AIO Pump - Best RPM settings

TheLUCKYfighter

Hey there,

I'm a little bit new into AIO's (just bought my first one: Fractal Celsius S24+) and I'm confused about what the best RPM seetings are. My AIO cooler allows me to do three things:

1) Use PWM to variate the pump speed depending on the CPU load

2) Set its RPM to 100% constantly (2700RPM)

3) Set its RPM to a lower percentage, like 35% 

For me, the first option seemed by far the loudest and I also read that constantly changing RPM on the pump might impact its lifetime negatively. The second option is a little bit less loud, yet still audible. The third option is inaudible but results in around 4-5 degrees increase in tempratures. 

I've read many different things on the internet, but what is the best setting overall? Most importantly, what are each of their consequences on the lifespan of the AIO? 

Kind regards,

Arno

If you can adjust the pwm curve for the pump, that's probably the best option. If not, then just lock it into 50% rpm or something. Ideally you want to find a sweet spot in terms of noise, cpu temps, and liquid temps. The hotter the liquid and pump temps are, the shorter its lifespan. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

9 minutes ago, TheLUCKYfighter said:

2) Set its RPM to 100% constantly (2700RPM)

I've run this way on a 1st gen Corsair H60. It's 10 years old and still going, so I think it's alright.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

If you can adjust the pwm curve for the pump, that's probably the best option. If not, then just lock it into 50% rpm or something. Ideally you want to find a sweet spot in terms of noise, cpu temps, and liquid temps. The hotter the liquid and pump temps are, the shorter its lifespan. 

Anywhere I can check the liquid temps? 

4 minutes ago, TheLUCKYfighter said:

Anywhere I can check the liquid temps? 

I'm not familiar with the fractal AIO specifically, but I know nzxt ones have software which typically show the temperature of the liquid. If there's no software like that, you could take a temperature probe and stick it into the radiator, then add a couple degrees to get a rough idea of the liquid temps.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

• 1 year later...

Hello, So what would be a good fan curve or how would I go about figure it out on msi 360r cooler ?

I have asus rog z390-e with fan xpert. The AIO is plugged into AIO_pump header. The Fans for AIO are plugged into CPU_header.

I run a Intel Broadwell-E Core i7 6850k and to cool it I use a Corsair Hydro H115i AIO and my case fans are run with a Corsair Commander unit

I have found at stock speeds that setting the pump to Extreme 3000 RPM (Max 100%) give me high Flow through the Rad and the AIO fans are above 55% constant 1440 RPM... 37.7 C coolant Temp at idle for a CPU Package Temp of about 47 C at idle.... (Broadwell -E are HEDT CPUs and are warmish to run)

My Case fans are variable PWM and I've played with the curve for silence at idle (by ear)... below 1000 RPM and ramp up to MAX under load

I find that the balance of Noise through variation of fan RPM and computer case harmonics vs. Cooling Performance needs to be adjusted with each Build and what you want to achieve... great to set Max Cooling... but is it 6 feet from your bed and and the noise won't allow you to sleep at night?... Will slowing the case intake fans lessen the noise but still give you enough airflow to feed the AIO fans exhausting the the air through the Rad? At what point if you put the AIO fans on a constant speed will you experience stable Temps in Cinebench (flogging the CPU scenario) and still be able to sit beside the computer at idle for a few hours. Is it better to set the AIO on PWM fan / Pump curves for your use case ? ( For me the computer case's harmonics aren't friendly to everything on PWM curves).

Play with your settings / watch the Temp graphs... find the Sweet Spot for you...

- note: I find Higher Flow on the Pump better for Temps and pump noise is not an issue on my AIO. What makes a difference in noise, is higher RPMs on the 2x Corsair 140mm AIO fans and they rattle a bit for me and set off the case's harmonics a bit... so I dial them back a bit...  the 4x 120 mm intake fans are a constant soft woosh, giving enough fresh are for the case at a touch less than 1000 RPM but ramp up under load ... (my sweet spot) ... and I adjusted it all watched the graphs to track the performance.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2