Looking for Ultra Light and Thin Gaming Laptop

funkmetal

I am looking for a Ultra Light and Thin Gaming Laptop to have with me when I am on campus and to game while waiting for class in the Student Lounge. I was hoping for a single 780m in a Thin and Light Laptop but it seems there are none.

Budget is $2000-2500 and no more than $3000. Portability to Power Ratio is the biggest thing here, I dont want to lug around a 12Lb Laptop all day.

I have basically narrowed it down to 2 laptops unless you guys have other options,

The Aorus X7,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233033 

And the MSI GS70,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152443

The biggest difference I can tell between the 2 is that the X7 has SLI GTX 765's while the GS70 only has a single GTX 765m which may not be the best for gaming at high. The games I am looking at playing are Titanfall and BF4, along with other Single Player RPG's like Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect among others, and Civ 5 (Not really intensive I know but thought I would mention it. I am wanting to go Intel/Nvidia for my CPU/GPU combo but if you give me a good reason to go AMD I will consider it. I only have a couple of days to decide so tell me your ideas. Also I want this laptop to last 2-3 years.

Don't spend that much on a gaming laptop.Pretty simple.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I am looking for a Ultra Light and Thin Gaming Laptop to have with me when I am on campus and to game while waiting for class in the Student Lounge. I was hoping for a single 780m in a Thin and Light Laptop but it seems there are none.

Budget is $2000-2500 and no more than $3000. Portability to Power Ratio is the biggest thing here, I dont want to lug around a 12Lb Laptop all day.

I have basically narrowed it down to 2 laptops unless you guys have other options,

Razer Blade 14 Inch Gaming Laptop 512 GB - Windows 8.1

Don't spend that much on a gaming laptop.Pretty simple.

If he wants a gaming laptop, he wants a gaming laptop xD

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Any considerations for the Razer 14"?

I tend to avoid Razer because I have plenty of bad quality part stories from my friends, even one of my friends when I met was everything about Razer, after getting a Tiamat 7.1 and a Black Widow Ultimate that died after 6 months. He has stopped using most Razer Products.

I tend to avoid Razer because I have plenty of bad quality part stories from my friends, even one of my friends when I met was everything about Razer, after getting a Tiamat 7.1 and a Black Widow Ultimate that died after 6 months. He has stopped using most Razer Products.

I wouldn't not buy their laptops due to their poor quality of peripherals according to your mates.. but then again I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet so ;) don't trust me either xD

:ph34r:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I own a Blade 14", excellent build quality and performance. Zero issues with it.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

The Aorus X7 is currently one of the best thin gaming laptops out now that I know of. 

However it will depend on the benchmarks I'll provide that you'll want to base your decision on. Give it a view and see which one gives you more bang for your buck. 

Single GTX 765M  http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M.92907.0.html

SLI GTX 765M http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M-SLI.96627.0.html

The Razer Blade is a pretty good gaming laptop but it has the same specs as the MSI for a higher price and still more expensive than the Aorus X7 which has SLI 765M meaning the Aurus will give you higher FPS.

In my opinion I'd go with the Aorus. 

The Aorus X7 is currently one of the best thin gaming laptops out now that I know of. 

However it will depend on the benchmarks I'll provide that you'll want to base your decision on. Give it a view and see which one gives you more bang for your buck. 

Single GTX 765M  http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M.92907.0.html

SLI GTX 765M http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M-SLI.96627.0.html

The Razer Blade is a pretty good gaming laptop but it has the same specs as the MSI for a higher price and still more expensive than the Aorus X7 which has SLI 765M meaning the Aurus will give you higher FPS.

In my opinion I'd go with the Aorus. 

Seeing as the Aorus just launched a week or so before the 800m Series went into laptops (I heard laptop companys are supposed to announce their 800m Series laptops today?) How long do you think until we see a X7 R2 or similarly named Aorus Laptop with 860m's, 865m's, or 870m's?

My black widow also died like less than a year after I got it. I just ordered my Arous X7, should be getting it next week. I also dismissed razer, the display is sub par and it costs quite a lot for what you're getting. The Aorus X7 costs the same and is better in every single aspect, except portability.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I know its a bit heavier but what about something like a Sager 15 or 17 Inch Laptop? (Like this? http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP8295 ) Ive heard really good things about Sager, plus I can get my 780m/880m

That's like, alienware-level thick.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

That's like, alienware-level thick.

Yeah, I was guessing that, guess it's out

Seeing as the Aorus just launched a week or so before the 800m Series went into laptops (I heard laptop companys are supposed to announce their 800m Series laptops today?) How long do you think until we see a X7 R2 or similarly named Aorus Laptop with 860m's, 865m's, or 870m's?

I don't know to be honest.The problem is that Aorus just launched their product not too long ago and I don't see many companies making an immediate R2. I could be wrong tho. I'd wait a month and see.

Ive heard rumors of a MSI GS70 with a 870m, how powerful would that be? Going off desktop GPU evolution method I know of, its usually that the new generations equivalent is one step up in the old generation in most cases (580/670/760). By that logic the 870 would be about as powerful as a 780m but I'm not sure because this is a mobile GPU and not a desktop GPU?

I wouldn't not buy their laptops due to their poor quality of peripherals according to your mates.. but then again I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet so ;) don't trust me either xD

:ph34r:

THIS.

Seriously, you can either try it for yourself or go with somebody elses opinion... even though you're asking for opinions from people you don't even know.

I personally always thought Razer was overrated until I purchased a razer product two weeks ago and I have to say... the way they package it up to the quality of it is AMAZING. Definitely buying from Razer again.

Hands are perfect cupholders.

Any considerations for the Razer 14"?

The Razer 14" is not bad laptop but the screen is absolute garbage. If you want to consider that as an option, wait for a refresh. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

The Razer 14" is not bad laptop but the screen is absolute garbage. If you want to consider that as an option, wait for a refresh. 

And the refresh just happened lol. Its got a 3200 x 1800. Curious to see some reviews though.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade?src=pgm.81594800&utm_source=Razer_Social_Media&utm_medium=smlink_US_launch&utm_campaign=razer_blade

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)

It was ironic. The news article that was posted on the forum was the post I read just after submitting that response. Talk about good timing. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

It was ironic. The news article that was posted on the forum was the post I read just after submitting that response. Talk about good timing. 

Lol and right before I started digging in the forums, Razer's CEO posted the article I saw on Facebook. 

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)

Bahahahahahahha, read a recent news article about the Razer Pro and was about to post about it here, but looks like it was already done.

Hands are perfect cupholders.

Let me put this out here, I'm not interested in the Razer Blade. Are there any other options other than the Aorus X7 (w/ SLI 765m's) or the MSI GS70 (w/ 870m). Right now after I have seen some benchmarks from the 870m I am leaning more towards the 870m over the 765m SLI. Thoughts? Are there any other laptops that could be released with the 870m in the Thin and Light Gaming form factor?

Between the msi gs70 with 870m and aorus x7 with 765m sli... I'd go with the msi.

They are both very nice.

I like the 4 ram slots of the x7 (lots of ram for VMs) but I like the single gpu solution and storage options (3 x msata plus 2.5" drive) of the msi. I think the display might be better on the msi, but not sure.

I'm planning to purchase soon too but I'm going to wait a bit longer to see what else emerges.

Between the msi gs70 with 870m and aorus x7 with 765m sli... I'd go with the msi. They are both very nice. I like the 4 ram slots of the x7 (lots of ram for VMs) but I like the single gpu solution and storage options (3 x msata plus 2.5" drive) of the msi. I think the display might be better on the msi, but not sure. I'm planning to purchase soon too but I'm going to wait a bit longer to see what else emerges.

Think there will be model(s) of the MSI that will offer the multiple SSD's but not in Raid? Ive always been hesitant about Raid (Raid-0 at least) even in a desktop If not I would get a larger single SSD with the large mass storage drive.

Also, what other company's am I missing that could release a slim gaming laptop?