which do you think is a more needed upgrade gpu or cpu

sa1ntyz

currently i have a i5 6600k running at 4.8ghz and a rx 580 8gb, struggling to chose which upgrade to do first cpu would be to a ryzen 5 3600x or a gpu would be something like the rx 5600 dont know whatd give me better performance at the moment.

pretty much both, probably cpu would be more of an issue though.

7 minutes ago, sa1ntyz said:

well if your cpu is an issue for the tasks you want to do then start there.

17 minutes ago, sa1ntyz said:

If you get a NEW GPU it may not increase performance at all..
New CPU, might bring out some extra performance of the RX580 when typically CPU limited in some games....

I'd choose CPU, enjoy smoother gameplays with the RX580 and drop settings to gain frames (CPU can now drive more) and then go for a New GPU afterwards.

Same with my setup..

Spoiler

Old 2014 4790K 4C8T at 4.8Ghz with a 2080TI (recent and cheap) but I'm CPU limited in anything under 1800p-2160p Gaming,.. 1440p there is GPU left on the table, and even if it says 97-99% there is STILL performance my CPU isn't tapping.
I am aiming for a January-March Ryzen 5000 series, sticking with my 2080Ti of course,.. the new CPU will smooth things out so much, whatever my 4790K does  right now.....will be destroyed by the new CPU alone.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

57 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If you get a NEW GPU it may not increase performance at all..
New CPU, might bring out some extra performance of the RX580 when typically CPU limited in some games....

I'd choose CPU, enjoy smoother gameplays with the RX580 and drop settings to gain frames (CPU can now drive more) and then go for a New GPU afterwards.

Same with my setup..

Reveal hidden contents

Old 2014 4790K 4C8T at 4.8Ghz with a 2080TI (recent and cheap) but I'm CPU limited in anything under 1800p-2160p Gaming,.. 1440p there is GPU left on the table, and even if it says 97-99% there is STILL performance my CPU isn't tapping.
I am aiming for a January-March Ryzen 5000 series, sticking with my 2080Ti of course,.. the new CPU will smooth things out so much, whatever my 4790K does  right now.....will be destroyed by the new CPU alone.

I actually just purchased a new system, going from Haswell and a 980 to a Ryzen 9 3900x, and I retained the GPU. Playing Borderlands 3, on the Haswell CPU, I was getting 50-60FPS, high settings, ultra distance.

The same graphics card, hooked up to a 3900x, will run Borderlands 3 at 170-190FPS, Ultra settings.

It's so much difference, my GPU actually runs hotter.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 hours ago, sa1ntyz said:

currently i have a i5 6600k running at 4.8ghz and a rx 580 8gb, struggling to chose which upgrade to do first cpu would be to a ryzen 5 3600x or a gpu would be something like the rx 5600 dont know whatd give me better performance at the moment.

See below :)

30 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I actually just purchased a new system, going from Haswell and a 980 to a Ryzen 9 3900x, and I retained the GPU. Playing Borderlands 3, on the Haswell CPU, I was getting 50-60FPS, high settings, ultra distance.

The same graphics card, hooked up to a 3900x, will run Borderlands 3 at 170-190FPS, Ultra settings.

It's so much difference, my GPU actually runs hotter.

Thanks for the Input, Much Appreciated I'm sure for the OP (and myself inc), so thanks for that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

See below :)

Thanks for the Input, Much Appreciated I'm sure for the OP (and myself inc), so thanks for that.

You're welcome. :D

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 hours ago, sa1ntyz said:

We dont even know what you are using your computer for so no one can answer your question period.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv