Budget File Server vs NAS

BeornBear

I am considering on building a budget file server with 2 sata harddrives (Raid 1) or 3 sata harddrive (Raid 5). Possible with an AMD Athlon 3000g or AMD Ryzen 3. Alternatively a 2-3 drive NAS. I have a budget of $600 CDN, including taxes. Does anyone have any suggestions?! 

1 hour ago, BeornBear said:

I am considering on building a budget file server with 2 sata harddrives (Raid 1) or 3 sata harddrive (Raid 5). Possible with an AMD Athlon 3000g or AMD Ryzen 3. Alternatively a 2-3 drive NAS. I have a budget of $600 CDN, including taxes. Does anyone have any suggestions?! 

If you want to build one then I dont have much to say, But I would look into what Synology has to offer. Easy setup. Great interface. Easy backups. You can even use them as a NVR for cameras

Breaking things 1 day at a time

If it's just a fileserver, then for 2 drives have you considered just using a prebuilt NAS unit?  Even a Synology DS220j is pretty cheap 

Theres plenty of cheap 4 bay units as well if you want to support more drives https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=4+bay+nas

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I have been looking at different brandname NAS. However, it seems that Synology has the best name due to its superior software and interface with come with the NAS. I only have 65 GB of files. A two-bay NAS would make more sense. I have two extra WD 1 TB Sata Harddrives. I am leaning towards the Synology DS220j. I am hopeful that it can be used as a Plex Server. (I do not have 4K television nor computer monitors). I would like to have 1080p30 videos. I am uncertain if Plex will offer software to transcode original DVDs to digital format. I was attempting to use Handbreak. However, Handbreak will not convert copyright DVDs (even though that I own the DVDs). 

13 hours ago, BeornBear said:

I have been looking at different brandname NAS. However, it seems that Synology has the best name due to its superior software and interface with come with the NAS. I only have 65 GB of files. A two-bay NAS would make more sense. I have two extra WD 1 TB Sata Harddrives. I am leaning towards the Synology DS220j. I am hopeful that it can be used as a Plex Server. (I do not have 4K television nor computer monitors). I would like to have 1080p30 videos. I am uncertain if Plex will offer software to transcode original DVDs to digital format. I was attempting to use Handbreak. However, Handbreak will not convert copyright DVDs (even though that I own the DVDs). 

Yea those will work fien, and will run plex.

You can'd do dvd ripping on a synology, you still need to use your pc for that. 

You can rip copyrighted dvds in handbrake with libdvdcss2.