Fellas, I am confused, Xbox Series X/S

Concil

Obviously SSDs Is the new thing console users are finally getting a hold of, but i was looking into the first party SSD expansion Xbox sells for 220 dollars and comparing it to that of an SSD one might buy for the ps5 which is about 230 dollars. The only issue i find is that the new Xbox consoles only support up to 2.4GB/s uncompressed speed? is that not way below pcie 4.0 spec? Atleast sony has 5.5 GB/s Raw speeds so something like a 980 pro from Samsung isn't wasted on the ps5. so in general i was just wondering is Xbox can even market it's PCIE 4.0 features despite its speeds not being up to spec with 4.0? I don't think it matters anyway since if they made a 1st party solution they can sell it for how ever much money they wanted to, but it seems like a rip off to buy their Seagate partnered expansion storage for 220 dollars which other SSDs at those speeds exist for much cheaper (if they could be used with Microsofts proprietary port)  

Depends on the amount of available lanes.

If the Xbox is only using 2 lanes for their PCI-e interface, then they'd need indeed PCI-e 4.0 to achieve anything higher than 2GB/s.

Theoretically you wouldn't even need PCI-e 3.0 to achieve the 5.5GB/s of the PS4.

PCI-e 2.0 could've done that, but only on a full x16 lane connection.

12 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Depends on the amount of available lanes.

If the Xbox is only using 2 lanes for their PCI-e interface, then they'd need indeed PCI-e 4.0 to achieve anything higher than 2GB/s.

Theoretically you wouldn't even need PCI-e 3.0 to achieve the 5.5GB/s of the PS4.

PCI-e 2.0 could've done that, but only on a full x16 lane connection.

Thanks for the Clarification, was kind of under the assumption that SSDs could only use 4 lanes for any given generation of PCIE, but i guess it would make sense to allocate less lanes to the SSD in pcie 4.0 since they would need less to achieve the same speeds 

5 minutes ago, Concil said:

Thanks for the Clarification, was kind of under the assumption that SSDs could only use 4 lanes for any given generation of PCIE, but i guess it would make sense to allocate less lanes to the SSD in pcie 4.0 since they would need less to achieve the same speeds 

Not sure if that makes much sense to be honest. What else are you using the other lanes for? And its not like the PS4 and Xbox run different hardware - they are almost the same.

The proprietary SSD from Microsoft is certainly a good way to make sure that you as a consumer are tied to this platform. Especially because I think they will be used for the next Xbox too.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Not sure if that makes much sense to be honest. What else are you using the other lanes for? And its not like the PS4 and Xbox run different hardware - they are almost the same.

The proprietary SSD from Microsoft is certainly a good way to make sure that you as a consumer are tied to this platform. Especially because I think they will be used for the next Xbox too.

it is a great solution for the avg consumer, but i am here nit picking the fact that i think it's really pricey for the speeds it actually delivers 

44 minutes ago, Concil said:

it is a great solution for the avg consumer, but i am here nit picking the fact that i think it's really pricey for the speeds it actually delivers 

Keep in mind that raw numbers don't mean much in practice here, especially when proprietary compression methods that can exploit the prowess of the CPU is in play on the Xbox Series S and X. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.