Oculus Quest 2?

NekoTeagan

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a nice weekend.

I'm setting out to purchase a Christmas gift for my friend- and I really wanted to do something cool for him this year. So I wanted to get him a VR headset as well as two more sticks of Trident Z (he only has two slots filled at the moment). I was looking at the Oculus Quest 2 as it falls nicely into my budget but I actually haven't heard too much about it; does anyone know of any good reviews/ers or own it themselves? And if you know anything about it, does it have good performance for the price?

Thanks!

It's a facebook headset so basically a big privacy issue thing that records way too much data (audio, visual and motion). That and forced fb account which are just getting banned at random basically bricking the device.

the headset itself is pretty nice. But if it's a pc only vr headset then there are others to be had.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It's a facebook headset so basically a big privacy issue thing that records way too much data (audio, visual and motion). That and forced fb account which are just getting banned at random basically bricking the device.

the headset itself is pretty nice. But if it's a pc only vr headset then there are others to be had.

Do you know of any good ones that are < $400?

Just now, NekoTeagan said:

Do you know of any good ones that are < $400?

Not new no. There are a few in the works that are around 400$ but nothing at the price that isn't oculus stuff.

Refurbished vives used to be able to be gotten for around 300$. Not sure about that now.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Not new no. There are a few in the works that are around 400$ but nothing at the price that isn't oculus stuff.

Refurbished vives used to be able to be gotten for around 300$. Not sure about that now.

Figured- I'll have to do some more research and see, thanks!

watch lowspecgamer review on it 

the best i can suggest

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Ummm, fuck facebook and fuck this headset. They went way to far with collecting data on this one.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, centurion_08 said:

Ummm, fuck facebook and fuck this headset. They went way to far with collecting data on this one.

I feel sorry for the employees that have to go through my boring life.

1 hour ago, techies_9001 said:

I feel sorry for the employees that have to go through my boring life.

I get you, but it's wrong on so many levels.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, centurion_08 said:

I get you, but it's wrong on so many levels.

Have you ever been to a takeaway place, and have your phone ask you to kindly leave a rating? And then go to your google account and noticed you've been tracked for 2 years showing every place you've ever been?

All I'm getting is friend suggestions of people I've never met, just like before. And of online retailers with an occasional VR ad thrown in. The whole evil corporation chapter only starts once Eye tracking and full body tracking becomes a thing with Oculus, the cameras are infrared, not color so it mostly sees the world's objects in an abstract manner. 

It could in theory record your world surroundings, but I think there's some degree of noise suppression build in at least, since no one could head my fan running in the background and it was loud. 

If you run Youtube VR you can search videos with your voice though, so that's cool and the real main privacy concern. Although it's not possible without the youtube software. So you have to ask yourself, is youtube listening to you, this very moment!

People just hating Facebook because it's the trendy thing to do.

Anyways the best part of the new headset for pc gaming is that you have a high resolution display and it takes on cable and one window prompt to start playing a game on the pc via Oculus link. It's real easy to do.

What makes it better for the advanced users like myself, is that the XR2 chip and wifi 6 capabilities gave virtual desktop wireless streaming the boost it needed. Now I have wireless PC VR and it's a game changer.

I also have the Quest 2, and it's absolutely magnificent. There's is nothing that comes even close in the same price range, and even then you have to sacrifice standalone functionality and wirelessness to a degree.

The main problem with it is that if Facebook gets your panties in a bunch then it's not the right choice for you and you just have to wait if some other company (you do like and are thus willing to overlook this issue) makes an HMD in the future.

People are blowing the "Facebook bans accounts randomly!" out of proportion completely. They ban over two billion fake accounts every quarter, so yeah, there's a pretty good chance that your newly created fake account will get banned. If you already have an account there's no need to worry about that.