Ryzen 7 5800x high temps

2 minutes ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

Yeah, maybe they will patch it soon 😓 already running the latest BIOS.

I dropped the offset further to -0.075v and it brought the temps down by about another 5-6°c underload but did have a little bit of a hit to performance.

Try setting the voltage to static 1.2 or 1.25 or 1.3 without the offset and see if you have any performance or temp decrease.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Try setting the voltage to static 1.2 or 1.25 or 1.3 without the offset and see if you have any performance or temp decrease.

Ok I will try when I get home

1 hour ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

Interesting, what we have noticed so far is the temps seem to be a result of the high voltage.

In the BIOS the voltage is static at 1.47v which gets me 50-51°c on the CPU and 61-64°c on CPU package

As has been suggested to me above I have put in place a -0.05v offset which brought the voltage in the BIOS down to about 1.425v which changed the temps to CPU 45°c and CPU package 55°c

This did not hurt my single core score in cinabench at all getting 623 as I did before the change but the temps went from 58-60°c during the run to 52-54°c during the run

As for my multi core performance I did drop about 40 points of my score going from 6017 to 5975 but the temps did drop from 88-90°c during the run to 85-86°c during the run

I have yet to do sustained load testing to see if it reaches 90°c or not so may not be perfect but dose seem to help with minimal impact to performance

Ok, i'm gonna try that. But it looks like a BIOS/Chipset is bad. I tried 4.7GHz manually with 1.325V and that gave me like 6200pts in Cinebench R20, but without PBO i'm gonna drop few FPS because it can't boost up to 4.85GHz.

3 hours ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

Yeah, maybe they will patch it soon 😓 already running the latest BIOS.

I dropped the offset further to -0.075v and it brought the temps down by about another 5-6°c underload but did have a little bit of a hit to performance.

20201111_002542.thumb.jpg.fb3c5b197c71339851f84c86cb8d914f.jpg

20201111_002618.thumb.jpg.f4e79218d435ee4d3434ccc4143d207b.jpg

Well on my board somehow negative offset not working. When i setup negative offset 0.05 it holds 1.05V all the time on all cores and it sits still on 3.8GHz....

1 hour ago, liftyee said:

Well on my board somehow negative offset not working. When i setup negative offset 0.05 it holds 1.05V all the time on all cores and it sits still on 3.8GHz....

Sounds like a bug with the bios, how about if you manually set it to 1.25v or 1.3v or 1.425v, dose it work then?

Try the 1.25 and 1.3 first before going higher and let me know how it performs

I would be curious to see and collect data on what MOBOs people are using and what the stock voltage is and the temps in the BIOS and see if there is a pattern 🤔

8 hours ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

I would be curious to see and collect data on what MOBOs people are using and what the stock voltage is and the temps in the BIOS and see if there is a pattern 🤔

Well i was able to do a 1.325V 4700MHz, 6200pts in R20 and temps max 80C. But still i'm gonna lose that 4.9GHz boost. But yeah, looks like these first BIOSes for 5000 series are pain.

I have found that there is an older bios that is still compatible with the ryzen 5000 series that appears to be better with lower voltages and temps at about the same scores

B550 F Gaming

1212 vesion Latest BIOS - 4,850MHz at 1.47v / cinabench, single core = 623 - Multi core = 6017 / Max temp = 89-90°c

1202 version Older BIOS - 4,850MHz at  1.37v / cinabench, single core = 622 - Multi core = 6015 / Max temp = 85-86°c

12 minutes ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

I have found that there is an older bios that is still compatible with the ryzen 5000 series that appears to be better with lower voltages and temps at about the same scores

B550 F Gaming

1212 vesion Latest BIOS - 4,850MHz at 1.47v / cinabench, single core = 623 - Multi core = 6017 / Max temp = 89-90°c

1202 version Older BIOS - 4,850MHz at  1.37v / cinabench, single core = 622 - Multi core = 6015 / Max temp = 85-86°c

You should really reseat cooler. Make sure support bars are tight and that you use the grey spacers. use enough thermal paste on cpu die, a single big blob should be enough. Don't spread the paste, as the cooler will.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

You should really reseat cooler. Make sure support bars are tight and that you use the grey spacers. use enough thermal paste on cpu die, a single big blob should be enough. Don't spread the paste, as the cooler will.

Yeah that was the first thing I tried, tried 2 different coolers and not much difference between the two except for the noctua NH-U12S performed slightly better then my Corsair water cooler, the paste application was good, mount is solid, 

5800x here as well with a nzxt kraken x63. My temps randomly shoot up as well...not just that though downloading a game on steam for example adds like 3 - 5 degrees... I've tried reseating using mx-4 thermal paste.

idle literally nothing opened up.. it can get as cool as 25- 34 degrees celsius

with multiple stuff opened up, chrome, origin, steam and uplay it goes 35 - 45

playing cod black ops cold war shows a steady 60 - 65

world of warcraft shows 46 - 50

those temps don't seem too bad, it is just the fact that the temps shoot right up when I open things up. For example sometimes when I open up COD black ops cold war, my temps can shoot up to 80(alll my temps are in celsius) for a few seconds. It really seems like my issue is very similar if not the exact same as Hamsandiwch

EDIT: tried cinebench

single core test 55 - 70 degrees celsius

multi core test shot up to 90 within seconds and stayed at a steady 90 for about a minute, i didn't want to leave it running any longer.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:57 PM, tuunade98 said:

5800x here as well with a nzxt kraken x63. My temps randomly shoot up as well...not just that though downloading a game on steam for example adds like 3 - 5 degrees... I've tried reseating using mx-4 thermal paste.

idle literally nothing opened up.. it can get as cool as 25- 34 degrees celsius

with multiple stuff opened up, chrome, origin, steam and uplay it goes 35 - 45

playing cod black ops cold war shows a steady 60 - 65

world of warcraft shows 46 - 50

those temps don't seem too bad, it is just the fact that the temps shoot right up when I open things up. For example sometimes when I open up COD black ops cold war, my temps can shoot up to 80(alll my temps are in celsius) for a few seconds. It really seems like my issue is very similar if not the exact same as Hamsandiwch

EDIT: tried cinebench

single core test 55 - 70 degrees celsius

multi core test shot up to 90 within seconds and stayed at a steady 90 for about a minute, i didn't want to leave it running any longer.

I have been testing for about 2 weeks now 😫 and i have made some discoveries, still fine tuning but have made some improvements

So stock settings right out the box below:

MOBO                = B550 F Gaming

CPU                   = Ryzen 7 5800x

CPU Voltage      = 1.47v

SOC Voltage      = 1.15v

BIOS Version      = 1202

BIOS Temp         = CPU 50°c / CPU package = 61°c

Idle temp            = 32°c

R20 Max Temp   = 90°c

Cooler                = Noctua NH-u12s

R20 Single core = 623 (Max Temp During R20 single core run = 61°c)

R20 Multi core    = 6015 (Max Temp During R20 muti core run = 90°c)

Turbo Boost clocks during cinabench R20 load:

CPU Single core max frequency = 4850MHz

CPU Multi core max frequency   = 4550MHz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my current manually set settings:

TURN OFF PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive)

MOBO                = B550 F Gaming

CPU                   = Ryzen 7 5800x

CPU Voltage      = 1.25v

SOC Voltage      = 1.1v

BIOS Version      = 1202

BIOS Temp         = CPU 40°c / CPU package = 50°c

Idle temp            = 36°c

R20 Max Temp   = 82°c

Cooler                = Noctua NH-u12s

R20 Single core = 590 (Max Temp During R20 single core run = 53°c)

R20 Multi core    = 6095 (Max Temp During R20 muti core run = 82°c)

Turbo Boost clocks during cinabench R20 load:

CPU Single core max frequency = 4600MHz

CPU Multi core max frequency   = 4600MHz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So couple of things to go over:

First. PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive),

This setting in the BIOS basically goes what are voltage limits and ignores the stock settings and what you might set manually as well as it gives the system permission to pushing the CPU to the limit going over the set parameters, so turn this off, it dose help with single core performance, not by a lot but dose help but on the other hand in my case it seemed to hurt multi core performance at the same time

Second. better temps,

So i have run Furmark CPU burner on top of R20 and with stock setting it would hit 90°c in about 1-2 minutes on a 16 thread stress test and start to thermal throttle as you can see the frequency dropping by a 1MHz every few seconds as you continue to stress test it, with the adjustments i have made the temps seemed to average out at 85.5°c going up and down between 85.2°c to 85.7°c and not thermal throttling after several minutes testing (i have not done very long testing like 30-60min stress tests yet).

but what I'm seeing is i have been achieving a high all core frequency then stock setting with less voltage and no thermal throttling (yet, still need to do prolonged testing)

Third. Lower clocks

Yes i have sacrificed a small bit of single core performance by limiting the frequency to 4600MHz but i have gained more multi core performance with better temps, as for gaming FPS in the games i play i feel like i have actually gained an extra 5-10 FPS but within margin of error but i have not lost any performance in the games i play

Please Note: the below is not proper testing, just my observation of the FPS counter in the top left that i always have running

Beam.NG - before it would sit around 160FPS mostly | after my changes it seemed to sit around 170 mostly (location: Desert map - gas station )

Assassins creed origins - before it would sit around 70FPS mostly | after my changes it seemed to sit around 75 mostly (location: Second city you visit after leaving home town)

I play more games then this but I have not being done a hole lot of that in the past 2 weeks, been a few nights playing around in the bios till 1am 😅.

I need to do more proper testing and more fine tuning of the settings but a bit exhausted with all this at the moment and need to take a break from tweaking settings,

I have found a configuration that dose not max out my temps under full load and works well in performance, yeah I'm good for the moment 😴,

hopefully all this might help out someone else as well

I also have a 5800x.

I have an Asus PRIME-X570-P Motherboard with 2812 bios beta.

My cooler is a Noctua NH-D14.

I am also getting 90 on all core high load and 32 - 50 idle keeps jumping around.

This might be an ASUS thing, waiting for a new bios. I am not sure this is 100% a CPU issue.

3 hours ago, razi3l13 said:

I also have a 5800x.

I am also getting 90 on all core high load and 32 - 50 idle keeps jumping around.

This might be an ASUS thing, waiting for a new bios. I am not sure this is 100% a CPU issue.

Yeah maybe, I spoke with Asus Tech support about what was happening and they wanted to RMA my MOBO but don't think there is anything wrong with the board itself just maybe the BIOS as i can get pretty good results if i set things manually

it is not perfect and different CPUs will be able to achieve different results (silicon lottery) but if you feel up to it you can try this

1. Turn off PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) in Bios, test it with just this change and see how it goes, if still no good proceed to next step

2. Manually set the CPU voltage from 1.47v to 1.25v and SOC voltage from 1.15v to 1.1v

3. Manually set the CPU clock rate, to do this turn the AI overclock tuner setting to Manual, make sure your BCLK frequency is set to 100 then change the core ratio to 45 to 47

my CPU was able to maintain stability at 46 (4600MHz) across all cores with CPU voltage of 1.25v, i might be able to go higher but need to do more testing, with minor adjustments you might be able to even achieve 47 (4700MHz) but run multiple runs of R20 or CPU burner to check for stability, if it crashes it is back to the drawing board.

the way these CPUs are made (keep in mind I'm not ripping on manufacturers when i say this this is just how it be) you will have differing quality CPU cores some will be able to hit 4900MHz no problem but some might only be able to hit 4500MHz and this can hold back the CPU when manually setting core frequency unless you could control the frequency limit of each individual core which probably would cause other problems in it of itself with cores being out of phase with each other

Just built new rig today, 5800x idling at 50-55c. Started tinkering with everything, spent all day in bios and whatnot. All it took is to turn off Icue software for the temps to instantly drop to 30-35c. No idea where is the issue here but I tested it numerous times and Icue running is definitely the culprit.

Also my CPU was boosting all the time, hence the high temps, all fine now.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, Hamsandwich283 said:

B550 F Gaming

Some other voltages are making issues, probably IO is CCD one. You need to lower all, and see which one will bring down the temp. 

Atleast that's my presumption.

14 hours ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

Yeah maybe, I spoke with Asus Tech support about what was happening and they wanted to RMA my MOBO but don't think there is anything wrong with the board itself just maybe the BIOS as i can get pretty good results if i set things manually

it is not perfect and different CPUs will be able to achieve different results (silicon lottery) but if you feel up to it you can try this

1. Turn off PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) in Bios, test it with just this change and see how it goes, if still no good proceed to next step

2. Manually set the CPU voltage from 1.47v to 1.25v and SOC voltage from 1.15v to 1.1v

3. Manually set the CPU clock rate, to do this turn the AI overclock tuner setting to Manual, make sure your BCLK frequency is set to 100 then change the core ratio to 45 to 47

my CPU was able to maintain stability at 46 (4600MHz) across all cores with CPU voltage of 1.25v, i might be able to go higher but need to do more testing, with minor adjustments you might be able to even achieve 47 (4700MHz) but run multiple runs of R20 or CPU burner to check for stability, if it crashes it is back to the drawing board.

the way these CPUs are made (keep in mind I'm not ripping on manufacturers when i say this this is just how it be) you will have differing quality CPU cores some will be able to hit 4900MHz no problem but some might only be able to hit 4500MHz and this can hold back the CPU when manually setting core frequency unless you could control the frequency limit of each individual core which probably would cause other problems in it of itself with cores being out of phase with each other

I'll be receiving my 5800X soon. I'll try to follow your BIOS config and see what temps I'll get. I'm using a NH-D15 and I'm hoping to get acceptable temps.

Did you do any stress testing on the CPU by any chance?

38 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

I'll be receiving my 5800X soon. I'll try to follow your BIOS config and see what temps I'll get. I'm using a NH-D15 and I'm hoping to get acceptable temps.

Did you do any stress testing on the CPU by any chance?

I did some aida and prime95 stress tests, they take the CPU to 90 deg where it stops.

18 minutes ago, razi3l13 said:

I did some aida and prime95 stress tests, they take the CPU to 90 deg where it stops.

What cooler did you use and how did you setup the BIOS prior to testing?

19 hours ago, razi3l13 said:

I also have a 5800x.

Factory defaults and I think I also tested a -0.075v offset or something. With the offset it gets harder to 90 but still goes there.

2 hours ago, razi3l13 said:

Factory defaults and I think I also tested a -0.075v offset or something. With the offset it gets harder to 90 but still goes there.

Ram speed?

Open CTR, find your memory type, and try MANUAL IOD, CCD and VDDP voltages, somewhere in between min and recommended by CTR.

If temps go down, put voltages even lower until you reach minimum by CTR.

CPU's are fine, looking at that spreadsheet, its some voltage for Infinity Fabric that its making all the fuss, or its BIOS itself.
My vddp on auto on b550 tomahawk is 1.15v for 3700x 1900IF 3800mhz 2x8gb, which is too high, so i am holding it on 0.95v.

Its not the same ofc, bcz 5600x for example is 65w cpu, and higher vddp for example wont make a big fuss like for 105w 5800x.
Reason thats its not making it for 5900x that much is bcz its 2xchip.

You can see the same happening on 5950x as on 5800x, even tho binned and 2x8, 5950x cant be cooled under 80c Cinebench 20 at 1.35v, even on custom loop. Most you can do is somewhere around 1.3v.

3 hours ago, Prcoje said:

Ram speed?

3200 DOCP. It's literally the same temperature when I set it to 3000(default).

11 minutes ago, razi3l13 said:

3200 DOCP. It's literally the same temperature when I set it to 3000(default).

IOD, CCD AND VDDP voltages need to be set on minimum by ClockTuner For Ryzen, and then you can see if there is difference.

Its a longshot to be honest, will look at sheet now, will need to compare alot, but it looks like that MSI did the best job with its BIOS and AUTO settings, while others didnt, they are overvolting alot.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to 90C for 5800x is by design. Its the Precision Boost 2 (Not to be mistaken with PBO) , it basically clock itself up and up until it reach 85-90C so regardless of cooler it will always go there, and depending on the cooler will reach higher or lower frequencies. With better cooler will be at 4.6-4.7ghz all cores at around 90C while with worse cooler it will be something like 4.3-4.4 at around 90C. And the CPU firmware controls that, on 5600x for example this is much less aggressive so that's why you see less temps there, but 5600x is meant for gamers, while 5800x is meant for content creators + gamers. Note that you won't see those 90c temps in games ever, this is just as absolute torture on the CPU.

I have tried couple of coolers for my 5800x, iand they all go to up to 90C even with my Noctua 15S, it just boosts a bit more.

According to Robert Hallock, Zen 3 is intended to get that hot:

"Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons.

1672501054_Screenshot2020-12-08001723.thumb.jpg.817b140898d8c003d6665cc3b3f98819.jpg

So first the hardware:

CPU: 5900x

MB: MSI B550 Tomahawk Bios- 7C91vA51(Beta version))

Cooler: EK Fluid Gaming A240G + 1080Ti Watercooled.

So I have the same temps in idle around 50 degrees in games the CPU doesn't go over 68c with the card staying around 60c in all core stress test the cpu goes to 72c. On my MB if I try to undervolt the cpu the cores just lock up on 3.7Ghz the only way to bring idle temps down is to lock all cores OC and lower voltage. After some tinkering around I found out that both Dragon Center and Qbittorrent being opened not doing anything else causes the spikes in in voltages to 1.45V+ which leads me to belive  that these problems will be fixed with the new AGESA code and with PBO 2.0 coming since they say it actually allows undervolting since for now undervolting results in either stock ghz locked or very poor all core performance I've had a run where in cinebench all cores ran on 800mhz cause of offset undervolting. I have also read a tweet form AMD CPU head designer that said that undervolting is not viable at the moment because the new PBO isn't out yet.

Update: Had some more time with the default settings PBO to Auto with Dragon Center and Qbittorrent not working voltages at first dropped after sitting for 1hour idle the temps were again 45-50c with high voltages. So I am 100% certain that the PBO logic is the thing to blame I am also in Balanced power setting with latest amd chipset driver.