Firefox keeps Windows 10 awake.

Bitter

If I leave Firefox open my Windows 10 PC won't sleep.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_10438723&REV_1001\5&3a9e25c5&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
non-display request

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Both the 'Driver' and 'Process' are stemming from Firefox being open. None of my open tabs have any audio playing, if I close Firefox ONLY then both requests to keep the computer awake vanish. I haven't ran across anyone with a solution to the same problem I'm having, but I have ran across some other people having the same problem.

Any suggestions on how I can allow my PC to sleep AND not have to close Firefox each time I walk away from it?

one of the tabs is actively using the audio channel, so windows assume your are watching / listening something preventing it from sleeping.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

one of the tabs is actively using the audio channel, so windows assume your are watching / listening something preventing it from sleeping.

None of the tabs are using audio as far as I can tell, I can have it open to just this post in a single tab and I get that output from powercfg. There's no audio on this page, is there? I'll try with an about:blank tab as well this evening, I hadn't thought to do that yet.

Besides, why would there also be this request as well?

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

EXECUTION:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
non-display request

That's not audio or a display request, it's like Firefox itself is keeping the PC awake.

So this might be a forum bug.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82984-forum-open-in-firefox-prevents-windows-10-sleep/?do=findComment&comment=891232

@colonel_mortis

I realize this is from a year ago but I can't find much more recent about it. If I set a complete exception in powercfg then the monitor and PC will sleep while playing back video on Youtube which isn't ideal either.

Yes, the forum opens an audio channel (sometimes) to handle notification sounds. Apparently it has to maintain an audio context to work around some bugs with browsers' sound implementations (though it remains buggy). You can work around it by turning off sounds in https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Yes, the forum opens an audio channel (sometimes) to handle notification sounds. Apparently it has to maintain an audio context to work around some bugs with browsers' sound implementations (though it remains buggy). You can work around it by turning off sounds in https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/.

Sounds are off.

Screenshot_20201113-172132_Firefox.jpg

And sounds have always have been.🤐

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Sounds are off.

And sounds have always have been.🤐

Hmm, then I don't think it's the forum that's opening the audio channel here.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

When I get home, thanks friday the 13th, I'll try with a blank tab and other websites too to see if it's here or general. Thanks for replying.

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

It's the forum, I've checked the powercfg requests with default FF home page, ebay, amazon, youtube video paused, another forum, google messages, ebay, folding.extremeoverclocking, yahoo email, and none of them show any requests except this forum or when youtube is playing a video. I'm not sure exactly which element on the page is doing it, I can try using the 'zapper' in ublock origin to kill things one at a time on the page till I find it.

Edit: turned it into a blank black page, still requests in powercfg. It's beyond my abilities to diagnose, I don't know a lick of HTML or Javascript.

It looks like the forum does actually open an audio context even when sounds are disabled - I've reported this to IPS, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next update so that at least it can be solved by disabling sounds.

HTTP/2 203

50 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It looks like the forum does actually open an audio context even when sounds are disabled - I've reported this to IPS, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next update so that at least it can be solved by disabling sounds.

Thanks man, I appreciate your looking into this!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, WikiForce said:

i know this is an old thread but i also have this issue.

Any official update for the fix?

I'm hoping that it will be fixed (so that turning off sounds means that it doesn't open an audio context) in the next IPS update, although it hasn't been released yet so I can't verify that - I anticipate that it will be released in early January, and we should update shortly after that.

HTTP/2 203

I'm just so used to things like this never being fixed that I had forgotten about it and have made it a habit to remember to close LTT forum tabs. How dare they make me develope a new habit!