Import tax on replacement??

The Torrent

I had a replacement set of headphones sent to me and im being requested £80 quid for import taxes.

Is this normal and expected? I thought as its a replacement and no transaction happening the actual value of the product would be 0.

Do i have to pay it or is this a fault from the company??

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I had a replacement set of headphones sent to me and im being requested £80 quid for import taxes.

Is this normal and expected? I thought as its a replacement and no transaction happening the actual value of the product would be 0.

Do i have to pay it or is this a fault from the company??

Thanks.

Is it FedEx? They are scoundrels!

6 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Is it FedEx? They are scoundrels!

Yes it is they want £80 quid too on a £300 pair of headphones which is probably listed as 100 quid or something,

Any clue if i have to pay or how it works?

Its pretty messed up they want you to pay. Probably its based on the value of the item and the manufacturer listed the valeu and your dock people saw that and bam taxes due, I'd def talk to the manufacture to get that rectified because they should pay any fees associated with it since you already paid for it and this is a warranty shipment.

3 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Its because they did "work" like fill out import papers.

FedEx are crooks.

5 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Its pretty messed up they want you to pay. Probably its based on the value of the item and the manufacturer listed the valeu and your dock people saw that and bam taxes due, I'd def talk to the manufacture to get that rectified because they should pay any fees associated with it since you already paid for it and this is a warranty shipment.

Ok ive contacted the manufacturer then.

Is anyone aware if they would send the parcel ahead (its scheduled tomorrow) and request money after or are they gonna hold the parcel until paid??

Not sure how it goes, you pay when their at your door or you dont get the item so they probably return the item back to the seller.

4 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Not sure how it goes, you pay when their at your door or you dont get the item so they probably return the item back to the seller.

they ask you for money at the door?/

That just dont seem right to me. Are you sure of this?

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

With FedEx, I've paid it knowing full well it was coming. The problem comes when your buying an item for the first time not knowing who the seller ships with which is shocking the first time it happens. I believe I had $150 and paid $40 for import charges with Fed Ex.

37 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I am not from the UK but thatˋs how its also done in Germany. The delivery company will transport the package to a shop if you can not pay the delivery man. The shop wonˋt give you the package  either without paying.  There is no way around paying as the government wants their share. Your only hope is that the manufacturer/seller reimburses you later. 

You'll have to stomach the VAT as it's law to pay it, as outrageous as it sounds, especially as it's FedEx doing your business.

I've found that you can get away without paying and still get the item, but you'll get a letter in the mail or in email form telling you to pay up or face the consequences.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

If the person sending the package does not pay for the import fees, the person receiving the package is responsible for them. Sucks, but nothing you can really do.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Actually if I remember correctly, I got a bill in the mail 3 weeks later for the import duty. But I knew it was coming.