (I think 6 years?), you should contact Noctua for replacement. If its over warranty, you can try to revive fan by adding few drops of mechanical oil to motor.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bearing most likely. As suggested above try to lubricate the bearing although that's most likely a temporary fix.

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

56 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

For one, there's absolutely no need for that in less than 24h of posting the thread.

For two, if you can verify that its the Noctua fan, that might be bearing issue. If its under warranty (I think 6 years?), you should contact Noctua for replacement. If its over warranty, you can try to revive fan by adding few drops of mechanical oil to motor.

48 minutes ago, f1ght43v3r said:

Bearing most likely. As suggested above try to lubricate the bearing although that's most likely a temporary fix.

22 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

That is the Noctua motor noise you are hearing.

I was told by the store to RMA it. I think it's faulty bearing as well.

What kind of motor do you mean?

Just now, Wojciech S said:

I was told by the store to RMA it. I think it's faulty bearing as well.

What kind of motor do you mean?

If you mean that low growling sound, everyone of my Noctua fans make that past 1250rpm. And have always made. Its hard to tell if there is something else going on aswell as the audio quality is not really that great.

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

If you mean that low growling sound, everyone of my Noctua fans make that past 1250rpm. And have always made. Its hard to tell if there is something else going on aswell as the audio quality is not really that great.

Scratchy inconsistent noise kind of deeper in the audio is what you guys should focus on.

Just now, Wojciech S said:

Scratchy inconsistent noise kind of deeper in the audio is what you guys should focus on.

Could be the bearing then. Motor noise should follow rpm changes.

19 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

My fan go up to 1300-1400rpm under load (same cooler with OP), and they don't make that noise. They do make noise, but that sound is different from motor humming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv