help, what connectors / cords for GPU

Go to solution Solved by The_russian,
1 minute ago, Spainz said:

so then say if I were to plug it in, just to feel better at night (lol, not actually kidding), what would I do with the other half of the second 4+4 CPU power connector cord... could I plug in just the first half and leave the other half dangling in air or might that short something? Would it arc if the other half isn't connected to anything?

Yeah the other side of the connector would basically be hanging there. The actual pins that make contact are a good distance into the connector so they shouldn't make contact with anything or arc, you would have to try to poke something into the connector to short it. 

Hi guys!

I'm a first time builder.

I have a 2x8pin GPU and I can't for the life of me figure out which PSU connectors to use for it...

DO I use the PSU to PCIE 6+2's??

If so I have one with the PSU that daisy-chained another 6+2 on it, so it's like a 2x(6+2)  (it has fancy braiding around it) ... ... ... and I have two other separate PSU to PCIE cords that are individual 6+2's... (no fancy braiding).

Additionally, to which PSU section would I plug in the PSU end of the cords? PCIE, PERIPHERAL, SATA, ???

You would use the PCIe 6+2 pin cables and plug them into the PCIe ports on the power supply. It doesn't matter if you use the daisy chained cables or separated ones unless you are doing crazy overlocks, but the separate ones are going to be easier to cable manage and will look better. 

A 6+2 is basically an 8 pin so you can just use two of those. I'd go with the daisy chained one so it's less cable clutter, as for where to plug them, you will want to put them to the PCIE ones. The one side of the connector will most likely have PSU written on it.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

You would use the PCIe 6+2 pin cables and plug them into the PCIe ports on the power supply. It doesn't matter if you use the daisy chained cables or separated ones unless you are doing crazy overlocks, but the separate ones are going to be easier to cable manage and will look better. 

Okay! Very helpful. So my motherboard additionally has a 8+4 cpu power for pwr1 and pwr2, I plugged in the pwr1 completely, and I know you typically don't have to plug in pwr2 unless you're doing heavy overclocks. Should I plug in per 2 considering I have an i7-10700K I plan to largely overclock, as high as stable as my Arctic Freezer 2 (280) Rev 2 will allow, or do you think it'll be okay as is?

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

A 6+2 is basically an 8 pin so you can just use two of those. I'd go with the daisy chained one so it's less cable clutter, as for where to plug them, you will want to put them to the PCIE ones. The one side of the connector will most likely have PSU written on it.

feel free to weigh in as well to my most recent question

4 minutes ago, Spainz said:

Okay! Very helpful. So my motherboard additionally has a 8+4 cpu power for pwr1 and pwr2, I plugged in the pwr1 completely, and I know you typically don't have to plug in pwr2 unless you're doing heavy overclocks. Should I plug in per 2 considering I have an i7-10700K I plan to largely overclock, as high as stable as my Arctic Freezer 2 (280) Rev 2 will allow, or do you think it'll be okay as is?

You should be fine, I think you would run into thermal limits before you run into power limits but if you have the extra cable, plugging it in won't hurt anything. 

3 minutes ago, Spainz said:

feel free to weigh in as well to my most recent question

No need for the second one. As far as I know, you'd only go for that if you were doing extreme overclocking like LN2.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

You should be fine, I think you would run into thermal limits before you run into power limits but if you have the extra cable, plugging it in won't hurt anything. 

so then say if I were to plug it in, just to feel better at night (lol, not actually kidding), what would I do with the other half of the second 4+4 CPU power connector cord... could I plug in just the first half and leave the other half dangling in air or might that short something? Would it arc if the other half isn't connected to anything?

1 minute ago, Spainz said:

Yeah the other side of the connector would basically be hanging there. The actual pins that make contact are a good distance into the connector so they shouldn't make contact with anything or arc, you would have to try to poke something into the connector to short it.