Fractal 7 vs 7 XL

xDoron22
Just some thought going up my head..

Not gonna overclock at all and not using any kind of water cooling. Just tons and tons of noctua 140mm fans image.gif.99a1e5ca91f68fc9272bb7c61ced36c4.gif

Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular 7 just for the additional head room?
Will the large open space yield better temps overall? Worse temps?

My Future build: (Bold, Already bought)
Ryzen 9 5900X
3070 RTX
NH-D15
1TB 970 evo plus
Crucial 64GB (16x4) 3600 CL16

Fractal 7
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Btw I'm fixed on getting fractal case. I just love thier quality and brand. And I know I'm somewhat limited by the case for maximum airflow.

Thanks !

For pure air cooling, bigger cases can actually give you worse temps than smaller ones, depending on your case fan configuration. Because there's a bigger distance between the coolers and the case fans, so e.g. your D15 would be taking more of a case ambient air with heat from the gpu and stuff, instead of a stream of cold air straight from the outside

Are you going to use multiple hard drives?

Because my R6 is bit cramped with the hard drive trays on, my 5700XT Red Devil even touches said trays.

I would also choose the XL option if you upgrade your components regularly, as it will give you overall more room for graphic cards and cpu coolers.

3 hours ago, Yebi said:

For pure air cooling, bigger cases can actually give you worse temps than smaller ones, depending on your case fan configuration. Because there's a bigger distance between the coolers and the case fans, so e.g. your D15 would be taking more of a case ambient air with heat from the gpu and stuff, instead of a stream of cold air straight from the outside

Oh I see..

If that's the case than maybe it's a bad idea to get the XL, my primary objective was to get better air flow because I've heard the fractal 7 intake fans are kinda blocked by the design and isn't optimal. 

My fan config would be putting 3x140 noctuas on the front, 1x140 at the rear and 2x140 at the top to get even airflow.

2 hours ago, Gaires said:

Are you going to use multiple hard drives?

Because my R6 is bit cramped with the hard drive trays on, my 5700XT Red Devil even touches said trays.

I would also choose the XL option if you upgrade your components regularly, as it will give you overall more room for graphic cards and cpu coolers.

Forgot to mention the mobo,

Im getting the x570 unify, So for the start, I'm getting two pcie 3 nvme and two 4 tb hard drives. Later down the road I will get gen 4 pcie when it's fully utilized. 

I'm not gonna upgrade any time soon but if the case will still be relevant in 4-6 years than my next build will go into the same case aswell.