Ryzen 7 2700x RAM Upgrade Help

Go to solution Solved by geo3,
Just now, onesteeltank said:

Increasing the freq. loosens the timings right? So should I just leave it stock? Or maybe only lower the timings? 

For a 2700X I would run 3200 at CL14. If you care to put the time in you could manually tune the secondary and tertiary timings with the help of something like the Ryzen memory calculator. 

Hello, I am currently using an R7 2700X with 8GB 2400MHz/CL16 RAM (PPP link). I'm currently looking for faster RAM to buy during Black Friday. I read that 3200MHz is the sweet spot for my CPU and found some 3200MHz 14CL - B-Die sticks. However, I've also realized that Ryzen 5000 is best with 4000MHz ram. I plan to get a Zen4 (6000?) CPU, but now I'm afraid that 3200 MHz will be too slow, and I don't want to upgrade my RAM twice. With that being said, should I just get 4000MHz RAM, or should I just stick with the 3200MHz RAM I found (and maybe overclock)? Also, what are the best options for 4000MHz sticks? I am willing to overclock if I can find a good tutorial, so B-die will be fine. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

P.S. - My motherboard is more on the budget side, so I don't know it will be even be able to support 4000MHz ram. What I might do is just buy the faster RAM and run it at lower speeds, and then when Zen 4 comes out I will probably go get the CPU and a new mobo that supports it. Please let me know if this is a good idea as well. 

6 minutes ago, onesteeltank said:

Hello, I am currently using an R7 2700X with 8GB 2400MHz/CL16 RAM (PPP link). I'm currently looking for faster RAM to buy during Black Friday. I read that 3200MHz is the sweet spot for my CPU and found some 3200MHz 14CL - B-Die sticks. However, I've also realized that Ryzen 5000 is best with 4000MHz ram. I plan to get a Zen4 (6000?) CPU, but now I'm afraid that 3200 MHz will be too slow, and I don't want to upgrade my RAM twice. With that being said, should I just get 4000MHz RAM, or should I just stick with the 3200MHz RAM I found (and maybe overclock)? Also, what are the best options for 4000MHz sticks? I am willing to overclock if I can find a good tutorial, so B-die will be fine. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

P.S. - My motherboard is more on the budget side, so I don't know it will be even be able to support 4000MHz ram. What I might do is just buy the faster RAM and run it at lower speeds, and then when Zen 4 comes out I will probably go get the CPU and a new mobo that supports it. Please let me know if this is a good idea as well. 

zen4 will be on ddr5 anyway

and if its b die you might be ablr to overclock it

and 4000mhz is good but can cause stability problems

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

8 minutes ago, mahyar said:

So do you think just getting the 3200mhz one and overclocking it would be the best bet?

9 minutes ago, mahyar said:

You'll see more benefit from tight timings than higher frequency.  3200 @ CL14 is pretty damn good for 2nd gen Ryzen.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

You'll see more benefit from tight timings than higher frequency.  3200 @ CL14 is pretty damn good for 2nd gen Ryzen.

Increasing the freq. loosens the timings right? So should I just leave it stock? Or maybe only lower the timings? 

Just now, onesteeltank said:

For a 2700X I would run 3200 at CL14. If you care to put the time in you could manually tune the secondary and tertiary timings with the help of something like the Ryzen memory calculator. 

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I guess that's what I'll do then, thank you! DDR5 will be interesting to see. 

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv