Is this safe?

NicholasNicholasNicholas
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
7 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

i see. what kind of damage would i be looking for that my psu could have done?

afaik its not somethin you really see untill something dies. 

thermaltake smart is not a notably bad group regulated unit, so it wouldnt be supriced if you dont have any issues. 

I currently have a  Thermaltake ttp-0600p-w with my r5 1600 and rx 480 plus a bunch of harddrives and peripherals. Would it be safe to upgrade to a 2070 super?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Should work but never heard that model tho plus that CPU isn’t best pair

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

Should work but never heard that model tho plus that CPU isn’t best pair

it is for 1440p resolutions so it shouldnt be too great of a bottleneck, i dont expect to get 100+ frames with rtx on at 1440p 

thank you for the advice. i have never heard of it either :( thats why i am unsure if it is reliable or not. it came in a prebuild i got a while back in 2016. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

it is for 1440p resolutions so it shouldnt be too great of a bottleneck, i dont expect to get 100+ frames with rtx on at 1440p 

thank you for the advice. i have never heard of it either :( thats why i am unsure if it is reliable or not. it came in a prebuild i got a while back in 2016. 

i'd get a 5700xt over the 2070 super especially since 2070s are going for like $700 rn

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Yeah but that CPU might not be a good pair at even 1080p not sure tho, also it’s from a prebuilt hmm maybe you should upgrade

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Yeah but that CPU might not be a good pair at even 1080p not sure tho, also it’s from a prebuilt hmm maybe you should upgrade

at 1080p it would be a big bottleneck but at 1440p it wont be a big deal

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

11 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Thermaltake ttp-0600p-w

The Smart 600W is a terrible PSU.

Tier D in the PSUCultists list.

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i'd get a 5700xt over the 2070 super especially since 2070s are going for like $700 rn

i am looking at one for 500 cad. but if i dont get this i think i will get the 3060ti. i would like to get an nvidia card this time because of the better driver support and features. RTX broadcast seems very cool and some of the games that i play (notably sea of thieves) crash ALL THE TIME on my 480. its kind of ridiculous, it makes the game almost unplayable. I cant go 3 hours without a crash. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

The Smart 600W is a terrible PSU.

Tier D in the PSUCultists list.

What exactly does D tier mean? will it damage my hardware? and is the smart 600w the same as mine?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

was but if i dont get this i think i will get the 3060ti.

that card is purely a rumor.

some of the games that i play (notably sea of thieves) crash ALL THE TIME on my 480.

thats probably not a driver issue, but rather something with the card or another part in your pc, amd's drivers have been fine for months now

AMD blackout rig

What exactly does D tier mean? will it damage my hardware? and is the smart 600w the same as mine?

Only or very budget igpu rigs. 

As a owner of a smart, get a new one first. 

Im working on a new build, and the first thing im dooing is upgrading the psu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

and is the smart 600w the same as mine?

its the model number you gave. 

What exactly does D tier mean?

most likely a group regulated unit, or a unit that falls short in terms of voltage regulation. 

3 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

will it damage my hardware?

it depends a bit on the load conditions. but sorta yes. generally not a good idea to run group regulated units. there are good group regulated units, but they should in general be avoided in favor of other options. 

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

that card is purely a rumor.

thats probably not a driver issue, but rather something with the card or another part in your pc, amd's drivers have been fine for months now

the card is practically confirmed at this point. there was the video from saudi arabia, there was the leak from redgamingtech and mooreslawisdead (who have been almost entirely correct about the ampere launch, the only thing they got wrong was the boost in performance from turing to ampere raytracing) and if you go on the nvidia subreddit there was just a dude who posted a screenshot of an email from the bestbuy that he works at. there have also been websites that accidentally launched from gpu manufacturers

and yes, it is a driver issue, or an optimization issue. idk which. all i know is the dev team is relatively small and amd cards run poorly and crash frequently. my friend with a 480 has the same problem and my friend with a 1060 does not. additionally there are constant bugs for amd cards, just recently all lights practically blinded me because of an issue on gcn cards. regardless of whether or not it is amd or the developer, at this point i would just like to sit down and enjoy my games without any issues. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its the model number you gave. 

most likely a group regulated unit, or a unit that falls short in terms of voltage regulation. 

it depends a bit on the load conditions. but sorta yes. generally not a good idea to run group regulated units. there are good group regulated units, but they should in general be avoided in favor of other options. 

i see. if i were to underclock the card until i get a new psu would it make it safer? 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

all i know is the dev team is relatively small and amd cards run poorly and crash frequently.

i have had 0 issues with my 5700xt, is your 480 4gb or 8gb?

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i have had 0 issues with my 5700xt, is your 480 4gb or 8gb?

4 gb. however i can see how much vram is being used in the driver and it generally doesnt run out 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

5 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

the card is practically confirmed at this point. there was the video from saudi arabia, there was the leak from redgamingtech and mooreslawisdead (who have been almost entirely correct about the ampere launch, the only thing they got wrong was the boost in performance from turing to ampere raytracing) and if you go on the nvidia subreddit there was just a dude who posted a screenshot of an email from the bestbuy that he works at. there have also been websites that accidentally launched from gpu manufacturers

my bad

AMD blackout rig

18 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

i see. if i were to underclock the card until i get a new psu would it make it safer? 

wouldnt change the issue really. just dont run it for an extended period of time, just replace it relativly shortly. 

as its running it for a longer time that is the issue. (not as in 24/7 usage, but like a couple of months)

Just now, GoldenLag said:

wouldnt change the issue really. just dont run it for an extended period of time, just replace it relativly shortly. 

as its running it for a longer time that is the issue. (not as in 24/7 usage, but like a couple of months)

i see. its been running every day for four years. does this mean that it is not a bad model? or could it still break at any time 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

i see. its been running every day for four years. does this mean that it is not a bad model? or could it still break at any time 

it may or may not have had a negative effect on the motherboard or GPU in your system. it depends a bit on the load it has been sustained with. 

usually you dont notice anything, and you can run with it for a very long time without noticing anything. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

it may or may not have had a negative effect on the motherboard or GPU in your system. it depends a bit on the load it has been sustained with. 

usually you dont notice anything, and you can run with it for a very long time without noticing anything. 

i have noticed that my 480 is no longer stable with a high overvolt. before i could push it to 1450 with +100mv on the vcore and now i have to run it at stock but i just assumed this was due to normal degradation from the high voltage. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

5 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

i have noticed that my 480 is no longer stable with a high overvolt. before i could push it to 1450 with +100mv on the vcore and now i have to run it at stock but i just assumed this was due to normal degradation from the high voltage. 

thats probably due to the higher input voltage, unlikely that the input 12v filtering would have a notable effect. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

thats probably due to the higher input voltage, unlikely that the input 12v filtering would have a notable effect. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

7 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

thermaltake smart is not a notably bad group regulated unit, so it wouldnt be supriced if you dont have any issues. 

27 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i see. thank you for all the information 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200