Which CPU is the best upgrade?

Hello!

I have done a few posts and it seems to be really effective.

This time I would like to get some help to find the best CPU to pair with my MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO.

I have a i7 - 6700K right now, but I can really feel the bottleneck in some games.

The ones I have been thinking about are i9 - 10900, Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 9 5900X.

Feel free to come with more suggestions if you feel like a nother CPU would be better or if you fell that I should just keep the CPU I have now.

Thank you in advance.

How can you feel the bottleneck in games? The 6700k right now is still a good cpu for gaming especially with an overlock. I do see it becoming an issue in a year or 2 but for now it should not have an issue with the 3070.

For upgrade the 5600x makes the most sense if this is pure gaming. No point in the 10900k at all when the 5900x exists.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How can you feel the bottleneck in games? The 6700k right now is still a good cpu for gaming especially with an overlock. I do see it becoming an issue in a year or 2 but for now it should not have an issue with the 3070.

For upgrade the 5600x makes the most sense if this is pure gaming. No point in the 10900k at all when the 5900x exists.

With "I can feel the bottlenecks", I mean that my FPS is lower that it should be. Especially compared to some I've played with that has a better CPU and worse GPU. But they still have more FPS than me with the same or higher settings as me. I've also been looking at the workload, and my CPU is stressing out at 100% sometimes while my GPU is just chilling at low %.

It might be possible that I have some weird setting on that I shouldn't have, but I don't know.

So it's not worth to go for 5900X if I only stream for time to time and render from time to time? I guess that 5600x handles that great?

Just now, itsLaakso said:

With "I can feel the bottlenecks", I mean that my FPS is lower that it should be. Especially compared to some I've played with that has a better CPU and worse GPU. But the still have more FPS than me with the same or higher settings as me. I've also been looking at the workload, and my CPU is stressing out at 100% sometimes while my GPU is just chilling at low %.

It might be possible that I have some weird setting on that I shouldn't have, but I don't know.

So it's not worth to go for 5900X if I only stream for time to time and render from time to time? I guess that 5600x handles that great?

For streaming you have the 3070 with the nvenc encoder. For rendering unless it's something where time is money the 5600x is a great cpu too.

19 minutes ago, itsLaakso said:

if anything get a k version

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For streaming you have the 3070 with the nvenc encoder. For rendering unless it's something where time is money the 5600x is a great cpu too.

I would recommend a 5600x or a 3700x if you can't get the 5600x.
@jaslion He has a very very last gen and needs a new CPU.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

if you don't make money out of your rendering work, just go for the 5600x. it should have almost the same performance in rendering as the 3700x

11 minutes ago, wall03 said:

if anything get a k version

I would recommend a 5600x or a 3700x if you can't get the 5600x.
@jaslion He has a very very last gen and needs a new CPU.

A 6700k is a totally fine cpu right now. Sure it won't push 200fps but it's not gonna struggle hitting over 100 normally. Sure it won't push the max fps so just turn up the settings a bit and call it a day.

I managed to get it from 4.2GHz boost clock to 4.5GHz boost clock, without affecting the stability. It's like the CPU got a new life. The FPS is a little better and way less stuttering.

Based of what you guys have said, I think I will try to get my hands on the 5600X early next year.

Thank you guys so much for the help this far!