4500u vs 4700u vs 2600X

Hi guys,

So I want to buy a new laptop and I have to choose between the Ryzen 5 and the Ryzen 7 variant. The latter would cost me $140 more and I'm not sure if it's worth the money ($820 vs $960). So I've been checking benchmarks online and I'm getting contradictory results. Notebookcheck.com gives me an average of 20% more performance on the Ryzen 7 but interestingly userbenchmarks says it's under 5%. So I'm not sure who to believe and if it's really worth spending the extra money.

Then I wanted to see how both CPU's stack up against my 2600X and userbenchmarks again says that the 4700u should deliver the same level of performance. Now I understand there has been 2-3 generations between them but does a low power CPU really match the performance of a 2 or 3 year old mid-range desktop CPU?

And finally would the Ryzen 7 consume more power due to the two extra cores on daily use? So basically if I'm doing light work could I expect the battery life to be better with the Ryzen 5?

Thanks

I would look for benchmarks of the notebooks in question, rather than comparing the raw specs of their CPUs. Notebooks can have a lot of variance, depending on how good their cooling is, how large their battery is, whether CPUs are run in high- or low-power configuration and so on. You could very well get better battery life and performance out of an R7 if the notebook in question has a bigger battery.

(Also, Userbenchmark has bad reputation around here, their test methodology is questionable, you need to look at individual tests rather than their overall score at the very least)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

27 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi guys,

So I want to buy a new laptop and I have to choose between the Ryzen 5 and the Ryzen 7 variant. The latter would cost me $140 more and I'm not sure if it's worth the money ($820 vs $960). So I've been checking benchmarks online and I'm getting contradictory results. Notebookcheck.com gives me an average of 20% more performance on the Ryzen 7 but interestingly userbenchmarks says it's under 5%. So I'm not sure who to believe and if it's really worth spending the extra money.

Then I wanted to see how both CPU's stack up against my 2600X and userbenchmarks again says that the 4700u should deliver the same level of performance. Now I understand there has been 2-3 generations between them but does a low power CPU really match the performance of a 2 or 3 year old mid-range desktop CPU?

And finally would the Ryzen 7 consume more power due to the two extra cores on daily use? So basically if I'm doing light work could I expect the battery life to be better with the Ryzen 5?

Thanks

With mobile CPUs it's not as simple as comparing R5 vs R7. Depending on the laptop manufacturer and the model, laptops with the same CPU could perform differently. So instead of looking at random 4500u and 4700u benchmarks, look at reviews of specific laptop models with those CPUs. 

Things that impact the actual performance are - cooling system, power target (some laptops are locked at 15W for the CPU package, others have performance mode which goes to 25W), Memory channels (cheap laptops come with soldered 4/8GB RAM working in single channel).

Which 2 laptops are you looking at?

Laptop CPU have low baseclock and it would stay as high as theres a temp headroom, and it go as low as possible to conserve energy.

So it depends on the laptop design. Ryzen fortunately have a relatively low temp compared to intel.

About batery life, you should check the review before buying.

In theory R5 will consume less than R7.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

50 minutes ago, Vals89 said:

With mobile CPUs it's not as simple as comparing R5 vs R7. Depending on the laptop manufacturer and the model, laptops with the same CPU could perform differently. So instead of looking at random 4500u and 4700u benchmarks, look at reviews of specific laptop models with those CPUs. 

Things that impact the actual performance are - cooling system, power target (some laptops are locked at 15W for the CPU package, others have performance mode which goes to 25W), Memory channels (cheap laptops come with soldered 4/8GB RAM working in single channel).

Which 2 laptops are you looking at?

Ok I'll keep looking for reviews and comparisons. The model I'm interested in is the HP Envy x360 (15")

OK I've found a YouTube channel that reviewed both models (Andrew Marc David) and the results seem to be very different indeed

Screenshot_20201107-132028.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-131346.jpg