Pop Os 20.04 not booting after system upgrade

Go to solution Solved by GCandy77,

I have fixed the Issue using this suggestion  🥳    ./amdgpu-install --no-dkms

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1287904/amd-gpu-dkms-not-building-in-kernel-5-8-5-8-

891745077_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-18-53.thumb.png.ad914bfdea1423b2754187f965dbb963.png

1026082236_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-21-30.thumb.png.20530db80ee7ab730d4840267cf8b698.png

317181828_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-32-01.thumb.png.1efec34753385fad178908d8dc585010.png

Can I assume that my assumptions b4 about the new amd driver having a script within it that configures the new 5.8 kernel in a different way than the dkms program is told to do it - Is the actual reason this is happening, If I try to install the amdgpu drivers without the --no-dkms flag, I always get errors regarding dkms.  This is the 1st time I have not got any errors?

Im still not fully aware how dkms works so the question is am I fine to use the amdgpu driver like this or can anyone foresee any further issues?

I might be kicking myself in the nuts with my next move, but I plan to allow the Pop-update to run to see if it will stick with this setup ( as Id like upto date apps etc ) I cant see anything regarding the amd drivers on this run ...  so🤞

1049060746_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-37-24.thumb.png.95b1184c505899bee7f9f4f7e7b31873.png

At least for the moment, I have a way around the current issue as long as you peeps cant foresee any issues with me not installing it using dkms.

Il update my progress if it stays stable

Massive thx to all that inputted .. Especially you Nayr438 ... ure answers opened the door to this result ... Kudos 👍

Have been running PopOs 20.04 fine for a while now on its own 120gb SSD.   I Also have Win10 on another SSD.  

The Pc was set to boot directly into PopOs & if I want win10 ... I use the F8 boot loader option as the grub is a pain in the arse to fix every time it goes wrong

Yesterday PopOs said it had a new version available to try 20.10 and I decided just to install without reading the about the upgrades ( my fault ) ... The install stopped half way thru n paused for approx 20 mins, normally at this point a restart is required and it would continue the installs upon the reboot.

I restarted and was faced with the bloody black screen of death 😭 (with a flashing underscore cursor top left) that nearly may me pull out all my hair the last time this happened. RRRRRRRGH 😭😭

Last time this happened I pushed "esc" on boot up and entered the pop recovery menu .... I tried

1 - booting into a older version - didnt work

2 - booting into a recovery and updating the grub - didnt work

3 - editing the boot script so that "nomodeset" was present - this allowed me access

The 3rd option actually allowed me to get into PopOs which led me down my 1st research path as to wtf is going on and I found a few posts that advised that the latest kernel is not setup to work with all gpu drivers yet and that this is quite a common problem every time a new kernel comes out. 🤦‍♂️

I also read that this is not currently a issue with Ubunu 20.10 as it use a slightly different kernel compared to PopOs.  

That was all yesterday.

Today, I cannot even access the recovery menu ( for some reason my esc button does nothing on boot now ? ) and all I get is the OS trying to boot.

It tries to load into the user login screen and then just diverts to the underscore with the back screen. 

Im quite new on linux, buy have read about the Alt+F2 - When I get into the TTY, because im such a noob all I can do it "log in" and then list what is on the drive ( as shown in the vid ) .... I dont know what commands to put in to fix it & Ive learnt my lesson in the past with just trying any ol ting and making the issue worse - So im not touching it this time until I get some advise 🙏

I unfortunately own a R9 290 ( yes it the one that comes with annoying drivers to install if you want to use Vulcan because its "experimental"  🙄  Even tho the R9 280 works fine without the extra drivers & is under the same G.C.N ( Im ranting about AMD again sorry 😇

From what I could gather from other posts that have this issue is that my "Gnome display manager" is not initializing due to the kernel not supporting my GPU drivers.  Thus I cannot login properly to the GUI and now the recovery options have buggered off too.  

It also says that Is still running 20.04 so I am baffled as to what has gone wrong?

I can get into Win10 using the f8 with no problems ( am writing this post within it ) but I would prefer to get PopOs back up n running as it was my daily driver.

Anyone got any commands, ideas or links they can point me towards?

ahem

you f-ed up your ssd 

you have perform a clean install

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

ahem

you f-ed up your ssd 

you have perform a clean install

Hi & thx for the reply.

Can you advise how my SSD is f`kd & how a system upgrade would do this?

From what I can tell its the Gnome display manager that wont initialize, can this not be fixed with some terminal wizardry ?

1 minute ago, GCandy77 said:

Hi & thx for the reply.

Can you advise how my SSD is f`kd & how a system upgrade would do this?

because you reboot in update process the files on ssd are corrupted

if you want to do upgrade

READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY 

Just now, mahyar said:

because you reboot in update process the files on ssd are corrupted

if you want to do upgrade

READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY 

THANKS FOR THE CAPS SO I CAN READ IT PROPERLY 🙄

Are you sure this is the case as Ive done the exact same thing approx 50+ times in the past as its never caused a issue?

Just now, GCandy77 said:

THANKS FOR THE CAPS SO I CAN READ IT PROPERLY 🙄

Are you sure this is the case as Ive done the exact same thing approx 50+ times in the past as its never caused a issue?

well if it did not prompt you to reboot dont do it

and there is not much point to switch from lts version to a temporary one

Just now, mahyar said:

well if it did not prompt you to reboot dont do it

and there is not much point to switch from lts version to a temporary one

I`ll wait for someone else to give a better answer ... PopOs has never given me a "prompt" to reboot ...

In the past every time anything that has been upgraded and then pauses halfway thru the install, has always continued upon a reboot ( reads from saved cache ) and then worked no issue.

A lot of other sites are suggesting that its to do with the new kernel - your answers only offer your opinion, not any explanation 😑

1 hour ago, GCandy77 said:

Yesterday PopOs said it had a new version available to try 20.10 and I decided just to install without reading the about the upgrades ( my fault ) ... The install stopped half way thru n paused for approx 20 mins, normally at this point a restart is required and it would continue the installs upon the reboot.

You shouldn't have restarted if it was half way through, there is a possibility you have corrupted various packages or interrupted the automated configuration.

Try running "sudo apt full-upgrade" and see if attempts to upgrade the system again.

If it upgrades and falls back to bash after reboot.

run "systemctl status gdm" and post the output here.

I've actually been in this kind of situation once before. I had, due to circumstances, ended up powering off before an Ubuntu upgrade was complete. GNOME didn't like that. Thankfully, as all of the packages had already been downloaded, all I had to do is run `sudo dpkg --configure` from a virtual terminal, that is an emulated teletype (TTY — teletype), and I was good to go. I can't say for certain whether that will help you, but it's not unlikely that it might.

Good luck and have a nice day!

5 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

have read about the Alt+F2 - When I get into the TTY

fix any broken packages

run the distribution upgrade manually

once all of that is done (not if or when it pauses - when it is done and you are returned to a prompt) reboot your system with

sudo systemctl reboot

if the problem persists you have one of two choices: reinstall the system or wait for an updated graphics driver that supports the new kernel. Downgrading the entire distribution is hard and often unsuccessful, even for experienced users.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You shouldn't have restarted if it was half way through, there is a possibility you have corrupted various packages or interrupted the automated configuration.

Try running "sudo apt full-upgrade" and see if attempts to upgrade the system again.

If it upgrades and falls back to bash after reboot.

run "systemctl status gdm" and post the output here.

I only reset it after waiting 20 mins as nothing was happening, nothing downloading, nothing installing - the system was idle. 

I find with Pop that sometimes when u do some system upgrades it gets stuck waiting for me to put my password in even tho I have already and not providing the window in order to enter it ... I then reset the system and it asks me for the psw b4 rebooting ... and everything is fine.  This time it wasnt tho :(

Thx for your suggestion tho, I will give it a go along side the others n let u know :)

Hi Zhnu & thx for the reply, but Ive resolved the issue and Im now back in the OS and all is good .... fyi ... I was running the Oibaf open source drivers

I quickly tried the "sudo dpkg --configure" command but that did not work unfortunately & before I tried the other suggestions posted .. I followed the guide from the system76 website, which finally fixed the issue.  

Its very likely that the GPU drivers were causing the issues.

I followed these instructions -

Blacklist Radeon Driver

If you are using an AMD graphics card, the radeon driver might be causing issues as it does not support newer versions of Ubuntu.

The amdgpu driver that comes with the kernel does however. To blacklist the radeon driver and ensure amdgpu is loaded:

Open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf for editing and add blacklist radeon to the file.

Then run:

sudo update-initramfs -c -k all
sudo shutdown -r now

1237378925_WhatsAppImage2020-12-01at13_03_17.thumb.jpeg.798684d7bf0ab36bd68f681ec3821c09.jpeg

When I rebooted, the GUI came up and allowed me to log in no probs, however it was set to use the llvmpipe and not the AMD Hawaii.

I then followed the Oibaf page, to remove any existing files and then re-installed it & rebooted, was still the same.😑

I then remembered that I needed to remove the radeon entry from the blacklist.conf ( i did this with nano ) .. saved, rebooted and now it all seems to be back where it was b4 and now it says AMD Hawaii 😀

Ive rebooted a few time since then, run a few updates via the popshop and all seems to be good.

Can I assume that the Os/System reconfigured itself after I ran the final commands     -      sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y    Or am I being naive?

🤔

Given that you have a GCN 2.0 GPU, it should never have used the `radeon` driver, which is intended for GCN 1.0 GPUs, though those are supported by AMDGPU as well, and older, predominantly TeraScale GPUs, which means that something had glitched out. Although, as long as you're back in business, it's fine, at least for now, though it's unlikely that the same issue will occur again.

Have a nice day!

24 minutes ago, elsandosgrande said:

🤔

Given that you have a GCN 2.0 GPU, it should never have used the `radeon` driver, which is intended for GCN 1.0 GPUS, though those are supported by AMDGPU as well, and older, predominantly TeraScale GPUs, which means that something had glitched out. Although, as long as you're back in business, it's fine, at least for now, though it's unlikely that the same issue will occur again.

Have a nice day!

GCN 1 and GCN 2 are both supported by both ATI/Radeon and AMDGPU. According the the image above linux-firmware was corrupt / missing files for AMDGPU. When it failed to load the correct firmware it fell back to ATI/Radeon more than likely. Refer to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD

With that said, you should try reinstalling "linux-firmware", I think its "sudo apt install linux-firmware" but I could be wrong, I don't use Debian Based Distros.

Radeon is a legacy driver and you should be using AMDGPU instead, failure to move to AMDGPU could result in compatibility and performance issues.

Turns out I was being naive 😑 ... The original problem has returned 😔

This time I believe I have found out why ... from what I have read its all to do with the AMDGPU drivers that have been released by AMD.

A quick low down on whats happened since I last posted.

As we saw .. Blacklisted Radeon Driver, rebooted a few times and all was good. I made sure that I dismissed the 20.10 update, but a few Oibaf updates came up so I went ahead and installed these .. Mistake N1 (probably) .. I rebooted and ended back in the original black screen with the flashing cursor top left 😑 ...  After the joy of getting it fixed without re-installing, to end back in the same place was a massive bummer as u can guess 😐 This time it would allow me to "nomodeset" it and get back in using the llvm. 

From here I set about removing the Oibaf ppa and drivers to divert back to the preinstalled ones - same result

I tried installing the AMDGPU drivers from the AMD website but this threw up a host of errors during the install.

688235261_WhatsAppImage2020-12-03at18_47_41.thumb.jpeg.ce975a8649797475c89790d572a355f5.jpeg

Dunno if this is Mistake N2 but after watching the AMDGPU install above ... "DKMS" came up a lot, so I got into my head that it must be DKMS that was buggered, I found this page that suggested a command in order to reconfigure  / reset up DKMS and ran it .... it looked pretty impressive, but it didn't resolve the issue :(

ls /var/lib/initramfs-tools | \ sudo xargs -n1 /usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller start

https://askubuntu.com/questions/53364/command-to-rebuild-all-dkms-modules-for-all-installed-kernels

At this point ... I thought F-it ... time to re-install ( Mahyar u win n I shouldn't have batted u off , Im sorry 😇) of which I did (Pop 20.04) and everything was back to normal - for about 15 mins 😭

All I did to the new OS was to install the Oibaf drivers that I had been using no probs before, I also dismissed the 20.10 update option when it popped up this time.  I set about downloading the apps n tweaks I use along with the system updates requested by the Os.  After approx 2-3 promoted reboots .... I was back to square 1 with exactly the same issue - a black screen with a flashing top left cursor 🤬  At no point did I restart the system before it asked me to.

I concluded that something must be installing during the update that is causing this issue.

So once again I removed the Obiaf drives & PPA to go back to the preinstalled ones ... rebooted .. didn't work. I then tried installing the AMDGPU drivers again & the pro variant too - neither worked ... At this point I thought sod it and installed the update 20.10 & guess what ... that didnt work either 🤪

So I jumped ship and went back to Win10, done a bit more research and finally came across a few posts that had a very similar issue to me.

https://github.com/pop-os/pop/issues/1369

https://github.com/pop-os/pop/issues/1135

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/guide-install-amd-opencl-on-pop-os-some-ubuntu-derivates/13458

It seem what they are saying is that AMD have changed some of their coding within their new drivers and the latest Kernel either does not support it or it has different wording so it does not recognize the AMD drivers or DKMS is re configuring the Kernel so that I cannot read the AMD firmware properly  -  that's my basic outlook, Im still a Linux noob so I could be wrong ... Its very confusing to me as u can tell 😆

Quote " AMD has apparently changed the openCL headers internally from:
(Pal / Legacy) to (ROCm / ROCr),"

I haven't run thru the fix suggested on the blender forums yet as I am unsure of which command to run as its slightly different from the guide on the AMD site, but I believe this is my best option atm.

When I installed the AMD drivers I did not use the script method as I cant figure out how to do it yet and opted to download the tar, edit the AMD install script to included "pop" in the function Os bit and ran the terminal command

https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install-installing.html

./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=pal,legacy

I did not do the Headless one as I have no idea what headless is & wanted the Pro Vulkan component to install ( I think this was correct ?)

However the blender site suggests that I need to Run a command with headless in it, so im a bit confused what to do.

./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal,legacy --headless

Question 1 - Do I need to follow the guide in the blender forums from Scene #1 - latest driver (20.45) .... or do I just move to the Pop!OS 18.04~20.10 bit  since I am currently (now) 20.10?  and which of 4 commands should I try running?

I think its this (below) but it concerns me that there is nothing about DKMS in there of which I thought was the problem  and all the other commands do have it but according to the AMD site are commands for different componats & no vulkcan ??      

./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal,legacy --headless                      ( For the AMD GPU Pro )

Question 2 - If all this fails and I am still left with the same black screen issue, I know that 20.04 works as long as I dont updrage/install the drivers that are causing the fail.  Is there a way that I can stop 20.04 downloading the latest AMD drivers, but continue to download the rest of the system updates as all the system updates come bundled when you update via the popshop & u dont get to pick n choose, its all or nothing :(  

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, but I prefer to give as much info as poss in case it helps & thx if youve made it this far :)

The AMD Drivers are built into the kernel and utilize the mesa stack, you shouldn't need to install anything. As long as your on a semi recent kernel and mesa build, your AMD card should be fine.

You should also note that AMDGPU-PRO sits on top of AMDGPU, if AMDGPU isn't working then neither will AMDGPU-PRO.

You don't need AMDGPU-PRO unless you need OpenCL or need to use workstation grade software, for everything else AMDGPU-PRO can be problematic.

If you need OpenCL I would suggest looking at Manjaro and installing opencl-amd from the AUR, which only pulls the OpenCL portion.

The 290 is a Sea Islands Card, you can enable AMDGPU support with the following, even though its considered experimental, its still recommended over the Legacy Radeon Driver.

1. su root
  2. echo 'blacklist radeon' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
  3. echo 'options amdgpu cik_support=1' >> /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
  4. mkinitcpio -P
  5. reboot

From a clean install that would be the first thing I would try. If for some reason you continue to have issues, there may be a compatibility issue on PopOS's end.

Posting the outputs of the following would however be helpful in diagnosing the issue

• dmesg | grep error
  • dmesg | grep amdgpu
  • systemctl status gdm

4 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

The AMD Drivers are built into the kernel and utilize the mesa stack, you shouldn't need to install anything. As long as your on a semi recent kernel and mesa build, your AMD card should be fine.

Hi Nayr438 & thx for the reply.

What you have advised, I kind of remember you telling me this the last time I tried to get Vulkan running but that is not the issue here, sorry 😬 (even tho its very helpful, maybe for another time).   I gave up on trying to get the AMDGPU-pro installed last time and settled just using the preinstalled drivers at 1st and then I opted to use the Oibaf PPA/drivers & wine later, which got around most the vulkan games I couldn't run.

The issue atm are some of the updates that "pop" suggests in its own system update.  Its nothing im doing as this happens if I add the Oibaf PPA/drivers or not ( Ive done x2 re-installs just to make sure )

As mentioned above, if I install 20.04 fresh and update it a few times, at some point its downloading a new AMD driver that is either incompatible with the kernel 20.04 comes with or it uses this "DKMS" to reconfigure the kernel, thus making the "driver installed" not recognized .... and the system falls back to using the onboard gpu - ie this happens with the drivers that come pre-installed ... so unless I dont update my system ... im buggered at some point.

Im only looking at this guide about OpenCl because its the only guide that seems to have a fix for this issue with the new amd drivers & the latest kernel, from what Ive read the issue have been around on ubuntu since June, so im a little perplexed as to why its inside an official system upgrade?

Again ... I stress ... all this happen automatically after approx 3 system requested reboots, the only other software installed are the tweaks and a few extensions.  The AMD Drivers that are built into this kernel are not working after a system update.

Is there a way I can get logs for everything the system has done?   ... Ive got no issue spending 30 mins going thru a complete re-install and update again if I can capture where its going wrong.

Here someone with a similar issue, but on Ubuntu 20.10  https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/jkophu/trouble_with_amd_drivers_on_ubuntu_2010_580_kernel/

and a load peeps here ... https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/can-t-install-amdgpu-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-1-5-4-0-56-generic/m-p/426676/highlight/true

Edit ....N  I will post those outputs when im next in the OS :D thx

Here are the outputs requested -

r@pop-os:~$ sudo dmesg | grep error
[sudo] password for r:
[    5.644478] EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[    6.919927] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro

r@pop-os:~$ sudo dmesg | grep amdgpu
[    2.931980] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.
[    6.802408] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.

r@pop-os:~$ sudo systemctl status gdm
● gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; static)
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-12-04 18:12:58 GMT; 55min ago
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, sta>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, stat>
   Main PID: 2355 (gdm3)
      Tasks: 3 (limit: 19055)
     Memory: 8.2M
     CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authen>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon co>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try la>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): ses>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon start>
Dec 04 18:20:19 pop-os gdm3[2355]: Gdm: Child process -2383 was already dead.
lines 1-21/21 (END)...skipping...
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=>
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't >
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't >
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentic>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon contr>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): sessio>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started >
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/>
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't op>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't op>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authenticat>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't op>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't op>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later i>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started pr>
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/S>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/SU>
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authenticatio>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control f>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session op>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started prop>
~
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/SUC>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/SUCC>
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open />
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open />
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication >
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open />
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open />
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in op>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session open>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started proper>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/SUCCE>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES>
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /et>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /et>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication fa>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /et>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /et>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES>
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication fai>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly >
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 2309 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/gdm-wait-for-drm (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/sec>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/sec>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/sec>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/sec>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open sess>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and >
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
    Process: 2289 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/gdm/generate-config (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secur>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secur>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; >
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secur>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secur>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for us>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and un>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secure>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secure>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; l>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secure>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/secure>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for use>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unl>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; log>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unloc>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
lines 1-21/21 (END)

└─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; log>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securett>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user >
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unloc>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
             └─2355 /usr/sbin/gdm3

Dec 04 18:20:01 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/s>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/s>
Dec 04 18:20:04 pop-os gdm-password][2820]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failu>
Dec 04 18:20:08 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/s>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): Couldn't open /etc/s>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open se>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened fo>
Dec 04 18:20:15 pop-os gdm-password][2823]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly an>
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
lines 1-21/21 (END)

Just in case it helps I also ran these commands which seem to indicate all the drivers I need are installed - but not reconized?

r@pop-os:~$ sudo apt list --installed *\amd\*
[sudo] password for r:
Listing... Done
amd64-microcode/groovy,now 3.20191218.1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
amdgpu-core/unknown,now 20.10-1048554 all [installed,automatic]
amdgpu-dkms-firmware/unknown,now 1:5.4.7.53-1048554 all [installed,automatic]
amdgpu-dkms/unknown,now 1:5.4.7.53-1048554 all [installed]
amdgpu-lib32/unknown,now 20.10-1048554 amd64 [installed]
amdgpu-lib/unknown,now 20.10-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
amdgpu-pro-pin/unknown,now 20.10-1048554 all [installed]
amdgpu/unknown,now 20.10-1048554 amd64 [installed]
glamor-amdgpu/unknown,now 1.19.0-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gst-omx-amdgpu/unknown,now 1.0.0.1-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libcolamd2/groovy,now 1:5.8.1+dfsg-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu-common/unknown,now 1.0.0-1048554 all [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu-radeon1/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu-radeon1/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libdrm-amdgpu1/now 2.4.103+git2011061830.fc479e~oibaf~f amd64 [installed,local]
libdrm-amdgpu1/now 2.4.103+git2011061830.fc479e~oibaf~f i386 [installed,local]
libdrm2-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libdrm2-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:2.4.100-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libegl1-amdgpu-mesa-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libegl1-amdgpu-mesa-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libegl1-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libegl1-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libgbm1-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgbm1-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-dri/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-dri/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-glx/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-glx/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libglapi-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libglapi-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libgles1-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgles1-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libgles2-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgles2-amdgpu-mesa/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libllvm9.0-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:9.0-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libllvm9.0-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:9.0-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libosmesa6-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libosmesa6-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
libteamdctl0/groovy,now 1.31-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libxatracker2-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libxatracker2-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
mesa-amdgpu-omx-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mesa-amdgpu-va-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mesa-amdgpu-va-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
mesa-amdgpu-vdpau-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mesa-amdgpu-vdpau-drivers/unknown,now 1:19.3.4-1048554 i386 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.1.0-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/groovy,now 19.1.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
r@pop-os:~$

r@pop-os:~$ sudo apt list --installed *\xorg\*
[sudo] password for r:
Listing... Done
xorg-docs-core/groovy,groovy,now 1:1.7.1-1.1 all [installed,automatic]
xorg/groovy,now 1:7.7+19ubuntu15 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu/unknown,now 1:19.1.0-1048554 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-core/groovy-security,groovy-updates,now 2:1.20.9-2ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-input-all/groovy,now 1:7.7+19ubuntu15 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-input-libinput/groovy,now 0.30.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-input-wacom/groovy,now 1:0.39.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-legacy/groovy-security,groovy-updates,now 2:1.20.9-2ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-all/groovy,now 1:7.7+19ubuntu15 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/groovy,now 19.1.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-ati/groovy,now 1:19.1.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev/groovy,now 1:0.5.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-intel/groovy,now 2:2.99.917+git20200714-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/groovy,now 1:1.0.16-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-qxl/groovy,now 0.1.5+git20200331-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-radeon/groovy,now 1:19.1.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-vesa/groovy,now 1:2.5.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg-video-vmware/groovy,now 1:13.3.0-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xserver-xorg/groovy,now 1:7.7+19ubuntu15 amd64 [installed,automatic]
r@pop-os:~$

If I blacklist the Radeon Driver inside the blacklist.conf and the run

sudo update-initramfs -c -k all sudo shutdown -r now        - I get the blackscreen with the flashing cursor top left,with no login, but the option to use tty.

If I run              xhost +si:localuser:root; sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and then edit - GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1" and update the grub and reboot .. I get the flashing distorted graphics expected as I havent installed the AMDGPU-pro drivers, but no boot or option to login in or alt+f2 into the TTY

If I go into recovery and edit the boot to nomodeset, it boots but displays the error "*ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting" ....... It then allows me to login in fine but Im stuck on the llvm drivers.

I hope this helps cos im am totally stuck 🙏

I have made some progress but its not very helpful - I can now boot without having to go into the recovery and editing it to nomodeset, however im still stuck on the llvm driver 😭

I tried adding    amdgpu.dc=0  to the kernel boot and also      amdgpu.dc=1

And they both ended up hanging on the GDM boot window, so I removed them back to default.

1623466878_WhatsAppImage2020-12-04at22_30_51.thumb.jpeg.96ab13e3de4c55436addd4d29e66c1b0.jpeg

On the same page I was reading someone suggested running

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

reboot

Of which I did, but it still came up with a load of AMDGPU & Dkpg & dkms errors

1384031233_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0422-42-04.thumb.png.cf09ed996cb793200cb5960e9e48122e.png

547045468_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0422-44-01.thumb.png.c7900bb27a3cd0af8e5a2bb9d9fef398.png

1126917593_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0422-45-17.thumb.png.ff60612ea0b4f022d0c48882eb0510fc.png

2018640003_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0422-45-55.thumb.png.f7d5245cea21e748ed2fe7cbf7e3b635.png

1849020783_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0422-46-40.thumb.png.03a7b2b77179dc1ed45d086e3d40277a.png

I cant help thinking looking at all those shots that the AMD driver that my Os keeps on downloading isnt being recognized by the latest kernel 5.8 - hopefully im wrong 🙂

I also figure that I had rebooted my os 17 times using the journalctl command I have saved some of these logs and can upload if they help, but is there a way of logging all at once or do in need to copy the info one at a time ?

Edit - If I add

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1"  - it still boots to a black screen

if I change it to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=0"

It now boots in to the Os but again it only uses the llvm driver :(

What I was referencing above wasn't about Vulkan, just enabling AMDGPU support, it essentially does what your kernel command line options do.

I however see what the issue is. For whatever reason they have a AMDGPU DKMS module that's based on 5.4LTS. It appears to be incompatible with 5.8. I have never heard of a distro shipping a DKMS module for AMDGPU, Unless they are shipping AMDGPU-PRO by default, which I have also never heard of. Then again it is PopOS! and they do weird things.

Downgrading your kernel to the LTS release should let it build on the LTS Kernel. I am not sure how to do this on Ubuntu Based Distros.

You could also try removing the amdgpu nonsense they have going on, but I don't know what effects it will have on their kernel. For all I know they could be using a kernel with it noped out and it could cause more issues. This is what happens when Distros don't ship the latest packages but try to maintain support for newer hardware.

You could also try reinstalling from the PopOS! 20.10 release iso, rather than upgrading, if you haven't already.

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

You could also try reinstalling from the PopOS! 20.10 release iso, rather than upgrading, if you haven't already.

Out of all the thing I have tried, I haven't tried this yet so I will give it a go, thx

Im hesitant to downgrade the kernel tho as I can foresee an update sneaking past and me ending back up in the same scenario in the future.  Im thinking now that I have my feet wet in the linux world and understand it a little better that I might jump to Manjaro n see if I can get a more stable setup for the GPU that I have and give that a whirl.

I know that I will run into issues at some point due to this GPU "experiential" GCN rating rubbish that AMD put out for this card, but If even if I cannot get Vulkan to work, I will be quite happy using the standard AMDGPU drivers + WINE as I was b4.

Ive also posted this issue to the Pop reddit page, so hopefully they may be able to help me out a little further, but thx for pointing out what the issue is ... I have a new direction now + its also helping learn wtf is going on and what I am doing by viewing the outputs of the commands u all suggest :)

I`ll leave it a few days to see If Pop come back with a fix, but if not expect me asking for help with Manjaro soon 😆😇

Thx again

I have fixed the Issue using this suggestion  🥳    ./amdgpu-install --no-dkms

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1287904/amd-gpu-dkms-not-building-in-kernel-5-8-5-8-

891745077_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-18-53.thumb.png.ad914bfdea1423b2754187f965dbb963.png

1026082236_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-21-30.thumb.png.20530db80ee7ab730d4840267cf8b698.png

317181828_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-32-01.thumb.png.1efec34753385fad178908d8dc585010.png

Can I assume that my assumptions b4 about the new amd driver having a script within it that configures the new 5.8 kernel in a different way than the dkms program is told to do it - Is the actual reason this is happening, If I try to install the amdgpu drivers without the --no-dkms flag, I always get errors regarding dkms.  This is the 1st time I have not got any errors?

Im still not fully aware how dkms works so the question is am I fine to use the amdgpu driver like this or can anyone foresee any further issues?

I might be kicking myself in the nuts with my next move, but I plan to allow the Pop-update to run to see if it will stick with this setup ( as Id like upto date apps etc ) I cant see anything regarding the amd drivers on this run ...  so🤞

1049060746_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-37-24.thumb.png.95b1184c505899bee7f9f4f7e7b31873.png

At least for the moment, I have a way around the current issue as long as you peeps cant foresee any issues with me not installing it using dkms.

Il update my progress if it stays stable

Massive thx to all that inputted .. Especially you Nayr438 ... ure answers opened the door to this result ... Kudos 👍

Between me not being familiar with PopOS! all that much and these posts being very long (I kind of got lost in them 😅), all I understood is that AMDGPU comes with DKMS on PopOS! for whatever bizarre reason (I did not need DKMS for AMDGPU in the past three years that I was using my AMD laptop, which I used with several Ubuntu releases, Arch, and Gentoo) and that disabling it solved your issue, at least kind of. Could you try regular Ubuntu Groovy (the latest release) to check if everything is all right with it, or if the issue is present outside of PopOS! ?

7 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

DKMS works by installing source files onto the system, when the kernel updates, the DKMS module automatically rebuilds itself for the new kernel. This works so long as there are no major changes to the kernel that the module depends on.

When there is no DKMS module, a outside party has to build a new module each time there is a kernel update, in which case you have to manually go through the update process. Not only does this also still depend the kernel not having any major changes, it also needs built with the tame toolset revision as the kernel. This could be more problematic for non targeted Distros.

Since there is no DKMS module / source tree, the chances of being problematic in the future are actually higher than just falling back to a LTS Kernel with DKMS.

I did however finally decided to download the AMDGPU-PRO Drivers from AMD's website and I can now confirm that all of those amdgpu packages are AMDGPU-PRO packages.

This means PopOS! is favoring the problematic proprietary drivers over the open-source ones. This explains a lot of the problematic AMD posts I have seen lately, I am curios if Ubuntu is doing this as well. Really they are making it more complicated than it should be. Really the only thing AMDGPU-PRO offers a advantage in, is OpenCL support. If you decide to go Manjaro and need OpenCL Support, you can use this https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

6 hours ago, elsandosgrande said:

Between me not being familiar with PopOS! all that much and these posts being very long (I kind of got lost in them 😅), all I understood is that AMDGPU comes with DKMS on PopOS! for whatever bizarre reason (I did not need DKMS for AMDGPU in the past three years that I was using my AMD laptop, which I used with several Ubuntu releases, Arch, and Gentoo) and that disabling it solved your issue, at least kind of. Could you try regular Ubuntu Groovy (the latest release) to check if everything is all right with it, or if the issue is present outside of PopOS! ?

See above.