How could I turn my old PC into a server?

Hey! I just had a bright idea today: Could I turn my deceased grandmother's old pc into a web server and could it run well? 

image.png

image.png

yes you could certainly, it will run one website on it. But would you want to? For a small project to not really use in the future yes. But I don't think the power cost of that old machine is worth it.

If you wanna make a webserver of it, there are lot's of ways to do so. You can make it easy to just install WAMP or other software like that. Or you can make a dedicated webserver of it with ISS on windows or apache or nginx on a linux/unix distribution.

1 minute ago, Ubuntu is love said:

yes you could certainly, it will run one website on it. But would you want to? For a small project to not really use in the future yes. But I don't think the power cost of that old machine is worth it.

If you wanna make a webserver of it, there are lot's of ways to do so. You can make it easy to just install WAMP or other software like that. Or you can make a dedicated webserver of it with ISS on windows or apache or nginx on a linux/unix distribution.

I guees kinda i wanna go for a use in the future because we (I with my friend) wanna make a website and publish our small unity games and blog about it. At least that's the idea for it.Yes I know it sounds kinda silly.

You can, but apart from doing it out of interest there is absolutely no reason to. If all you want to do is run a website you're better off getting a hosting package from somewhere like NameCheap and using that instead. There's much more to running a server than installing couple programs and calling it a day.

Just now, Chionele said:

You can, but apart from doing it out of interest there is absolutely no reason to. If all you want to do is run a website you're better off getting a hosting package from somewhere like NameCheap and using that instead. There's much more to running a server than installing couple programs and calling it a day.

I agree, its fun to make your own host on that machine. But it's way cheaper to just rent a space from a hosting company. If it is only one website.

6 hours ago, Chionele said:

So what you saying is that if I want a website i just should search for a place to host it but if I wanna have more fun and more websites I should host myself?

5 hours ago, The bad Pirate guy said:

So what you saying is that if I want a website i just should search for a place to host it but if I wanna have more fun and more websites I should host myself?

Yes. Even if you choose a hosting plan that's not necessarily the cheapest you'll get away with $20-30/yr while having much greater speed, availability and backups bundled in than what you could personally achieve for that money.

Running stuff yourself is educational and fun, but more often than not not very practical.

8 hours ago, Chionele said:

Yes. Even if you choose a hosting plan that's not necessarily the cheapest you'll get away with $20-30/yr while having much greater speed, availability and backups bundled in than what you could personally achieve for that money.

Running stuff yourself is educational and fun, but more often than not not very practical.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll think more about what i am choosing.