Ryzen 9 3900X Idling at 87 degrees w/ 360mm AIO

Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,
1 minute ago, JefeB said:

AH! thanks! It says 47c under 11% load. I'll take it.

Looks fine. Now run prime 95 or c20  loop for like 30+ min and see what the temps under load

Help! My Zen 2 Ryzen 9 3900x is idling at 85c!

My rig is set up in an Lian Li O11 XL with 10 fans: Three 120mm exhaust through the 360mm H150i AIO rad at 1200RPM, Three 120mm side intake at 1200RPM, Three 120mm bottom intake at 1200RPM, and one rear 120mm exhaust at 1400RPM. There's good airflow around the case and the pump in the AIO is set to 2700RPM. 

I set the power plan to "AMD High Performance" using the Control Panel, so my CPU is operating at ~1.400v, 4.257GHz.

The only non-cooling elements are my AMD ROG Crosshair VIII Formula MoBo, GPU (Aorus 2080s triple fan intake), 4 DIMMS of aluminum heatsink RAM, an ElGato 4K60 capture card, an actively cooled 850W TT PowerCool PSU, two NVMe SDDs, a Samsung QVO SATA SSD, and the fan/LED controllers.

I suspect the power plan is the culprit. I'm not much one for OCing or BIOS tweaking, so I haven't changed anything there. Is it the Power Plan or  am I doing something else wrong?

9 minutes ago, JefeB said:

Help! My Zen 2 Ryzen 9 3900x is idling at 85c!

My rig is set up in an Lian Li O11 XL with 10 fans: Three 120mm exhaust through the 360mm H150i AIO rad at 1200RPM, Three 120mm side intake at 1200RPM, Three 120mm bottom intake at 1200RPM, and one rear 120mm exhaust at 1400RPM. There's good airflow around the case and the pump in the AIO is set to 2700RPM. 

I set the power plan to "AMD High Performance" using the Control Panel, so my CPU is operating at ~1.400v, 4.257GHz.

The only non-cooling elements are my AMD ROG Crosshair VIII Formula MoBo, GPU (Aorus 2080s triple fan intake), 4 DIMMS of aluminum heatsink RAM, an ElGato 4K60 capture card, an actively cooled 850W TT PowerCool PSU, two NVMe SDDs, a Samsung QVO SATA SSD, and the fan/LED controllers.

I suspect the power plan is the culprit. I'm not much one for OCing or BIOS tweaking, so I haven't changed anything there. Is it the Power Plan or  am I doing something else wrong?

Even if you overclocked a bit it should be that high when gaming not idling. Thermal paste could be the problem. If you forgot to apply it or didn’t put enough on. Or if the pump is broken, try listening closely and listen for a higher pitched noise, if you don’t hear it the pump might be broken. Somethings clearly not right though. I suspect this is an issue with cooling, not overclocking. If you did think it could be the power plan, try turning it off and checking temps.

2 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

Thermal paste could be the problem

I used Arctic 4 and if anything may have overapplied. I also shut down all the fans and listened for the pump and most definitely can hear the "whine". Normally with temps like this for my friends, the first thing I'd check is to make sure they removed the protective plastic on the pump head, but none came attached to this one.

This isn't making since. Either it's not mounted right. Or the pump is doa. If your not use to listening to aio pumps. Then the noise you hear could be mistaken. 

Also how is the rad mounted in the case?

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

This isn't making since. Either it's not mounted right. Or the pump is doa. If your not use to listening to aio pumps. Then the noise you hear could be mistaken. 

Also how in the rad mounted in the case?

The rad is mounted to the top of the case with the fans on the bottom of it exhausting though & out the top.

I agree, it doesn't make sense. I've tried messing with power settings, cooling settings... anything not BIOS, and it's still running high. The temps I'm getting are directly from the MoBo's sensor & display. When I look at it through iCue's dashboard, it says 31 degrees. Is there a reliable freeware out there that'll help me determine if I've got a bad sensor?

31c water, 85c cpu. That's not right.

Can you use "hardware info" to check cpu temp?

1.4v is high for load. But temps should still be better.

12 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

31c water, 85c cpu. That's not right.

Can you use "hardware info" to check cpu temp?

1.4v is high for load. But temps should still be better.

Now using afterburner, it's reading 47c. So 39c in iCue, 85c on MoBo, 47c in Afterburner. This is very frustrating.

Just now, JefeB said:

Now using afterburner, it's reading 47c. So 39c in iCue, 85c on MoBo, 47c in Afterburner. This is very frustrating.

A bit of advice, Icue is known for showing inaccurate temps

It would be better if you could just use hardware info.

Just post a pic of cpu temps.

Also please close all other monitoring software

Wait, so it's your motherboard temperature sensors reading 85°C and not the CPU? 

What does hwinfo64 show for temps

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, ZonalThrone said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where to place my faith. I'm hoping I can put my money on Afterburner.

6 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

3 minutes ago, JefeB said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where to place my faith. I'm hoping I can put my money on Afterburner.

There's only 2 reliable software for ryzen cpu monitoring. 

Hwinfo

Ryzen master

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

There's only 2 reliable software for ryzen cpu monitoring. 

Hwinfo

Ryzen master

HWinfo64 doesn't have a core temp breakdown. Basically says that it's running fine.

Just now, JefeB said:

HWinfo64 doesn't have a core temp breakdown. Basically says that it's running fine.

Sure it does

Reluanch it, select sensors only, then scroll down.

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Sure it does

Reluanch it, select sensors only, then scroll down.

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Wait, so it's your motherboard temperature sensors reading 85°C and not the CPU? 

What does hwinfo64 show for temps

After a little lesson in HW, 47c under 11% load. I'll take take over what must be a faulty MoBo sensor.

Looks fine. Now run prime 95 or c20  loop for like 30+ min and see what the temps under load

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

Thanks so much for your help!