Galaxy S5's ISOCELL camera advantages demoed on video

Galaxy S5's ISOCELL camera advantages demoed on video

What do you think? Personally I don't think the photos can look as good as the ones shown in the video 

There's no way in hell those were taken on a phone.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would have to agree, though that ad seemed like nonsense (maybe it was because I'm watching with no sound). Where was the phone? Or was this taken with the component on some high end camera? Not worth a second watch with sound either :P

Those photos do not look that convincing. :P

If the second picture is truely taken on the S5 samsung won me over. Even some DSLR's cant do that....( old ones that is )

Interested in Business and Technology

Since when have phone camera's been able to take long-exposure images? I mean really, in most cases you need an adjustable aperture. I think most (if not all) the images in the video were examples of what they think it can do.

If this new sensor technology is as good as they see, I really hope to see it come to non-phone cameras!

Only if the phone looked better...

14n1i6d.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I don't get what they're talking about, all of the words the narrator was using to describe the photos were untrue by my standards, my iPhone 5s, arguably, takes more brilliant and clear photos from what I saw in the video.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

All I want is to see reviews on the pictures taken by the S5 not just talking about it. :) 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Lmao I love how they keep showing long exposure shots for their examples yet the s5 can't take long exposures. Also they keep talking about the better low light as abilities but with long exposures that isn't an issue at all

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

C'mon samsung, a regular smartphone camera is good enough and you think improving it ganna change your profit...

not much changed from s4 to s5, cant get rid of a £300 phone for something that offers like 1 more thing for £500. my LG G2 is probably way better. you could say 4k video recording. but i had an iphone 4s for 2 years, i never once recorded a video so...

There's no way in hell those were taken on a phone.

I didn't think they looked that unrealistic. If you had manual control over the settings in phone cameras then I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 could take that good pictures. You can see that the exposure time used in some of those images were really high though.

Good looking/interesting subjects and good composition can make photos taken with even a bad camera look really good.

I don't get what they're talking about, all of the words the narrator was using to describe the photos were untrue by my standards, my iPhone 5s, arguably, takes more brilliant and clear photos from what I saw in the video.

Just because you don't understand terms does not make them untrue. I didn't see anything in that video that I find hard to believe.

People, they are talking about ISOCELL sensors. It's a new type of sensor. This is not about the Galaxy S 5's camera, it's about Samsung's new sensor type. We will probably see more ISOCELL sensors get released in the future, so this is a commercial for all of them.

Think of it this way, ISOCELL is like IPS screens. Just because you see a commercial explain what IPS is from LG, does not mean they are specifically talking about the IPS screen used in for example the LG G2. Not all ISOCELL sensors are the same, just like not all IPS panels are the same.

So yeah, this is about a type of sensor, not the Galaxy S5's camera.

I didn't think they looked that unrealistic. If you had manual control over the settings in phone cameras then I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 could take that good pictures. You can see that the exposure time used in some of those images were really high though.

Good looking/interesting subjects and good composition can make photos taken with even a bad camera look really good.

Just because you don't understand terms does not make them untrue. I didn't see anything in that video that I find hard to believe.

People, they are talking about ISOCELL sensors. It's a new type of sensor. This is not about the Galaxy S 5's camera, it's about Samsung's new sensor type. We will probably see more ISOCELL sensors get released in the future, so this is a commercial for all of them.

Think of it this way, ISOCELL is like IPS screens. Just because you see a commercial explain what IPS is from LG, does not mean they are specifically talking about the IPS screen used in for example the LG G2. Not all ISOCELL sensors are the same, just like not all IPS panels are the same.

So yeah, this is about a type of sensor, not the Galaxy S5's camera.

I understand this and I'm saying the clarity and brilliance of this sensor doesn't look better than current technology in my eyes, if anything it had more bleeding and cloudiness than the traditional sensors. I don't care if it's new technology and in it's infancy, if they're pushing videos about it and using the terms they use, I expect beautiful, brilliant, and clear photos.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I understand this and I'm saying the clarity and brilliance of this sensor doesn't look better than current technology in my eyes, if anything it had more bleeding and cloudiness than the traditional sensors. I don't care if it's new technology and in it's infancy, if they're pushing videos about it and using the terms they use, I expect beautiful, brilliant, and clear photos.

You're only seeing several examples of a new type of sensor. Far from sufficient information to judge it upon.

Interesting. I'll wait until we start seeing more information or examples of its benefits before I am excited for it, but it certainly sounds like it could lead to some nice improvements over current cell phone cameras.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

You're only seeing several examples of a new type of sensor. Far from sufficient information to judge it upon.

Interesting. I'll wait until we start seeing more information or examples of its benefits before I am excited for it, but it certainly sounds like it could lead to some nice improvements over current cell phone cameras.

If you're showing off your new camera technology through a video, I'd assume you'd be using your best photos from the ones you shot, it's only natural. So if those are the best, I'm not too excited.

If you're showing off your new camera technology through a video, I'd assume you'd be using your best photos from the ones you shot, it's only natural. So if those are the best, I'm not too excited.

You're rather missing the point.

This is a new type of sensor. Samsung believe it has benefits over current sensors used in cell phones - that does not mean that the current iterations of the sensor are on par with their claims, it means that they will be. New technologies aren't always instantly superior to their older competitors, often they require some time to improve before their advantages start to truly shine. It is impossible to determine yet whether or not this new sensor is better than any other as we have next to no information or footage upon which to judge. Several edited images on a Samsung advertisement in the form of a severely compressed YouTube video is far from sufficient.

Let me give you an example. When LCD televisions started to be sold to consumers many many many years ago everyone thought they were a joke. They had terrible picture quality, ridiculous pricing and a stupendous lack of features - CRT televisions were superior in all but three ways: Size, Weight and Power Draw. However, as the technology grew stronger so did the products - jump to today and LCD televisions are extremely popular.

You're rather missing the point.

This is a new type of sensor. Samsung believe it has benefits over current sensors used in cell phones - that does not mean that the current iterations of the sensor are on par with their claims, it means that they will be. New technologies aren't always instantly superior to their older competitors, often they require some time to improve before their advantages start to truly shine. It is impossible to determine yet whether or not this new sensor is better than any other as we have next to no information or footage upon which to judge. Several edited images on a Samsung advertisement in the form of a severely compressed YouTube video is far from sufficient.

Let me give you an example. When LCD televisions started to be sold to consumers many many many years ago everyone thought they were a joke. They had terrible picture quality, ridiculous pricing and a stupendous lack of features - CRT televisions were superior in all but three ways: Size, Weight and Power Draw. However, as the technology grew stronger so did the products - jump to today and LCD televisions are extremely popular.

If this is supposed to be in the S5, which should be coming out very soon, I doubt it will get notably better if it all.

If this is supposed to be in the S5, which should be coming out very soon, I doubt it will get notably better if it all.

The original Galaxy S had an AMOLED screen. The S2 had a better one, the S3 had a better one than that, the S4 had a better one than that...

As I said. New technology improves over time.

Whiskers summed it up pretty well. You also have to remember that it's a YouTube video. So it is pretty heavily compressed as well.

Whiskers summed it up pretty well. You also have to remember that it's a YouTube video. So it is pretty heavily compressed as well.

I still doubt Samsung can pull an Apple with first time tech being successful.