Is this mobo good enough?

Don't want to cram so much information in the title.

Talking about an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F.

I'm most concerned about the VRMs.

I plan on using a Ryzen 5900x with a slight overclock because it got good cooling. It should still be stable.

I've heard that x570 boards are workstation boards. But my rig kinda is a workstation. Sometimes i game, sometimes i do renders in blender, video editing, stuff that really loads the cpu.

What do you think? Should i go for this or rather a cheap x570 such as the msi tomahawk?

16 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

Don't want to cram so much information in the title.

Talking about an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F.

I'm most concerned about the VRMs.

I plan on using a Ryzen 5900x with a slight overclock because it got good cooling. It should still be stable.

I've heard that x570 boards are workstation boards. But my rig kinda is a workstation. Sometimes i game, sometimes i do renders in blender, video editing, stuff that really loads the cpu.

What do you think? Should i go for this or rather a cheap x570 such as the msi tomahawk?

x570 are not work station boards they are the top line boards then the b550 is under them so if you wanted to do some major over clocking you really need to set your self up on a x570 

3 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

no. Linus has said that the b550f can handle a 16 core cpu no problem, even with overlocks!

Ok thanks :)

that board will be fine

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

x570 are not work station boards they are the top line boards then the b550 is under them so if you wanted to do some major over clocking you really need to set your self up on a x570 

That is not true at all. The chipset does not determine how good/bad the VRM is. Try overclocking a 3950X on an X570 Gaming Edge Wifi and see how you get on.

4 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

@lee32ukso true. That is the worse series for msi's high end

8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That is not true at all. The chipset does not determine how good/bad the VRM is. Try overclocking a 3950X on an X570 Gaming Edge Wifi and see how you get on.

So a "high-end" b550 board in price range of $160-175 is better than a low-end $180 x570?

1 hour ago, Allptraum1989 said:

It should still be stable.

The board has 12 sic639's and will easily handle a 12 core, quite a solid board for 180ish dollars. 

47 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

if you wanted to do some major over clocking you really need to set your self up on a x570 

what?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, Allptraum1989 said:

So a "high-end" b550 board in price range of $160-175 is better than a low-end $180 x570?

Depends on the board in question.

4 hours ago, lee32uk said:

B550 asus strix $180 vs x570 msi tomahawk wifi $185

19 hours ago, lee32uk said:

14 hours ago, Allptraum1989 said:

B550 asus strix $180 vs x570 msi tomahawk wifi $185

pls? :):D  Both are supposed to have good vrms

39 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

pls? :):D  Both are supposed to have good vrms

The B550 Tomahawk would be a solid option and should be cheaper still. You also have the B550 Gaming Edge if you want Wifi. Both of those will easily handle a 5900X.

Otherwise if you have to choose between the two other boards I would take the X570 Tomahawk.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The B550 Tomahawk would be a solid option and should be cheaper still. You also have the B550 Gaming Edge if you want Wifi. Both of those will easily handle a 5900X.

Otherwise if you have to choose between the two other boards I would take the X570 Tomahawk.

They cost basically the same. Margin of about $6.

Great! Seems like the tomahawk it is