Pop Os 20.04 not booting after system upgrade

Go to solution Solved by GCandy77,

I have fixed the Issue using this suggestion聽聽馃コ聽 聽 ./amdgpu-install --no-dkms

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1287904/amd-gpu-dkms-not-building-in-kernel-5-8-5-8-

891745077_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-18-53.thumb.png.ad914bfdea1423b2754187f965dbb963.png

1026082236_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-21-30.thumb.png.20530db80ee7ab730d4840267cf8b698.png

317181828_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-32-01.thumb.png.1efec34753385fad178908d8dc585010.png

Can I assume that my assumptions b4 about the new amd driver having a script within it that configures the new 5.8 kernel in a different way than the dkms program is told to do it - Is the actual reason this is happening, If I try to install the amdgpu drivers without the --no-dkms flag, I always get errors regarding dkms.聽 This is the 1st time I have not got any errors?

Im still not fully aware how dkms works so the question is am I fine to use the amdgpu driver like this or can anyone foresee any further issues?

I might be kicking myself in the nuts with my next move, but I plan to allow the Pop-update to run to see if it will stick with this setup ( as Id like upto date apps etc ) I cant see anything regarding the amd drivers on this run ...聽 so馃

1049060746_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0502-37-24.thumb.png.95b1184c505899bee7f9f4f7e7b31873.png

At least for the moment, I have a way around the current issue as long as you peeps cant foresee any issues with me not installing it using dkms.

Il update my progress if it stays stable

Massive thx to all that inputted .. Especially you Nayr438 ... ure answers opened the door to this result ... Kudos 馃憤

Hi Nayr438 & thanks for the DKMS explanation.聽馃憤

I think what your saying is that if I decide to stick with PopOs, then it may be worth my while to go back to a older LTS version with a Kernel that uses DKMS in order to prevent future issues? 聽

I think that even tho my system is stable atm ... Im prob gonna jump ship to Manjaro n take a pop at it (no pun intended) as it looks a bit more stable than PopOs with my current HW setup + It would be great to get Vulkan/DXVK running for those 3 games I have to switch to windoze to play.

5 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I am curios if Ubuntu is doing this as well. Really they are making it more complicated than it should be.聽

I`d have to assume that they are as the fix I found was from the ask ubuntu page posted a month ago for the 20.04 LTS with a similar 5.8 Kernel ( Ive read Pop modifies the one ubuntu uses )

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1287904/amd-gpu-dkms-not-building-in-kernel-5-8-5-8-xanmod

13 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

This means PopOS! is favoring the problematic proprietary drivers over the open-source ones. This explains a lot of the problematic AMD posts I have seen lately, I am curios if Ubuntu is doing this as well. Really they are making it more complicated than it should be. Really the only thing AMDGPU-PRO offers a advantage in, is OpenCL support. If you decide to go Manjaro and need OpenCL Support, you can use this https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

1. Ubuntu does not install the PRO drivers automatically in my experience, though I switched off of Ubuntu on my other laptop (long story, not really relevant) just before Cosmic Cuttlefish was released, so there is a non-zero chance that things may have changed. I'd really like to see what results @GCandy77 gets with a Groovy Gorilla LiveUSB.
  2. Isn't ROCm another option?

On 12/5/2020 at 11:56 PM, elsandosgrande said:
  1. Ubuntu does not install the PRO drivers automatically in my experience, though I switched off of Ubuntu on my other laptop (long story, not really relevant) just before Cosmic Cuttlefish was released, so there is a non-zero chance that things may have changed. I'd really like to see what results @GCandy77 gets with a Groovy Gorilla LiveUSB.
  2. Isn't ROCm another option?

If I ever have to re-install it again then I will let u know what happens via the GG Live usb install, but the system seems stable as its been fine the last few days, even after pop-shop updates.

I tried the ROCm method with the kernel that came with the 19.10 release n came across the same issues back then ( didnt work)聽 n dont fancy going thru all that again, but thx for the suggestion anyway :)