Maybe Less padding

Nayr438
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I've reduced the padding in the forum and topic lists for the next update, although not as much as you have done in your screenshots.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:14 PM, Nayr438 said:

padding3.thumb.png.2c1ce6f7f92190ae93e28b63bfdafeb6.png

That looks very cramped to me.

Maybe it's just me, but the padding seems a bit excessive on the forum, especially on the shadows / outline of popup boxes. I have never been a fan of shadows/outline on popup windows though.

padding.png.4d2eb2fc7a5799f2839593baa4c616e5.png

In my opinion something with less padding like this looks better than the default. These just pulled as an example, the padding on a lot of things however seems excessive.

padding2.thumb.png.596bc3e71a66981c7c6201329d4122a4.png

Just thought id share my thoughts on the new theme. So far I am liking everything but the padding.

Using Firefox on Linux if it happens to look different on a different browser.

I just noticed this, so many shades of gray... It really doesn't make anything easier to read, much the opposite... 

And also if you go to thread overview, there suddenly is no distinction between threads, except a thin white line... 

Used to be 2 different shades of "gray" which made distinguishing between threads much easier. 🤷🏼

783415594_Screenshot_20201031-172723_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.2f08cf48bf829db3cf4db49196049cb3.jpg

Like why, yes I know where a new thread starts, but it's very difficult to distinguish anyway, especially if you just come from a thread where there is an over abundance of gray paddings, it's like you're on a different website altogether almost! 

(and it's really hard to distinguish between threads visually) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I don't personally mind the color scheme, for the most part it fits quite nice in my opinion. I have never really been a fan of alternating thread colors, so that change doesn't bother me personally.

I started working on a Stylus theme for my personal use, I just cant get over the unnecessary padding and some of the font sizes.

Left Modified - Right default

fff.thumb.png.6bcf2f7846ed308857ef2de2d4f6a618.png

Idk. The padding seems fine to me and adds clear separation in the content rather then letting everything just blur into a single page like the old design did. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I have never really been a fan of alternating thread colors

Tbh if you asked me before I had said alternating thread colors are useless... But now they're gone I sorely miss them... It's so hard to find anything!  🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've reduced the padding in the forum and topic lists for the next update, although not as much as you have done in your screenshots.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:14 PM, Nayr438 said:

That looks very cramped to me.

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis

I think the text size issues (on mobile) are mostly fixed, if you compare this to my screen shot above 

851147719_Screenshot_20201104-151142_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.9586e1d2081b04a66da34e03c258ce15.jpg

So that's good, but there's another issue now and that's the space between things (is that "padding?) there's really a lot of " empty space" between topics / headlines now I think should be reduced, simply to get a better overview, like for example between

"The Hub" 

and 

"Forums" 

It's just too much for me, but also between the topics themselves, I think it's really hard to navigate through so much empty / unused space. 

Further I don't really understand why "Linus Tech Tips" is smaller than the "Hub" it should be the other way around imo - this time not for readability but for esthetical reasons. 

Thing on top should be bigger than thing following, no? That's at least what I remember learning in school back then. ;)

Just, uh, I don't know, some things I still notice, especially the spacing that could be still improved, and I don't know if these things are still being worked on, so some feedback couldn't hurt either way, I thought. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mark Kaine said:

So that's good, but there's another issue now and that's the space between things (is that "padding?) there's really a lot of " empty space" between topics / headlines now I think should be reduced, simply to get a better overview, like for example between

"The Hub" 

and 

"Forums" 

Thanks for pointing out, this will be fixed in the next update.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Further I don't really understand why "Linus Tech Tips" is smaller than the "Hub" it should be the other way around imo - this time not for readability but for esthetical reasons. 

Thing on top should be bigger than thing following, no? That's at least what I remember learning in school back then. 

The LTT logo is part of the site header rather than the page-specific content, and you'll see the same thing on other sites too. You know you're on LTT, what's relevant to you on that page is that it's The Hub.

HTTP/2 203

7 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Thanks for pointing out, this will be fixed in the next update.

You're welcome, glad to hear it. 👍

8 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The LTT logo is part of the site header rather than the page-specific content 

I see, it's just something I noticed that's visually not ideal imo, but I thought of that too that it might look weird if it's actually bigger, like I said it's not an issue for readability or usability anyway. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity