Building a PC for my 8 year old cousin

SleepingGiant

Budget (including currency): $600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, fall guys, mostly light games

Other detailsdetail: 

Cpu: r3 3100, r3 3300x, or r5 3400G

Mobo: asus b450 tuf or asrock b450 steel legend

Ram: hypex fury rgb 16gb (2×8gb) 3200mhz

Gpu: rx 580 4or8gbor gtx 1660

Storage: 250gb or 500gb nvme from crucial and 1tb hdd

Psu: 500w-650w

Case: tecware forge M

Reasoning: future usability and compatibility for each parts

Cpu: 3100 for the cheapest one of the bunch

3300x availability is slim to none(but the performance you get is just to good for it not to be in the list)

3400G i think it can handle light gaming and it has more threads than the 3200G(should we go for 3200G?)

Mobo: mATX size. Leaning towards asus but he's a lil kid and likes shiny rgb

Ram: shiny rgb(meh)

Gpu: not really sure on what to do here. If we get an APU we won't need a gpu. We could just wait and upgrade in the future(i think)

Storage: 500gb($65-80) nvme is over kill, right?

Psu: any suggestions?

Case: it has free 3rgb fans

Any suggestions on how to maximize the budget?

I really want to add a gpu at least a 4gb one that will last and will handle modern titles(he might unlock the pc master race inside him) at mid to low settings or just get the apu and wait to have more budget to add a higher gpu? This is confusing (brain go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

May I just ask what country is SEA or do you live underwater?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, SleepingGiant said:

Budget (including currency): $600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, fall guys, mostly light games

Other detailsdetail: 

Cpu: r3 3100, r3 3300x, or r5 3400G

Mobo: asus b450 tuf or asrock b450 steel legend

Ram: hypex fury rgb 16gb (2×8gb) 3200mhz

Gpu: rx 580 4or8gbor gtx 1660

Storage: 250gb or 500gb nvme from crucial and 1tb hdd

Psu: 500w-650w

Case: tecware forge M

Reasoning: future usability and compatibility for each parts

Cpu: 3100 for the cheapest one of the bunch

3300x availability is slim to none(but the performance you get is just to good for it not to be in the list)

3400G i think it can handle light gaming and it has more threads than the 3200G(should we go for 3200G?)

Mobo: mATX size. Leaning towards asus but he's a lil kid and likes shiny rgb

Ram: shiny rgb(meh)

Gpu: not really sure on what to do here. If we get an APU we won't need a gpu. We could just wait and upgrade in the future(i think)

Storage: 500gb($65-80) nvme is over kill, right?

Psu: any suggestions?

Case: it has free 3rgb fans

Any suggestions on how to maximize the budget?

I really want to add a gpu at least a 4gb one that will last and will handle modern titles(he might unlock the pc master race inside him) at mid to low settings or just get the apu and wait to have more budget to add a higher gpu? This is confusing (brain go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Hi. That's cool, getting a youngin into the pc gaming scene! LOL. I'm also in a similar situation right now and been doing research and such.

Ryzen 3100 would be perfect as a starter CPU, I'd go with that.

I'd go with the 1660 over the RX580 any day of the week however you could also consider a used GTX 1070.

Keep it simple for kids. One hard drive is easier to get to grips with than two. Kids don't want to have to figure out which drive to install stuff on etc. I would go with a single 500GB SSD.

8GB to 16GB of 3200mhz CL16 RAM is perfect. Just whatever the cheapest deal you can get is fine, don't worry about brand.

Motherboard - any AM4 with an RGB header. Then you can plug in fans or rgb strips or whatever and he can control them from the PC.

PSU - 450W to 500W should be fine. No need to go any higher. All black cables is preferable just for looks.

Case: Many cases come with fans pre installed. These are pretty solid and affordable (at least in the UK) https://www.tecware.co/forgem

I would indeed do the 3100 + b450 board + 16gb of ram combo.

The steel legend is a more expensive pro 4 due to rgb the tuf is not a good b450 board look at basically anything from msi that also has max in the title a mortar max should fit nicely here. If you really want some sweet rgb get like a 5 pack of rgb fan. About 35$ and well far more rgb than spending more for the little things like board and ram rgb.

Gpu I'd say go used and go nuts. Would also just leave a lot more money for other parts.

Psu wise there is the mwe gold series (not the v2) that is both a really sold psu and affordable usually.

The forge m argb case has 4 rgb fans so even better.

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

May I just ask what country is SEA or do you live underwater?

S-outh

E-ast

A-sia

it's totally fine

1 hour ago, Shabba said:

Hi. That's cool, getting a youngin into the pc gaming scene! LOL. I'm also in a similar situation right now and been doing research and such.

Ryzen 3100 would be perfect as a starter CPU, I'd go with that.

I'd go with the 1660 over the RX580 any day of the week however you could also consider a used GTX 1070.

Keep it simple for kids. One hard drive is easier to get to grips with than two. Kids don't want to have to figure out which drive to install stuff on etc. I would go with a single 500GB SSD.

8GB to 16GB of 3200mhz CL16 RAM is perfect. Just whatever the cheapest deal you can get is fine, don't worry about brand.

Motherboard - any AM4 with an RGB header. Then you can plug in fans or rgb strips or whatever and he can control them from the PC.

PSU - 450W to 500W should be fine. No need to go any higher. All black cables is preferable just for looks.

Case: Many cases come with fans pre installed. These are pretty solid and affordable (at least in the UK) https://www.tecware.co/forgem

Ram is Ram lol

This is good advice. Thank you

On 11/12/2020 at 11:36 PM, jaslion said:

I would indeed do the 3100 + b450 board + 16gb of ram combo.

The steel legend is a more expensive pro 4 due to rgb the tuf is not a good b450 board look at basically anything from msi that also has max in the title a mortar max should fit nicely here. If you really want some sweet rgb get like a 5 pack of rgb fan. About 35$ and well far more rgb than spending more for the little things like board and ram rgb.

Gpu I'd say go used and go nuts. Would also just leave a lot more money for other parts.

Psu wise there is the mwe gold series (not the v2) that is both a really sold psu and affordable usually.

The forge m argb case has 4 rgb fans so even better.

Tuf series was bad? Lol. the steel legend was in the option due to it having rgb(for the kid)

I'm actually using an msi b450 board for my personal rig(why didn't i think of that, duh)

As for the used gpu market, i will consult with my cousins dad(he's the one buying/paying for the parts) getting a cheap deal but with no product warranties might be a pretty hard sell

What brand name are the psu you're talking about?

The case, so the advertisment lied to me. The description/info stated that there were 3rgb fans included in the package