Any Experienced Pilots In Here

Snapy1

Okay so I want to start flying planes for fun when im 15-16 years old, I have a few grand I can spend on lessons. How would I manage to learn and get my trainers license. Theirs a small airport about 10 miles from where I live, I believe they give lessons but im not 100% positive. 

The questions:

Is it hard to fly a plane?

How scary is it to be behind the wheel of a plane, lets say a cessna for example?

How old do I have to be to learn (legally of course) in the state of Pennsylvania?

How much does the cost range. 

-------------------------------------------------

If you could list any other details I should know it would be awesome if you could tell me.

Thanks,

~Snapy (Nick)

EDIT: I also always really had a passion for flying, and planes. I put soooooo many hours into MS Flight Sim

@Flyguygamer is lerning to fly right now

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

im part penguin, i fly underwater

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Denzel Washington flew a airplane upside down 

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

1. Once you get up in the air it really isnt difficult. Hold steady and keep track of where you are and where your going

2. At first is is insanely scary. There are so many things that could happen. You just have to take your time and make sure to do everything 100% correct.

3. You can start learning basically anytime but you need to be 17 for your license

4. By the time you get your license and everything atleast $20,000

Basically take your time and try and enjoy it. It's different and takes a long time but there is no better feeling once your up in the air.

Okay so I want to start flying planes for fun when im 15-16 years old, I have a few grand I can spend on lessons. How would I manage to learn and get my trainers license. Theirs a small airport about 10 miles from where I live, I believe they give lessons but im not 100% positive. 

The questions:

How scary is it to be behind the wheel of a plane, lets say a cessna for example?

How old do I have to be to learn (legally of course) in the state of Pennsylvania?

If you could list any other details I should know it would be awesome if you could tell me.

Thanks,

~Snapy (Nick)

Hey mate, I got my Solo's Pilots license when i was 15 in Australia. Did it through Air Cadets (won a grant) anyway.

Its so easy to fly, the actual flying is actually very simple, even more so for gamers I believe, as we're already used to the concept of not just left and right, but also up and down. whats hard is all the theory. not sure how detailed the theory is over there. but here i essentially needed to know the basics physics of flight, but that might've been because i was in Cadets.

Flying isn't actually scary (edit: I guess that could depend on if you've been in a plane a lot, I spend on average 50 hours a year in a plane and have most my life so my experience may differ from others.) I've flown a Cessna 152, 182, 210 and a Beech Super King Air, being in the pilots seat is never daunting, now sitting on the back seat while in a steep bank, that gives me chills. 

I'm pretty sure there isn't an age restriction anywhere to learn, but a age restriction for when you can fly Solo.

And it can be expensive, it cost 15k for me to get my Solo License, but again, Straya, we're known for being expensive. 

Good luck, flying is great fun, just don't expect me to do any parachute, there's a reason why the parachuting badge has only one wing, cause thats the only time you should jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

My friends brother is like I think maybe 15-17 (He's in high school I think) and he flew a small plane for fun not a commercial jet but a small plane and he said it was great, he also is constantly using MS Flight.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Hey mate, I got my Solo's Pilots license when i was 15 in Australia. 

How did you manage that?

How did you manage that?

well i passed the test i just didn't get the students pilots license until i was 16, but I'd done the test so as far as I'm concerned i got it at 15 :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

well i passed the test i just didn't get the students pilots license until i was 16, but I'd done the test so as far as I'm concerned i got it at 15 :P

I Was going to say... Since basically the fastest way to get it is to have the hours and theory done before your 16th birthday. Then go for you SPL on your birthday

How did you manage that?

Heres what google said "That said, however, you do have to be at least 16 years old before you can solo an airplane (14 years old for operation of a balloon or glider), and 17 before you can be issued a pilot certificate. Therefore, it may not be particularly efficient from the standpoint of cost and flight hours to begin lessons too early."

Heres what google said "That said, however, you do have to be at least 16 years old before you can solo an airplane (14 years old for operation of a balloon or glider), and 17 before you can be issued a pilot certificate. Therefore, it may not be particularly efficient from the standpoint of cost and flight hours to begin lessons too early."

I don't need Google to tell me how this stuff works xD

I Was going to say... Since basically the fastest way to get it is to have the hours and theory done before your 16th birthday. Then go for you SPL on your birthday

well when your flying instructor is your CO at cadets, and is also a Family friend you got to do thing early. just can't make the legal documentation be valid earlier :P

well when your flying instructor is your CO at cadets, and is also a Family friend you got to do thing early. just can't make the legal documentation be valid earlier :P

I loved being in Cadets. I got my glider license through them and I was about to go for my final for power when I broke my arm :'(

I loved being in Cadets. I got my glider license through them and I was about to go for my final for power when I broke my arm :'(

never done gliding, no one has one locally. I'd have to go interstate to do that. but i really want to. also want to get experience in a gyro. they look like fun :P

saving up for a Microlight as well.

My brother did it and loved it, he had about 50 hrs of flying time under his belt before he did this stupid thing called getting married lol. He even had to make and emergency landing once from having a dead alternator on the little plane he was on.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

The questions:

Thanks,

~Snapy (Nick)

EDIT: I also always really had a passion for flying, and planes. I put soooooo many hours into MS Flight Sim

1. no flying is easy, like really easy (eccept for communications)

2. if you are okay with being in the back of a plane then you will be fine in the front seat.

3. don't know check the FAA regulation in your area ( in my area you have to be 17 to get a private pilots lisense but you can begin lessons at any age)

4. from a lot to a lot more

my advice to you is this:

attend ground school

once finished take FAA written exam

take flight lessons

take practical flight exam

begin flying

that process will take time but if you stick to it you can get it done in about 6 months

Well i am sure you use flight simulation games, thats a cheap way to get started, then join clubs or cadets etc, get involved, as normally its about who you know not what you know.

i was offered to get my PPL for approx $25k however if you want to work in the aviation industry as a pilot you need to do about 500 hours after your PPL, and also get a CPL would help.

if its just for fun the 25k should get you trained and passed, flying isn't too hard to do, obviously landing is the most crittical part, also preperation, planning, pre flight checks, communication and navigation skills are very important.

If you don't already have a flight sim, i would recommend starting out there and get a proper yoke, pedals and throttle quadrent set. some add on scenery and aircraft packs is good too

got to love Asus components