MST on Macbook Pro

vinay0410

Hi, I recently bought a hub (Moarmouz USB-C 9 in 1) which supports dual hdmi output for my Macbook pro 13 inch 2019 (2 Thunderbolt 3 ports).
Now, my aim was to connect two monitors to this hub and configure them as different extended displays. But, after connecting, macbook was detecting both the monitors as one and considering them as a single extended desktop ( mirroring same content on both of them), and I couldn't find any way to change this behaviour.
But, when I connected the same hub to a windows laptop, there was an option to configure those monitors as different extended displays.

I read more on the product page of the hub, and it said:

MST function supported for Windows

SST function supported for macOS

So, they are basically saying that it does not support MST for macOS, and I have two questions.
What exactly is MST ?

Will I be able to configure my displays as separate extended displays using the same hub and macos ?

MST allows you to output multiple DisplayPort signals from one port. macOS does not support it, so you will need to either use a Thunderbolt 3 dock or a separate USB-C to HDMI adapter. You can't use a regular USB-C hub that has multiple display outputs in extended mode on macOS, therefore you can't use that hub for multiple different display outputs. All the outputs on the USB-C hub will be identical. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I'm currently using the Dell D6000 dockingstation with a MacBook Pro 13" late 2013 and two 1440p displays. The Mac recognizes them as two seperate screens. The best part of this Dockingstation is, that it could be connected via USB-A or -C. So it supports & charges (60 watts) newer Macs with USB-C and also supports olders Macs (without charging).

This dockingstation uses DisplayLink and is compatible with macOS and Windows, because it doesn't rely on DisplayPort MST.