Router without a simcard

ApexArticO5
Go to solution Solved by Chionele,

I take it you have a 4G/5G Internet now? What is it that you're trying to achieve?

If you use cellular network for your Internet connection then you obviously can't use a router without that capability, but depending on your current router you might be able to add another bridged router or a switch, depending on what is it that you're trying to do here.

Hello, I've got a question. I have an ISP issued router and its decent, but im not satisfied. I want to buy a new router that is on sale, yet it doesn't have a sim card. My question is that whether is there a chance that I can somehow use this router with my sim card? Thank you!

I take it you have a 4G/5G Internet now? What is it that you're trying to achieve?

If you use cellular network for your Internet connection then you obviously can't use a router without that capability, but depending on your current router you might be able to add another bridged router or a switch, depending on what is it that you're trying to do here.

Yeah, the problem is that I don't have a cable nearby so I can only rely on a sim card. Now if I connect the routers one to another, will my new router speeds be limited by my ISP routers? The thing is that my current routers have a speed of 300mb/s but the one that I want to buy is 600mb/s, won't this limit the new routers 4G performance?

19 minutes ago, Elans said:

Yeah, the problem is that I don't have a cable nearby so I can only rely on a sim card. Now if I connect the routers one to another, will my new router speeds be limited by my ISP routers? The thing is that my current routers have a speed of 300mb/s but the one that I want to buy is 600mb/s, won't this limit the new routers 4G performance?

Are you using wifi? If the speeds are bad right next to the router, it's probably because of bad coverage in your area that's not helped by ISP routers usually not being very good.

If all you need is longer range, then you can bridge them or just use the ISP router for the sim slot and your other one to connect all your devices. Internet speed will be limited to whatever your ISP router can handle.

7 hours ago, Elans said:

Are you trying to speed up the Internet or PC to PC communication over WiFi?

If you're getting anything close to 300Mbit over 4G then I'd say you are doing well.  I've never seen 4G go over 100Mbit as I believe its usually sharing 1Gbit across all users of the tower.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 11/29/2020 at 6:44 PM, Elans said:

I highly doubt that you're getting that 300 Mbps with your 4G in the first place, but you need to check whether the original modem has 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps ports on it. If it has 100 Mbps ports (which I'd venture to guess is the likely scenario) then that would be bottlenecking your internet connection should you have a faster connection than 100 Mbps. That said 1000 Mbps router/switch will work just fine with it, and it would allow all the devices connected to that work in a 1000 Mbps LAN which is beneficial anyways, and overall there's really no price difference with the two.

But once again, what is it that you're trying to do here? That affects the best course of action a lot.