Cannot play H265 footage anymore AFTER unstalling MS HEVC

maverik11

Hi,

I am having a weird issue.I have been using Davincie Resolve (Free version, current version 16.2.7) for years now. Mostly for small home video projects. I have already edited tons of iPhone footage with no problem.

My PC is a little older but with optimized media, editing is OK
i7 4790 k
8GB RAM
GTX970

My Windows installation apparently had the HEVC Manufacturer codec already installed.
Today I accidentally installed the HEVC codec, I bought from MS for another system. Since then all my H265 footage shows as "Media Offline" in Resolve.

I uninstalled the bought codec (the original one is still there) rebooted and reinstalled resolve but it still does not work.

I have another machine with a clean Windows installation where I also installed the 0,99c HEVC codec and there I can see that footage in resolve.

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Remove and reinstall the original one? And maybe reboot afterwards.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I was thinking of trying that but thout I might loosse the original one then as you cannot download it anymore, But I guesss at thiss point it does not really matter.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Remove and reinstall the original one? And maybe reboot afterwards.

That indeed did it, I uninsstalled the original one, rebooted, still did not work.This I expected though because now I had no codec insstalled. I installed the 1$ codec and it worked again right away, without rebooting.

Still annoying I guess this iss why people prefer apple. I had the codec installed and it still does not work. That'ss not even mentioning the weird fact of removing that feature from the OS and charging for it.

And this is exactly why the way Microsoft handles things like that, through their store and with weird installation structures is a bad thing. However glad you fixed it! 

Btw, the 0.99 codec is also a scam because you can definitely downloaded it for free, from Microsoft store, even if you never had it installed, another example of how messed up Microsoft's handling of their store is. However, I don't have a link unfortunately, it's on my old phone afaik, and it's pretty hard to find on the store (for me at least) 

Edit: found the link, but looks like it's "not available" currently, could be because I'm on phone tho. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

AFAIK this is only available if you have a prebuilt/laptop and the manufacturer has prepaid the license.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I probably had it because it is a migrated Win 7 license.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Kilrah said:

AFAIK this is only available if you have a prebuilt/laptop and the manufacturer has prepaid the license.

I did download this on my pc which I build myself and a $2.99 win10 pro license... (like 2 years ago) 

Edit: 

20201104_233637.thumb.jpg.d3d65a24393ce06e1f8cf119a856fa71.jpg

I don't even have a ms account 🤷🏼

20201104_233703.jpg

PS: this is interesting, it must have reinstalled this by itself, because I definitely installed it when I first booted up the pc which was in 2018, though the date could just be wrong too 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity