Building a Studio For Recording + Streaming

BLSmith2112
Go to solution Solved by LaFemmeEnVert,
1 hour ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Thanks for another information filled reply, I really appreciate it!! This is starting to make more sense to me. 

1. $1500. 2 LAV Microphone Receiver/Transmitters.
  2. $80. $250 Audio Mixer.
  3. $10. Microphone Receiver to Audio Mixer Cable (guessing this will be included in #1 or #2). YES, normally included!
  4. $2610. 4 DSLRs (~3x Panasonic GH4 w/kit lens, + the Panasonic GH4 I currently own + power adapters so no batteries needed).
  5. $40. HDMI Cables.
  6. $400. Video Mixer (To connect all 4 DSLR HDMI cables).
  7. $900. Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO.
  8. $100. External USB-C HDD. No need for recording PC, just my current editing PC. Edit: I'd need a laptop or PC plugged into the ATEM Mini to monitor the 4 cameras right? Woops, so yes I'd need a custom PC or laptop. 
  9. $5160. Total, under budget.

I don't need a video mixer because the Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO is also a mixer.

The connections would go as follows:

• Panasonic GH4 (x4) > Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable (x4) > Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO (x1) > USB-C HDD (x1). This, with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO attached via USB to a PC will allow me to use one monitor to see, and record all (x4) GH4 DSLR feeds in real time, plus if connected through the company's network, I can also stream the output/directed video feed in 1080p at the same time.  After a shoot, I can unplug the USB-C HDD from the ATEM Mini Pro, and plug it into a PC and import the footage for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.

That sound about right? 

Here is how you will connect the cameras to live streaming

4 cameras > HDMI cables (maybe you want 15-20ft cables for the distance between camera and ATEM) > ATEM Mini Pro ISO:

From the ATEM Mini Pro ISO

• you will connect a USB-C based SSD Drive (maybe multiple SSD drives using a USB Hub) for ISO recording
  • Ethernet connection for live stream, as the ATEM Mini has a built in live streaming engine with presets for some services
  • Computer on same network to access the ATEM Mini's setup page on a browser using the IP address of the ATEM Mini

For the audio

Microphones > Audio mixer > ATEM Mini via maybe XLR to Mini-jack line cable

If you buy something like the Sennheiser Wireless Lav kits (like the image below), in the box they usually include 2 cables for the receiver unit. Mini-jack to XLR and Mini-jack to Mini-jack cable.  If you're in a studio setup, don't buy a kit where the receiver is a bodypack unit like in the image below.

Sennheiser EW 112P G4 Camera-Mount Wireless Omni Lavalier Microphone System (A: 516 to 558 MHz)

Look for a kit with a rack/desktop based receiver.  Check with your supplier (if you live in the US, maybe give B&H a call or online chat with their experts) that they include the right cables for connections, good antennas, and features that reduce any risk of interference. It's important that you get a good quality wireless system that can mitigate any chances of interference.  Otherwise use wired mics, in which case you just Microphones > XLR cable > Audio mixer

You can even find lapel mics that have long cables or adapters to make them wired instead of wireless.

1551968575_IMG_946276.jpg

After a shoot, I can unplug the USB-C HDD from the ATEM Mini Pro, and plug it into a PC and import the footage for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.

YES! And as it is the ATEM Mini that has the record start/stop button, all the different video and audio files on the USB drive should have the same timecode for easy sync.

Edit: I'd need a laptop or PC plugged into the ATEM Mini to monitor the 4 cameras right?

No, you just need a computer screen connected to the HDMI out on the back of the ATEM Mini for the multiview.

You can use any computer on the same network to access the ATEM Mini's setup/configuration control panel which is a web browser based interface. This can be any computer, no need for custom builds.

If you are not doing the ISO recording at the same time as you are live streaming, you can have a computer with OBS or other software for live streaming by connecting the ATEM to the computer by the USB-C port behind the ATEM Mini (as you are not connecting a USB drive), but you don't need a very powerful computer because the video signal encoding should be done by the hardware inside the ATEM Mini.  The only thing the computer will do is connect to the streaming server.

Just to be clear, you get 2 methods to stream with the ATEM Mini

1. Stream directly using the ATEM Mini to the pre-configured platforms they have built in (Youtube, Facebook and Twitch, and if you can modify the XML files you can configure other streaming servers)
2. Connect the ATEM Mini to a computer and use OBS, Wirecast or other software to do the streaming.

As you already have an editing PC for video editing, I don't see a need for another custom PC build for the live streaming.

Hi there. I'm looking to build a small studio for work.

Budget: ~$10,000.

Goal:

1. I sit at a "monitor-table" (for lack of better word) 10 feet from talent, who is standing at a desk.
  2. There are 4 DSLRs (left, right, front, top down), all plugged into the wall with no batteries.
  3. At the monitor-table, I can view the viewport to all 4 DSLRs. This is to make sure all cameras are working properly. 
  4. At the monitor table, I can listen to the talent talking into a LAV microphone to ensure good audio quality (up to two microphones).
  5. At the monitor table, I can record all four DSLR videos separately (these separate videos are referred to as "ISOs") for a hard copy of each camera's video sent directly to PC hard drive, not SD cards. 
  6. At the monitor table, I can record one "output" video that records me directing an event in real time, switching between each camera for a total of 5 recorded videos recorded for every event.
  7. At the monitor table, I can stream the "output" video to any streaming service while also recording all 5 video streams at the same time. 
  8. Ideally, I would sit down at the monitor-table, push "go", all 4 DSLRs would turn on, start recording and start streaming. I'd be able to monitor video/audio, stream, and record in 4K. If I can only Stream or only record, I would be able to live with this. 

What I think I need:

1. 4 DSLRs
  2. 2 Wireless LAV Microphones capable of recording in a thick walled warehouse. May also consider qualitative boom mic as a replacement. 
  3. 4 DSLR Monitors, or simply one PC monitor that shows all 4 cameras live viewers. 
  4. Switching/Recording/Streaming Software (nothing fancy). OBS?
  5. Custom built PC* (May be able to exceed budget if the spend on this is higher than I'm expecting). 
  6. This does not include lighting. That will be solved later. 
  7. Some kinda capture card system that will allow 4 DSLR cameras as inputs (4k possible?).

Is this something doable? Thanks so much guys & gals. 

Video Producer, Milwaukee Wisconsin.

im not an expert for the DSLR´s you could use but i just wanted to point out that these 4k streams from the cameras will be a LOT of data, you probably gonna need a NAS which a large number of HDD´s just to be able to save all that footage in real time.

If you want to save these videos at 4k60 which a decently high bitrate you are fully saturating a 1gb/s network connection so you would either need to go much lower or you also gonna need 10G network equipment so it never bottlenecks.

If something like 4k30 with a bitrate like you would see on youtube videos is enough you could easily do this with just a few hard drives but the question is will that footage only be stored short term or are you interested in proper redundant file storage eitherway?

Hi Pixel, totally! So the way I look at this is, the project might be large, but my company pays for unlimited Google Drive storage and has a 500mb/s upload speed. Each project will be large, but once the project is marked as complete, the project is archived pretty much that same day.

That being said, 4K is not a hard requirement, it is simply meant as a way to future proof the content. If we had to record + stream at 1080, that is sufficient for the next several years. We could start at 1080 and work our way up over time, if we're going to have network issues that we need to bring up with our IT department. It would simply be ideal to have the option to Stream/Record at 4K so we don't need to make additional hardware purchases (aside from 10gb/s networking) a few short years from now. 

2 hours ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Hi there. I'm looking to build a small studio for work.

Budget: ~$10,000.

Goal:

1. I sit at a "monitor-table" (for lack of better word) 10 feet from talent, who is standing at a desk.
  2. There are 4 DSLRs (left, right, front, top down), all plugged into the wall with no batteries.
  3. At the monitor-table, I can view the viewport to all 4 DSLRs. This is to make sure all cameras are working properly. 
  4. At the monitor table, I can listen to the talent talking into a LAV microphone to ensure good audio quality (up to two microphones).
  5. At the monitor table, I can record all four DSLR videos separately (these separate videos are referred to as "ISOs") for a hard copy of each camera's video sent directly to PC hard drive, not SD cards. 
  6. At the monitor table, I can record one "output" video that records me directing an event in real time, switching between each camera for a total of 5 recorded videos recorded for every event.
  7. At the monitor table, I can stream the "output" video to any streaming service while also recording all 5 video streams at the same time. 
  8. Ideally, I would sit down at the monitor-table, push "go", all 4 DSLRs would turn on, start recording and start streaming. I'd be able to monitor video/audio, stream, and record in 4K. If I can only Stream or only record, I would be able to live with this. 

What I think I need:

1. 4 DSLRs
  2. 2 Wireless LAV Microphones capable of recording in a thick walled warehouse. May also consider qualitative boom mic as a replacement. 
  3. 4 DSLR Monitors, or simply one PC monitor that shows all 4 cameras live viewers. 
  4. Switching/Recording/Streaming Software (nothing fancy). OBS?
  5. Custom built PC* (May be able to exceed budget if the spend on this is higher than I'm expecting). 
  6. This does not include lighting. That will be solved later. 
  7. Some kinda capture card system that will allow 4 DSLR cameras as inputs (4k possible?).

Is this something doable? Thanks so much guys & gals. 

You will need to make some changes if you want a 4 camera 2 mic streaming recording setup.

Recording is easy, record the video of each camera to their internal memory cards and later in a video editor, synchronize them in a multi-cam timeline.

For live streaming, here are a few flaws in your setup.

• DSLRs have only 1 output for video, the HDMI output.  If you attach a monitor to each camera to view what it is filming, you need a monitor that has video loop out.  Since you want 4K, you need a monitor loop out that supports 4K.
  • For the 2 microphones, it is better to connect the audio from them into an audio mixer.
  • The audio from the audio mixer will go into the video mixer.
  • For the 4 cameras, you are better off using a video mixer instead of using multiple capture cards and connect them to a computer.  Software video mixers are not fun to use, if you are also planning to use the computer for streaming.  Since you want 4K streaming, the cheapest 4K video mixer is the Blackmagic ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K which cost $3000.  And it only has SDI input so you need to convert HDMI from the cameras to SDI with HDMI to SDI convert.  Since you want 4K, those converters need to support 4K.  A converter like this costs between $150-400, and you need 4 converters.
  • The ATEM TV studio doesn't have ISO recording, but it does have SDI loopout for each input so you can connect 4 separate video recorders if you want ISO recordings of each camera.   But you can also choose to do the recording in each camera.
  • Another benefit of a video mixer is they have multiview out, so you can connect a monitor and see a multi view of all the camera inputs, the preview/next shot and the program out shot. So you only need 1 monitor to view all cameras.
  • If you don't need to stream in 4K, you can save a lot of money.  You can buy the Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO which supports
    • ISO recording of all 4 camera inputs and the mixed, so you get 5 video recordings.
    • The video inputs are HDMI so you don't need HDMI to SDI converters.
    • You can connect via ethernet and stream to Youtube, Facebook, Skype, Twitch, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and any other preset it has built-in using Stream ID and Stream Key.  If you connect a USB-C based drive to the USB port of the ATEM mini for ISO recording, you can't connect the ATEM Mini to a computer for streaming so you need to use the ethernet connection.  Luckily you can use a computer connected on the same network to configure the ATEM Mini.  It also comes with a HDMI video out for multiview.

If you want to stream 4 cameras in 4K, you will be using at least half your $10,000.00 budget on the video mixing equipment.  You don't even have 4 cameras yet.  Nor do you have a computer built.

This are some of the hardware you need for 4K streaming, with the lowest budget.

• Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K (4 pieces) $1300.00/piece
    • This camera already has SDI connections for output so you don't need a HDMI to SDI converter
      • You just need a Mini SDI to standard SDI cable
    • Lenses for each camera
    • Unfortunately not possible to record internally to memory card as the cameras don't have memory card slots
    • But as these are BM camera, you can control the cameras using a BM ATEM Switcher
  • ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K $3000.00
  • Monitor for multiview.  Any computer monitor with HDMI input will do.  I do recommend a monitor of at least 24 inch in size, 27-32 will be more ideal.
  • A way to record the video from each camera individually.  Maybe the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Mini.  As you have 4 cameras, you will need 4 of these devices.  They record to SD cards, and they support dual SD cards, and record up to 4K.  $700/piece
    • I think they can also be controlled from the ATEM Studio to start/stop recording
  • 2 microphones, either wired or wireless.
    • If you go wireless, you need 2 bodypack transmitters and either 2 receivers or a single receiver with dual channel.  Do not go cheap here, go for something from Sennheiser at the minimum (would cost you around $1500-2000 for a 2 mic kit).
    • With wireless, you want a system that can deal with potential wireless interference.
  • Audio mixer, 2-4 input desktop audio mixers are not expensive.
  • As most of the video mixing and inputs are handled by the ATEM Studio, you don't need a very powerful computer to do the streaming but you may need one for editig.  For the streaming software, I recommend Wirecast instead of OBS.  Wirecast costs about $600 for a license.
  • Cables and other accessories.

Already the cost here is (only for the items in bold): about $11,000.00

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Wow this is great @LaFemmeEnVert!! Thanks for writing this up. Very very helpful. 

2 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

record the video of each camera to their internal memory cards

I'd like the ability to record all 4 ISOs + Output directly to a PC as 5 seperate videos without SD cards. Is this possible?

2 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

synchronize them in a multi-cam timeline

I actually remember disliking Premiere's Multicam feature. It's been a few years, so my memory is hazy - I remember only having a single video on a timeline, when I much prefer seeing all 5 videos on top of eachother, so I can get a much more granular level of control. 

Streaming: 
Regarding Streaming in 4K: I agree. This sounds expensive. Lets Stream in 1080p. It sounds like what I need is:

2. $80. Audio Mixer.
  3. $10. Microphone Receiver to Audio Mixer Cable.
  4. $2610. 4 DSLRs (~3x Panasonic GH4 w/kit lens, + the Panasonic GH4 I currently own + power adapters so no batteries needed).
  5. $40. HDMI Cables.
  8. $3000. Custom built PC w/External USB-C HDD for ISO recordings.  Can spec the PC later, but hardware specific need requirements are welcome. Laptop would be fantastic for portability but not required. I currently have an editing system for video editing/animation (6900K, 128GB Ram, 1080GTX/M5000/M5000).
  9. $8540. Total, under budget.

What I don't fully understand and I need to do research on: 

1. Understanding more about what a video mixer is, "multi-view out," so that I can use a single monitor rather than many.
  2. Understanding the ATEM Mini, recording while Streaming, and figuring how how to work with it on the Network. Does the ATEM have the software for the recording aspect? Trying to understanding how I'd monitor each DSLR. 

This is so great, thanks so far!

I'd like the ability to record all 4 ISOs + Output directly to a PC as 5 seperate videos without SD cards. Is this possible?

It's better to use an external recorder than PC, and there are some limitations with trying to use 1 PC to record several independent cameras.  1 problem is the capture devices and the other is recording software, if you try to use Premiere to do the recording you can only record from 1 capture device at a time.  And you need 1 capture device for each camera.  Blackmagic does make a Decklink card (8K Pro) that has 4 SDI inputs, each supporting up to 8K but I don't know if you can capture 4 inputs at the same time.

It's better to use an external recorder as you have better independent controls.

Blackmagic makes a recorder that uses CFast cards for recording, you can record 4 independent inputs.  The cost of the recorder is $5000

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hyperdeckextreme/techspecs/W-HYD-08

Blackmagic also makes Hyperdeck recorders that use SSD drives, the price starts from $995 each, and with them you need 1 recorder for each camera feed.

Or you can use Atomos recording devices that record to SSD.

If you go for the ATEM Mini Pro ISO as your video mixer, you don't need to record to PC or use external recording devices.  Essentially, ignore what I said above.

I actually remember disliking Premiere's Multicam feature. It's been a few years, so my memory is hazy - I remember only having a single video on a timeline, when I much prefer seeing all 5 videos on top of eachother, so I can get a much more granular level of control. 

You don't need to use Premiere for editing, other video editing software supports multi-cam editing.  Premiere's multicam feature is for editing, not live streaming.  You can buy DaVinci Resolve Studio for $300.

What I don't fully understand and I need to do research on: 

1. Understanding more about what a video mixer is, "multi-view out," so that I can use a single monitor rather than many.
  2. Understanding the ATEM Mini, recording while Streaming, and figuring how how to work with it on the Network. Does the ATEM have the software for the recording aspect? Trying to understanding how I'd monitor each DSLR. 

A video mixer (some people call them vision mixer or video switcher) is usually a hardware device (there are some software based video mixers) that takes in video and audio feeds from multiple sources and lets you switch between those different video inputs.  They come with different types of built in transitions when you change sources, with some you can layer graphics on top, like a news channel.

Multiview means on 1 screen you can see the inputs of multiple cameras or other video sources in a grid pattern.  Like in the image below

Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Audio Mixer Screen- view while on switcher?

The ATEM Mini will record to a connected USB-C SSD drive, each HDMI input will be 1 file of recording, and the files will already be prepared to be workable in DaVinci Resolve.  Because the USB-C port is being used for the SSD drive, the ATEM mini will use the Ethernet port to send out the live stream using the built in streaming software instead of something like Wirecast or OBS.  You need to use a computer connected on the same network to access the ATEM mini's configuration page on a browser using the IP address.

If the USB-C port on the ATEM mini is not being used for the ISO recording, you can connect it to a computer and the computer can do the job of streaming via OBS, Wirecast or other software.  In this case, the computer sees the ATEM Mini as a webcam device that has up to 4 different cameras.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

Live Stream via Ethernet on ATEM Mini Pro

The ATEM Mini Pro (includes ISO model too) model has a built in hardware streaming engine for live streaming via its built in Ethernet connection. That means you can live stream to YouTube, Facebook and Twitch in better quality, without dropped frames and with much simpler settings. Just select the streaming service and enter the streaming key! There are palettes in ATEM Software Control for streaming setup and status, plus streaming status is also displayed in the multiview. Streaming status is easy to understand as the data rate indicator shows internet speed required for the video format you're using. If you're technically minded, you can even hack the detailed streaming profiles in the XML preference file and load new services.

Record Direct to USB Flash Disks with ATEM Mini Pro
The ATEM Mini Pro model also supports direct recording of your streaming data to USB flash disks! That means you get very long recordings in the same H.264 video files with AAC audio that you streamed, so you can direct upload to any online video site, such as YouTube and Vimeo. ATEM Mini Pro supports multiple disks when used with a USB hub or Blackmagic MultiDock, so when a disk fills recording can continue to a second disk for non-stop recording. Record settings and disk selection are set up in ATEM Software Control and there's a record status view in the built in multiview. You can even trigger recording on external Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras!

Edit Live Production with Separate ISO Recordings!

The ATEM Mini Pro ISO model lets you edit your live event because it can record 5 video streams, including clean feeds of all inputs and the program recording, all at the same time! Media pool images used are also saved with the video files. The video files include metadata tags such as synced timecode and camera numbers. Imagine re-editing your show with new color grades, effects and graphics! Even the audio sources are all recorded so you can professionally remix your audio!

Streaming: 
Regarding Streaming in 4K: I agree. This sounds expensive. Lets Stream in 1080p. It sounds like what I need is:

2. $80. Audio Mixer.
  3. $10. Microphone Receiver to Audio Mixer Cable.
  5. $40. HDMI Cables.
  8. $3000. Custom built PC w/External USB-C HDD for ISO recordings.  Can spec the PC later, but hardware specific need requirements are welcome. Laptop would be fantastic for portability but not required. I currently have an editing system for video editing/animation (6900K, 128GB Ram, 1080GTX/M5000/M5000).
  9. $8540. Total, under budget.

Don't cheap out on an audio mixer, get a decent one.  Get something with a control panel that has fader sliders and gain knobs so you can quickly react to changes in audio. Even though you only have 2 mics, go with a 4 or 6 or 8 channel mixer.  Gives you room to add extra mics or other audio sources.

If you buy the ATEM Mini Pro ISO, you don't need a video mixer.  The ATEM Mini Pro in itself is a video mixer/switcher.

Don't forget to buy some good studio monitor over ear headphones to monitor audio.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Thanks for another information filled reply, I really appreciate it!! This is starting to make more sense to me. 

3. $10. Microphone Receiver to Audio Mixer Cable (guessing this will be included in #1 or #2). 
  5. $40. HDMI Cables.
  8. $100. External USB-C HDD. No need for recording PC, just my current editing PC. Edit: I'd need a laptop or PC plugged into the ATEM Mini to monitor the 4 cameras right? Woops, so yes I'd need a custom PC or laptop. 

I don't need a video mixer because the Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO is also a mixer.

• Panasonic GH4 (x4) > Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable (x4) > Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO (x1) > USB-C HDD (x1). This, with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO attached via USB to a PC will allow me to use one monitor to see, and record all (x4) GH4 DSLR feeds in real time, plus if connected through the company's network, I can also stream the output/directed video feed in 1080p at the same time.  After a shoot, I can unplug the USB-C HDD from the ATEM Mini Pro, and plug it into a PC and import the footage for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.

That sound about right? 

3. $10. Microphone Receiver to Audio Mixer Cable (guessing this will be included in #1 or #2). YES, normally included!
  5. $40. HDMI Cables.

That sound about right? 

Here is how you will connect the cameras to live streaming

4 cameras > HDMI cables (maybe you want 15-20ft cables for the distance between camera and ATEM) > ATEM Mini Pro ISO:

From the ATEM Mini Pro ISO

• you will connect a USB-C based SSD Drive (maybe multiple SSD drives using a USB Hub) for ISO recording
  • Ethernet connection for live stream, as the ATEM Mini has a built in live streaming engine with presets for some services
  • Computer on same network to access the ATEM Mini's setup page on a browser using the IP address of the ATEM Mini

For the audio

Microphones > Audio mixer > ATEM Mini via maybe XLR to Mini-jack line cable

If you buy something like the Sennheiser Wireless Lav kits (like the image below), in the box they usually include 2 cables for the receiver unit. Mini-jack to XLR and Mini-jack to Mini-jack cable.  If you're in a studio setup, don't buy a kit where the receiver is a bodypack unit like in the image below.

Sennheiser EW 112P G4 Camera-Mount Wireless Omni Lavalier Microphone System (A: 516 to 558 MHz)

Look for a kit with a rack/desktop based receiver.  Check with your supplier (if you live in the US, maybe give B&H a call or online chat with their experts) that they include the right cables for connections, good antennas, and features that reduce any risk of interference. It's important that you get a good quality wireless system that can mitigate any chances of interference.  Otherwise use wired mics, in which case you just Microphones > XLR cable > Audio mixer

You can even find lapel mics that have long cables or adapters to make them wired instead of wireless.

1551968575_IMG_946276.jpg

After a shoot, I can unplug the USB-C HDD from the ATEM Mini Pro, and plug it into a PC and import the footage for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.

YES! And as it is the ATEM Mini that has the record start/stop button, all the different video and audio files on the USB drive should have the same timecode for easy sync.

Edit: I'd need a laptop or PC plugged into the ATEM Mini to monitor the 4 cameras right?

No, you just need a computer screen connected to the HDMI out on the back of the ATEM Mini for the multiview.

You can use any computer on the same network to access the ATEM Mini's setup/configuration control panel which is a web browser based interface. This can be any computer, no need for custom builds.

If you are not doing the ISO recording at the same time as you are live streaming, you can have a computer with OBS or other software for live streaming by connecting the ATEM to the computer by the USB-C port behind the ATEM Mini (as you are not connecting a USB drive), but you don't need a very powerful computer because the video signal encoding should be done by the hardware inside the ATEM Mini.  The only thing the computer will do is connect to the streaming server.

Just to be clear, you get 2 methods to stream with the ATEM Mini

1. Stream directly using the ATEM Mini to the pre-configured platforms they have built in (Youtube, Facebook and Twitch, and if you can modify the XML files you can configure other streaming servers)
2. Connect the ATEM Mini to a computer and use OBS, Wirecast or other software to do the streaming.

As you already have an editing PC for video editing, I don't see a need for another custom PC build for the live streaming.

46 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

you will connect a USB-C based SSD Drive (maybe multiple SSD drives using a USB Hub) for ISO recording

Any issues going with a large USB-C based SSD Drive vs. several small ones? 

49 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Computer on same network to access the ATEM Mini's setup page on a browser using the IP address of the ATEM Mini

This is a small thing, but I'll have to contend with our IT department to get this to work. They're very picky over what has network access but I suspect I'll be able to get permissions on this.

50 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Look for a kit with a rack/desktop based receiver.

Will do! As far as wireless, our talent is pretty picky about that and prefers wireless. So we'd ether have to go Wireless LAV or wired boom mic with some superior level of quality (as most boom mics I've used that can remain hidden from all 4 cameras is tough and sound quality suffers as a result). 

52 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

if you can modify the XML files you can configure other streaming servers

This is something we'll likely have to do. Unfortunately my company decides to use the most obscure, non popular streaming services in the name of security, but forget that if your streaming anything anywhere, there is no guaranteed security since anyone can screen cap anything these days haha.  

53 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

As you already have an editing PC for video editing, I don't see a need for another custom PC build for the live streaming

This is solid. Thanks so much for all your help!!!

4 minutes ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Any issues going with a large USB-C based SSD Drive vs. several small ones? 

This is a small thing, but I'll have to contend with our IT department to get this to work. They're very picky over what has network access but I suspect I'll be able to get permissions on this.

Will do! As far as wireless, our talent is pretty picky about that and prefers wireless. So we'd ether have to go Wireless LAV or wired boom mic with some superior level of quality (as most boom mics I've used that can remain hidden from all 4 cameras is tough and sound quality suffers as a result). 

This is something we'll likely have to do. Unfortunately my company decides to use the most obscure, non popular streaming services in the name of security, but forget that if your streaming anything anywhere, there is no guaranteed security since anyone can screen cap anything these days haha.  

This is solid. Thanks so much for all your help!!!

No problem with large capacity SSD drives like 2TB, but buy from a reliable brand.  Samsung and G-Tech sells very reliable USB-C ssd drives.  You may want to have a couple drives on hand in case the live streaming goes on for hours and the drive fills up.

For the audio, go wireless lav then.  But make sure it’s a good system.  Do not cheap out, budget systems are more susceptible to interference.

I understand.  Right now I have three clients who are “convinced” to use Zoom for holding their conventions because it’s easy for people to use.

You’re welcome, anytime.

12 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

o problem with large capacity SSD drives like 2TB, but buy from a reliable brand.

Understood 100%. The content would likely be copy/pasted and then wiped from the drive after every project. Our longest shoot(s) last for approximately 5 hours, so as long as I can get 5-10 hours of 1080p footage from 5 ISOs it'll be nice to simply offload one drive after every project. 

You may want to have a couple drives on hand in case the live streaming goes on for hours and the drive fills up.

Not a bad idea.

For the audio, go wireless lav then.  But make sure it’s a good system.  Do not cheap out, budget systems are more susceptible to interference.

Thanks to your help, it looks like we have a bit of wiggle room in the budget now for a nice wireless system :)

One last fun question or two: If I were allowed to get a little crazy (unlikely), lets say I wanted to have my top-down ceiling camera remote controllable so I wouldn't have to get on a ladder every time I need to do a top down shot, would I need a lot of additional/different equipment? Also, would there be a way to turn on/off the camera(s) from a device at/near the switcher rather than having to go around the room every time I needed to do a shoot? Would be nice have everything controllable from one location. 

17 minutes ago, BLSmith2112 said:

One last fun question or two: If I were allowed to get a little crazy (unlikely), lets say I wanted to have my top-down ceiling camera remote controllable so I wouldn't have to get on a ladder every time I need to do a top down shot, would I need a lot of additional/different equipment? Also, would there be a way to turn on/off the camera(s) from a device at/near the switcher rather than having to go around the room every time I needed to do a shoot? Would be nice have everything controllable from one location. 

For this, ideally you want a PTZ camera.

Otherwise, Blackmagic cameras provide compatibility with Blackmagic video switchers and other hardware for "remote" camera control.  Best to email Blackmagic and ask which camera and hardware they would recommend.  I don't think the ATEM Mini has the interface built in like the more expensive ATEM TV studio for controlling BM cameras.

Alternatively, maybe some kind of scissor platform mounted on the ceiling for the camera that you can pull down. Or maybe a heavy duty C-Stand with a long arm and keep the camera as lightweight as possible.

image.jpeg.1c56a19af59886e1e304f3e72abd79af.jpeg

EACHSHOT C Stand Adjustable Reflector Stand Light Stand for Photography  Studio Video Reflector,Monolight and other Equipment|Photo Studio  Accessories| - AliExpress

For your Panasonic DSLRs, other than pulling the plugs from the wall socket or turning the wall socket/multi-outlet extension cable power switch off (assuming the cameras have no battery inside), you could maybe turn on/off the cameras like that.  Would I do this, even to my high end pro cameras?  Probably not.  I would prefer to control the on/off of the cameras on the camera's switches.  I don't want to risk any damage, like from a sudden power surge.

Great ideas and fair points.

Thanks again @LaFemmeEnVert! I expect sometime within the next several weeks we'll be able to execute on the hardware above and I'll finally be able to get this show on the road! I feel better knowing that I won't sound like a complete idiot now when discussing this with management ;) 

Great ideas and fair points.

Thanks again @LaFemmeEnVert! I expect sometime within the next several weeks we'll be able to execute on the hardware above and I'll finally be able to get this show on the road! I feel better knowing that I won't sound like a complete idiot now when discussing this with management ;) 

Check out this video where Grant Petty, the owner of BMD, explains how the ATEM Mini Pro ISO works.

I made 1 mistake in my earlier explanation.  The computer to manage the ATEM Mini doesn't connect via the browser, you are provided with an app for configuring the ATEM Mini which is installed on the computer.  But the ATEM Mini and the computer must be on the same network for the computer to detect the device, so your network people need to make sure that the ATEM is not blocked by a firewall or anything else.

I'd go Zcam E2C or E2-m4 or pocket4k over pansonic cameras

the BM micro studio camera 4k is meh

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs