Ryzen 7 5800x high temps

Hey guys!

Currently rocking a Ryzen 7 5800X paired with an NH-D15 and a MSI B550 MPG Gaming Edge WiFi.

The "problem" with the 5800X is that (I am not an expert but I have asked many people who are) and they have told me that the Ryzen 7 5800X has one chamber where it holds its heat and the 5900X has two of these. That makes the 5800X instantly go hotter in same workloads as the 5900X. Regarding the voltage: that is completely normal! AMDs statement is that the CPU can hold up to about 1.525V until it shuts itself down.

My 5800X runs at 33C-34C in idle and in R23 after 7 minutes on a maximum of 82° which is great imo! I'm leaving voltages as they are because in multicore I am getting a maximum of 1.335V and in single core 1.460V which is (again) normal!!!

My Gaming temps vary between 46C-56C on 1440p high settings.

This should be fixed with a BIOS Updaten but be tuned for that. I think ASRock has already updated it?!?! MSI hasn't, so I'm gonna wait for that.

Well that's it - hope it helped!

Cya all!

On 11/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, razi3l13 said:

I also have a 5800x.

I have an Asus PRIME-X570-P Motherboard with 2812 bios beta.

My cooler is a Noctua NH-D14.

I am also getting 90 on all core high load and 32 - 50 idle keeps jumping around.

This might be an ASUS thing, waiting for a new bios. I am not sure this is 100% a CPU issue.

I have updated to bios 3001 with no changes.

I changed my case to a Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mesh and temps went down. Fans: 3x 120 intake front 1x120 outtake back .

Gpu is like 10 degress lower and CPU varies but has higher boost with like 300 mhz on same tests.

So now it's max 87 in prime and has like 3000 mhz extra so 4.3 instead of 4.0 which was before.

Getting 88 in aida on 4.5 ghz cpu(after 10+ minutes), gpu+cpu torture test.

Before, most tests got to 90 and were pushing the cpu down to 4 GHZ

• 2 weeks later...

I have Asus X570-PLUS TUF Gaming (non wi-fi) with 3001 BIOS and honestly how is this normal (I have x63 Kraken, did same with Corsair H100i which I had before)?

image.png.c35e634fbb7def17022cd46ff061f91c.png

The main issue for me is fan noise. I just changed my fan curve to be even less aggressive (25% at 20°C, 40% at 60°C and 100% at 80°C, with 30!!! seconds ramp-up time and 5s slow-down time), but even then I randomly hear my fans spin up to max while just browsing the net, not even watching 4k videos or anything that should load the darn thing.

To me this is honestly a bit of a fail and definitely makes me not really recommend new 5XXX CPU's, at least not now.

Oh and since the upgrade, my WSL2 and Docker stopped working with The RPC server is unavailable. error and I haven't found a way to fix it 😠

13 hours ago, MiChAeLoKGB said:

how is this normal (I have x63 Kraken, did same with Corsair H100i which I had before)?

From what I understand from previous pages if the cpu has more headroom to 90C it will turbo higher rather than optimize temperatures.

It looks like this CPU was made to function close to 90C in high load.

There is this image that has been posted on previous page:

1672501054_Screenshot2020-12-08001723.thumb.jpg.817b140898d8c003d6665cc3b3f98819.jpg

I don't like it either but it seems like this is by design. I don't know about the long term effects though.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested my ryzen 5800x, msi tomahawk wifi with wraith prism rgb cooler and with random games i can get up to 91°c, idle is 41-53°c. the cooler is very loud

i managed to lower the maximum temps on my 5800x by 11°C

I am using a coustom-loop (ek classic kit p360) on my 5800x and got temps around 82C in cinebench and 85C in Prime. the EK-SPC pump i use is not that powerfull i think and i dont know how much that affect my temps. my board is a b550 strix ( so PBO is enabled by default). roomtemps are 23-24C

my solution works for people with the most kind of watercoolers ( CLC and openloop) the problem with ryzen is that the hotspot of the cpu is not in the center of the cpu.but watercooler are normaly designed for a monolithic die with the hotspot in the middle of the CPU.

the German overclocker/youtuber Der 8auer ( Der Bauer) has created a product wich is called "RYZEN 3000 OC Bracket" it is compatible with ryzen5000 and most ATX boards ( for x570 there is a list). it simply changes the position of where the coldplate center is mounted onto the CCD (Die ) wich helps with transporting the heat.

he has made videos where he explains his two versions of it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJDv68fEcM

i also moved from Arctic mx4 to Kryonaut thermalpaste.

i only tested a litte sofar but this is what it changed for me:

Cinebench max temp after 5 passes went from 82C to 72C and prime 95 ( only 10 minutes) went from 87C max to 77C max but 77C was only a spike . on average i have seen 74C

the product can only be bought on Caseking as far as i know and i dont know if they ship world wide but for me it was a good solution ;)

On 1/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, DasDreadlock said:

i managed to lower the maximum temps on my 5800x by 11°C

I am using a coustom-loop (ek classic kit p360) on my 5800x and got temps around 82C in cinebench and 85C in Prime. the EK-SPC pump i use is not that powerfull i think and i dont know how much that affect my temps. my board is a b550 strix ( so PBO is enabled by default). roomtemps are 23-24C

my solution works for people with the most kind of watercoolers ( CLC and openloop) the problem with ryzen is that the hotspot of the cpu is not in the center of the cpu.but watercooler are normaly designed for a monolithic die with the hotspot in the middle of the CPU.

the German overclocker/youtuber Der 8auer ( Der Bauer) has created a product wich is called "RYZEN 3000 OC Bracket" it is compatible with ryzen5000 and most ATX boards ( for x570 there is a list). it simply changes the position of where the coldplate center is mounted onto the CCD (Die ) wich helps with transporting the heat.

he has made videos where he explains his two versions of it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJDv68fEcM

i also moved from Arctic mx4 to Kryonaut thermalpaste.

i only tested a litte sofar but this is what it changed for me:

Cinebench max temp after 5 passes went from 82C to 72C and prime 95 ( only 10 minutes) went from 87C max to 77C max but 77C was only a spike . on average i have seen 74C

the product can only be bought on Caseking as far as i know and i dont know if they ship world wide but for me it was a good solution ;)

The CPU is designed to go in this temps, you can't report cinebench and prime 95 temps without the CPU frequencies on all cores, otherwise this info is useless.  At 4.3 ghz all cores i won't go over 65C, at 4.6 ghz all cores you will hardly get it under 80c. As AMD explained, the CPU will boost frequencies until it reaches the limits. Here is a quote from AMD page.

These steps are important because Precision Boost 2 is dependent on several factors including, but not limited to:

• Processor temperature
  • Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Power consumption (watts) from the processor socket
  • Current draw (amps) from the motherboard power delivery circuits
  • Proper firmware and software configuration
  • Operating system optimizations
  • Maximum boost frequency limit (product specification)

When the processor has headroom in these categories, and the active workload requires additional performance, Precision Boost 2 will automatically raise frequencies until one or more of the above limits is reached. When/if the limit is reached, processor frequencies will automatically level off to a steady-state condition for ongoing performance enhancement. Throughout this process, the processor can monitor conditions and adjust frequencies up to 1000 times per second. As a result, achieving maximum boost frequency and the sustained boost conditions observed by you will depend on the application and workload.

So as i said, reporting CPU temps, without reporting CPU frequencies and voltages is kinda useless. PB2 will eat any cooling headroom you have to boost higher frequencies, especially in synthetic benchmarks. You can set manual frequencies in your bios, but you gonna loose single core boost to much higher frequencies like 4.8-4.9 ghz. So i strongly suggest to the people with loud CPU coolers, limit your cooler fans to 80% or whatever you feel not laud and the CPU will follow your cooler capacity.

Due to having the same thoughts on having a problem with a very hot R7 5800X.  As I was coming from a R5 2600 that didn't go over 65c on my EK-AIO 240 D-RGB.
So seeing temps up around 82c on Cinebench R15, I was quite alarmed..  But after reading this thread, I now see that it is a design of the CPU from AMD.
Also it is well explained in the post above this by Boby...   
But while I was "googling" for answers I came across that in the latest BIOS for some Motherboards, you can adjust how PBO2 works. And that you can undervolt..Here are my Findings.

My system is a R7 5800X on a MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk with 16gb 3200mhz Corsair Dominator Pro RGB.

Stock runs in Cinebench with a score of 2550. All core clock of 4600mhz, 1.346v, 82c.  Which looks about right with others online I have seen..
With adjustments in the BIOS to change the Curve Optimizer to negative 15. Cinebench score of 2577. All core clock of 4648mhz, 1.298v, 82c
So no change in temps, but lower voltage & higher clocks with a little increase in score.  So then I changed in the BIOS the Curve Optimizer to the max of 30

Cinebench score of 2608, all core clock of 4723mhz, 1.264v, 78c.  That has now made a difference. Lower voltage, lower temps & an increase in score..

To me that is a win, win. Without going down the route of doing a manual overclock with a manual underclock...
I also did try Cinebench on single core.  While the score was the same 261 & core clock the same 4848mhz. Voltage went down from 1.346 to 1.206. Temps from 61c to 52c

This is where I found the info to try this..  So if your Motherboard has a BIOS available, you need one with at least 1.1.8.0.  MSI has the 1.1.9.0

I think it is something to try...   I'm happy to now leave mine as is...

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, liftyee said:

Same here. I have 5800X, B550 MAG Tomahawk, Dark Rock 4 Pro. 90C in Cinebench. A lot of users complaining about these temps on reddit. Looks like some boards have problems with that or it's just silicon lottery and 5800X has a lot of bad pieces.

Exactly. I have B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI, the same Cooler and 90C in OCCT, Prime95. It is just crazy

• 3 weeks later...

Recently bought a 5800X and I can confirm that under Cinebench R20 multi-core load it does hit 90C. (I use MSI B550 Tomahawk MoBo, Noctua NHU 12S for cooling and 32Gb Ram @3600Mhz Cl16)

I use Clock Tuner for Ryzen or CTR (version 2.05 as of March 10, 2021) for decreasing the temperature. 

It is a great, versatile tool. You can use it for undervolt, overclock or both at the same time. With its hybrid overclock option it can run overclock/undervolt AND keep the high single core performance at the same time! It is safe to use. If anything is wrong with the O.C. , CTR just turnes it off.

I had set it up in a way, that it gives me the same performance as stock in both single and multi core, but it only uses 1.25V and 114W max.package power  under heavy load (at stock it uses around 140W) and the max. temperature went down from 90C to under 80C(75 to 77C).

You can find CTR on Igor's Lab website and they have a detailed tutorial also on how to use it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, Hamsandwich283 said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure but these temps seem a bit high to me and confusing with what appears to be different readings from the bios and windows

Question 1. I have the ryzen 7 5800x and I see conflicting numbers from bios to windows, is this normal?

BIOS idle

- CPU = 50°c / CPU package = 61°c

Windows ryzen master idle

- CPU = 32-35°c with the occasional spike to 40-45°c

I have tried 2 different coolers being a single fan Corsair AIO and a noctua NH-U12S with the noctua results being the best out of the 2 (above results), the AIO was about 5-10°c hotter

When I put the CPU under a full load across all cores in cenabench and CPU burner the temp quickly goes to 80°c then it creeps gradually up to 90°c (ryzen masters rated max for the CPU) just about as the Cenabench run ends.

My score seems to be about on par with what I see online so great, but those temps seem a bit to high to me

20201110_223921.jpg.7569d32989ff2b1923edfceb619cc009.jpg

Single core run: it stays steady throughout the hole run at just below 60°c

20201110_231259.thumb.jpg.041074249f935b7e6a72224b186ac752.jpg

Multiple core run:

20201110_231954.thumb.jpg.695807d8a7041c2af372f9b5ae3df3fc.jpg

Score:

20201110_232658.thumb.jpg.bc1c66473ff80ea1b3075dea6c327d3e.jpg

Hi, originally my 5800x ran between 83 and 86 degrees in cinebench r23. Changed the settings in bios for undervolt and now 10 ish degrees less and better all core speeds. If it helps I used this video to get the bios settings, https://youtu.be/VIZOFcdGp8s 

• 3 months later...

i just got a ryzen 7 5800x and have it paired to a RTX 3070Ti and the average temps on my CPU are around 34°C without messing with any of the voltage...

• 1 month later...

I've got a

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Mainboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi

Case: BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2

The CPU runs at about 80°C when running under full load via Cinnebench but has an idle temp of about 42-48°C with the cooler running at 59% speed. 

I don't quite understand why my idle temps are so high. It's annoying as the cooler is of course louder than I want it to be.

I know that my case is a bit more restrictive in its airflow altough it has lot of room for its components and just out of my gut I don't think the idle temps should be this high.

Do you people think this is normal? I don't have a way (or I don't know a good way) to measure my ambient temperature,. It's not a saharan desert I can assure 😉 it's getting colder by the weeks.

I've got the newest BIOS update and default settings for the CPU. Only thing I've changed is that I turned virtualization on for app development but from what I remeber it was this way before as well (and nothing is using virtualization right now either way). 

Idle (more or less, had browser with some tabs open and some smaller programs in the background):

image.thumb.png.f99e3fcc5164dce5b7c7caf77bde993b.png

Running Cinebench:

(Didn't set MSI Center to english when running Cinnebench unfortunately, see above for what means what)

544998884_CPUstats.thumb.png.8f54d14b58a68d2f68906dd3aac89096.png

321820830_Screenshot2021-10-04150733.png.3c36e4edd40358b34389f203f8b2dc0e.png