What is the difference between RTX TUF 3080 10G and RTX TUF 3080 O10G

DankDoodles
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

Just the boost clocks. They use the same cooler

18 hours ago, Slottr said:

Just the boost clocks. They use the same cooler

If i overclocked the non oc version, do i get the same performance as the oc version. Or is the oc version binned and can overclock higher?

5 minutes ago, THEDEATH said:

If i overclocked the non oc version, do i get the same performance as the oc version. Or is the oc version binned and can overclock higher?

You're getting the same chip either way, so the performance difference will be small

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

You're getting the same chip either way, so the performance difference will be small

Ok, so no point in paying more for the oc when i can overclock myself?

44 minutes ago, THEDEATH said:

Ok, so no point in paying more for the oc when i can overclock myself?

You're paying for the cooler, the difference is minimal so if you absolutely need this model then just get the cheaper one

However, I would be going with a different model just to avoid this one. The TUF coolers are generally pretty crap

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

19 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

What is the difference between RTX TUF 3080 10G and the RTX TUF 3080 O10g?

Is the only thing different is that one comes overclocked for you and one doesn't?
Are there any different specs/parts/something else? etc

Just the default or boost clocks are set higher on the O version and are tested stable.

The problem is, the silicon lottery is real with this gen.  Some people are buying Non OC versions that are clocking higher than OC versions.  I think one user bought a 3090 Tuf that overclocked higher than his Strix 3090 OC, even though the Strix has a much higher power limit and 3 pin PCIE.  So I'm not sure who is binning their chips (like remember the Turing A0 vs A1 chips, I believe it was for 2080's), so the OC versions may be only tested for stock stability, not that a "non OC" will be unstable at OC boost clocks.

tl;dr: The AIB's are just making money off you.  Someone said only eVGA actually bins their chips.

4 hours ago, Slottr said:

You're paying for the cooler, the difference is minimal so if you absolutely need this model then just get the cheaper one

However, I would be going with a different model just to avoid this one. The TUF coolers are generally pretty crap

Out of curiosity what makes you say that? From past generations? Benchmarks for the 3000 series cards show that the tuf coolers are on par with competitors.