Can i UNDERclock my cpu core but have a high turbo boost frequency?

Jstagzsr

I have to be at 1.4v in order to get 5ghz stable on all cores. I dont need to have that much stress and heat on my cpu 24/7 for the type of use this computer gets. i dont do crazy benchmark competitions or anything like that.. i just want max possible performance and temps and life span within reason..

so...

Can i have my core multiplier at like 30, but have my turbo multiplier at like 55? how would i go about testing this theory? i know they say to have your turbo 3 numbers LOWER than the core, but why? Is what im thinking even doable?

By default your system does this, it will only run at the speeds it needs to.

The base speed means basically nothing for desktops these days, its always running at turbo speeds if you need performance, and much lower if you don't.

Id just make sure your oc lets speedstep still be enabled, so it clocks down at idle, and uses a voltage ofset, and you basically get what you want here.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

By default your system does this, it will only run at the speeds it needs to.

The base speed means basically nothing for desktops these days, its always running at turbo speeds if you need performance, and much lower if you don't.

Id just make sure your oc lets speedstep still be enabled, so it clocks down at idle, and uses a voltage ofset, and you basically get what you want here.

indeed yes, but is it possible to "overclock" the turbo frequency? stock is 4.68ghz turbo for my specific cpu.. Id like at LEAST 5ghz turbo. if not more.

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

indeed yes, but is it possible to "overclock" the turbo frequency? stock is 4.68ghz turbo for my specific cpu.. Id like at LEAST 5ghz turbo. if not more.

what cpu do you have? What board? Whats your full system?

OCing the turbo and the normal clocks does basically the same time, it will run faster when its needed.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what cpu do you have? What board? Whats your full system?

OCing the turbo and the normal clocks does basically the same time, it will run faster when its needed.

i9 9900K
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike
32gb 3200mhz CS16 Dominator Platinum DDR4
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080ti
EVGA 1000 G5. 1k watt 80+ Gold psu
Enermax Liqmax 3 ARGB 360mm AIO
Asus Tuff Gaming GT501 case
970 evo nvme 500gb ssd boot drive
2x 860 evo 1tb ssd's
2x WD Blue 1tb hdd's
2x WD Blue 500gb hdd's
GELID GC-Extreme Thermal Paste
CyberPower 1500VA pure sinewave ups
Corsair K95 Platinum
Corsair Nightsword mouse

ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q monitor. 4k 120hz hdr 43"
Samsung 6 series 43" monitor 4k 60hz hdr 43"

Yamaha MG10XU mixer
AKG P120 Mic
2x Eris 4.5" studio monitors
2x Teac 3" studio monitors

8 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

i9 9900K
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike
32gb 3200mhz CS16 Dominator Platinum DDR4
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080ti
EVGA 1000 G5. 1k watt 80+ Gold psu
Enermax Liqmax 3 ARGB 360mm AIO
Asus Tuff Gaming GT501 case
970 evo nvme 500gb ssd boot drive
2x 860 evo 1tb ssd's
2x WD Blue 1tb hdd's
2x WD Blue 500gb hdd's
GELID GC-Extreme Thermal Paste
CyberPower 1500VA pure sinewave ups
Corsair K95 Platinum
Corsair Nightsword mouse

ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q monitor. 4k 120hz hdr 43"
Samsung 6 series 43" monitor 4k 60hz hdr 43"

Yamaha MG10XU mixer
AKG P120 Mic
2x Eris 4.5" studio monitors
2x Teac 3" studio monitors

Id just go for a 4.8ghz or 4.9ghz all core if you have to be a 1.4v to hit 5ghz, as that voltage is pretty high. Your not setting turbo any higher though.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just go for a 4.8ghz or 4.9ghz all core if you have to be a 1.4v to hit 5ghz, as that voltage is pretty high. Your not setting turbo any higher though.

no the turbo disabled itself once the core clock became higher than the turbo was. theres no turbo at all now. Just a constant 4.97ghz at 1.4ish volts. And i tried like 4 different t imes last night to disable the overclock and for some reason im still getting the same results.. Unless i manually set the voltage now back to around the 1v mark it'll automatically fluctuate from 4ish ghz to the prior OC 4.97ghz.. idk wtf is going on.. I loaded 3 different saved profiles i had in the bios.. the only thing left to do now is load optimized defaults or reflash the bios.. But then ill have the same problem i had before where it was power limit  throttling.. lol.. ughhhhh fml..

Set Vcore voltage to ADAPTIVE. This will allow voltage to only ramp up to that voltage when CPU goes full throttle. When it lowers the clock it'll also drop voltages. Had it set this way on my MSI board. I later found out AUTO actually uses basically the same voltages so I now just have it on AUTO.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Set Vcore voltage to ADAPTIVE. This will allow voltage to only ramp up to that voltage when CPU goes full throttle. When it lowers the clock it'll also drop voltages. Had it set this way on my MSI board. I later found out AUTO actually uses basically the same voltages so I now just have it on AUTO.

cool. thank you.