How to access Windows shared folder from Ubuntu.

Hey, I have a shared folder on my Windows 10 desktop. I am trying to stream media to a laptop running Ubuntu 20.04.1. LTS. I'm able to see the folders I want to access by using the command "smbclient -L servername -U username", but I cant open any of the folders or access them at all. Has anyone had any experience in this? I'm pretty new to ubuntu and linux, any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Do you need to access it from the CLI or do your plans include the GUI? From the GUI will be easier but you can mount a SMB share from CLI too.

If you can't access any sub-directories or files within the share that's probably a permissions issue on the Windows side.

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneJame said:

but I cant open any of the folders or access them at all.

that feels like a permissions error, check permissions for the share and the user.

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you need to access it from the CLI or do your plans include the GUI? From the GUI will be easier but you can mount a SMB share from CLI too.

If you can't access any sub-directories or files within the share that's probably a permissions issue on the Windows side.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a GUI. Where would I find it?

1 minute ago, OnlyOneJame said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a GUI. Where would I find it?

You said you're running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Did you mean Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS? I assumed you were using the Desktop version since you didn't specify Server.

The server version has no GUI although one can be installed.

IMO if this is going to play a server role stick with CLI.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

that feels like a permissions error, check permissions for the share and the user.

Is there a command I can use to access them to open them?

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You said you're running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Did you mean Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS? I assumed you were using the Desktop version since you didn't specify Server.

The server version has no GUI although one can be installed.

IMO if this is going to play a server role stick with CLI.

Oh I am using the desktop version, I guess I'm not sure which GUI you were talking about. Sorry about the miscommunication, I am quite new to this.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneJame said:

Oh I am using the desktop version, I guess I'm not sure which GUI you were talking about. Sorry about the miscommunication, I am quite new to this.

If you're using the desktop version go to Files -> Other Locations. From here at the bottom of the window you'll see Connect to Server. On the right you can specify server addresses. Use the template:

smb://192.168.0.X/

Replace the IP in the above command with the IP of the SMB share your Windows machine is hosting. Do note your machine is likely use DHCP so you may need to reserve the IP in your router or set-up a Static IP if you need this connection for future use.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Replace the IP in the above command with the IP of the SMB share your Windows machine is hosting. Do note your machine is likely use DHCP so you may need to reserve the IP in your router or set-up a Static IP if you need this connection for future use.

I get an error message; Unable to Access Location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: Network dropped connection on reset.   
The IP address I used is the one listed under "IPV4" when I type "ipconfig" into my cmd terminal on my windows computer with the shared folder. 192.168.1.75

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneJame said:

I get an error message; Unable to Access Location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: Network dropped connection on reset.   
The IP address I used is the one listed under "IPV4" when I type "ipconfig" into my cmd terminal on my windows computer with the shared folder. 192.168.1.75

Have you verified Windows clients on the network have access to this share?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you verified Windows clients on the network have access to this share?

Yes, I am able to access the folders and stream video to other laptops and phones on my network.

Just now, OnlyOneJame said:

Yes, I am able to access the folders and stream video to other laptops and phones on my network.

Try typing the share name:

smb://192.168.0.X/name_of_share

It's worthwhile to note that GNU/Linux isn't fond of spaces in share names which I know Windows doesn't seem to mind so hopefully you only used one word.

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Try typing the share name:

smb://192.168.0.X/name_of_share

It's worthwhile to note that GNU/Linux isn't fond of spaces in share names which I know Windows doesn't seem to mind so hopefully you only used one word.

WOOHOOO! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into helping me out here. I really appreciate it! I finally got it working. The final solution was exactly what you said. I used:

smb://192.168.1.75/Folder_Name

Thank you again for all your help!

2 hours ago, OnlyOneJame said:

WOOHOOO! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into helping me out here. I really appreciate it! I finally got it working. The final solution was exactly what you said. I used:

smb://192.168.1.75/Folder_Name

Thank you again for all your help!

Yep. So Windows is giving you that issue.

Sometimes GNU/Linux can pull up the share list, sometimes not. I haven't diagnosed that issue. In the cases where it can't pull up the share list specifying the share you want to go to gets it working.

Glad we got it going.