General GPU shortage?

porina

I saw a comment elsewhere that made me wonder about availability of what would be last gen GPUs now, saying they were largely out of stock. I quickly checked two UK suppliers I use, and then turned to pcpartpicker for a wider picture. Sure enough, if you want an upper mid to high end card at a non-elevated price, you're not going to have much luck. 2060S through 2080S were basically non-existent. 2080Ti are still around, but at pricing few are going to pay at this time. On AMD side I did see one 5700XT but 5700 series are essentially not there either. Low tier cards seem to still be available. This exercise also showed how useless the stock indicator on pcpartpicker was. It showed many as "in stock" but wasn't if you click through.

So, what is happening?

One part of me is thinking, this is not unexpected. With the arrival of next gen GPUs, the old gen would have stopped production a while back. When they're gone, they're gone. We simply don't have sufficient stock of next gen to replace previous, although I would have thought the lower mid range would hold out longer since their successors still haven't been announced.

The other thought brings back memories the last time there was a major GPU shortage: mining. I know there's been a lot of discussion about it recently, but I do wonder if it is back again? I haven't looked into it in enough detail to understand if it might be economic for a casual user to come out ahead like it was in the original boom.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So both AMD and Nvidia underestimated the demand and there are a bunch of theories as to what's going on but we don't exactly know.

The new generation of graphics cards are pretty impossible to get hold of. So everyone else who needs a new GPU is just buying last gen stuff.

For instance my 770 broke a few weeks ago. I wanted a 3080 still can't get one. So for now I got 1660, I wanted a 2070 but prices are well above usual. I checked all the usual sites in the UK and I couldn't get hold of anything. The ones that did stock are pricing them about 1.5x the normal price. As this is only a temp card I don't want to spend too much.

5 minutes ago, Toxiclegend said:

So everyone else who needs a new GPU is just buying last gen stuff.

Does feel like there is some of that going on. Wonder if it is a good time to try and sell my 1080Ti :D 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, porina said:

Does feel like there is some of that going on. Wonder if it is a good time to try and sell my 1080Ti :D 

I mean yeah you could. If you don't need it and have already replaced it. You could be waiting a while otherwise! Haha

I was planning on getting a 6800/XT for my new Ryzen build but had to settle on a 5700XT for now. Literally the only decent card you could buy outright for MSRP or less and now most of those are out stock too. Something tells me my EK Waterblock for Radeon 6000 is going to be waiting in the box for a while.

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

because customers are not dumb, we dont buy overpriced products so previous demand is so comparative low

21 hours ago, porina said:

I saw a comment elsewhere that made me wonder about availability of what would be last gen GPUs now, saying they were largely out of stock. I quickly checked two UK suppliers I use, and then turned to pcpartpicker for a wider picture. Sure enough, if you want an upper mid to high end card at a non-elevated price, you're not going to have much luck. 2060S through 2080S were basically non-existent. 2080Ti are still around, but at pricing few are going to pay at this time. On AMD side I did see one 5700XT but 5700 series are essentially not there either. Low tier cards seem to still be available. This exercise also showed how useless the stock indicator on pcpartpicker was. It showed many as "in stock" but wasn't if you click through.

So, what is happening?

One part of me is thinking, this is not unexpected. With the arrival of next gen GPUs, the old gen would have stopped production a while back. When they're gone, they're gone. We simply don't have sufficient stock of next gen to replace previous, although I would have thought the lower mid range would hold out longer since their successors still haven't been announced.

The other thought brings back memories the last time there was a major GPU shortage: mining. I know there's been a lot of discussion about it recently, but I do wonder if it is back again? I haven't looked into it in enough detail to understand if it might be economic for a casual user to come out ahead like it was in the original boom.

Basically Nvidia and AMD are artificially limiting GPU availability for the public until the mining section is satisfied.

Proof is Nvidia made over 170$mil in profit selling RTX 3080s to miners. No wonder they're out of stock for gamers.

11 hours ago, Rym said:

Basically Nvidia and AMD are artificially limiting GPU availability for the public until the mining section is satisfied.

Proof is Nvidia made over 170$mil in profit selling RTX 3080s to miners. No wonder they're out of stock for gamers.

that's only 6% of their sales barely a drop in the bucket, so miners aren't as big of an issue as they were in the past.