Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So in short; I'm just going through a checklist in my brain.

 

Had a Crucial MX500 m.2 for roughly a year that I was using in a MSI Gaming Plus x470. Worked fine. It was a drive that had probably 5TBW because it had a few games on it that always stayed the same.

 

I decided to upgrade that machine to an x570 so I can get both machines prepped for Ryzen 4th CPUs. I popped the drive back in, and when I got into Windows, I saw the drive sitting here in the list of drive letters, all looked fine, and I just left it be for the day. The next day, I was going to wipe it, but first I wanted to go into it and just double check there was nothing I needed. As soon as I clicked on the drive, Windows Explorer froze, and then the drive disappeared. I did a reboot on the machine, and the drive was missing all together.

 

So I did the whole turn off the machine, change m.2 slots, reboot, go into UEFI, and look at the Board Explorer. The drive wasn't listing as connected. Shut down, changed slots again, same deal. However, the light on the ssd was lit up so it was getting power.

 

I also tried it in my x570 godlike, and the same deal, so I determined it was just dead. I did an RMA to Crucial since I was only a year into the 3 year warranty, but I'm sort of sitting here wondering what the heck happened. The drive was functioning perfect before the hardware switch. Are these drives prone to just dropping dead like that?

 

Not really a HUGE concern on it missing, since I have x2 1TB 970 Plus evos, and a 1TB WD_Black 750, but if they send me a replacement, I'll use it for a Linux drive. I just don't want to boot the machine up one day and it be dead again.

PC: Ryzen 9 3900x | NZXT Kraken Z63  | MSI MEG x570 Godlike  | Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz ( 32GB )  | ( x1 ) Sabrent Rocket NVMe Gen4 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB  | ( x1 ) WD_Black SN750 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 850 Evo 500GB  | ( x2 ) WD Black 7200rpm 1TB  | ROG Strix RTX 2070S Adv.  | Windows 3.11 + Number Munchers (Calculus Edition)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds kind of like what happened with my Zip drive.

It showed up as "Removable Disk (B:)", I clicked on it, File Explorer freezes up. I went to Task Manager to close it, and Windows goes all black with a few green lines.

I reboot and it's gone.

I wish my Zip drive still had its warranty :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had an NVMe drive that just hated the motherboard it was switched to. Like, it showed up in BIOS, but Windows would not load unless you F12'd to it. If you F12'd to it, Windows would load, freeze, then crash before you made it to the desktop. I was about to RMA the drive and the board when I put the drive back in its old board and fired it up and, um, it worked perfectly. It's still working perfectly, actually.

 

Can you test the drive in your old board?

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I've had an NVMe drive that just hated the motherboard it was switched to. Like, it showed up in BIOS, but Windows would not load unless you F12'd to it. If you F12'd to it, Windows would load, freeze, then crash before you made it to the desktop. I was about to RMA the drive and the board when I put the drive back in its old board and fired it up and, um, it worked perfectly. It's still working perfectly, actually.

 

Can you test the drive in your old board?

Yeah, After the switch to the x570 and it not working, I went back and tried it in the x470. A no-go in there too. So something happened to it after the migration at that first attempt to access it.

 

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Sounds kind of like what happened with my Zip drive.

It showed up as "Removable Disk (B:)", I clicked on it, File Explorer freezes up. I went to Task Manager to close it, and Windows goes all black with a few green lines.

I reboot and it's gone.

I wish my Zip drive still had its warranty :)

lol. Man those Zip drives were an amazing thing back then. Everyone and their mother used one for something. Seems like hardware lasted forever then. Damn I feel old. hah

PC: Ryzen 9 3900x | NZXT Kraken Z63  | MSI MEG x570 Godlike  | Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz ( 32GB )  | ( x1 ) Sabrent Rocket NVMe Gen4 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB  | ( x1 ) WD_Black SN750 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 850 Evo 500GB  | ( x2 ) WD Black 7200rpm 1TB  | ROG Strix RTX 2070S Adv.  | Windows 3.11 + Number Munchers (Calculus Edition)
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oort said:

Seems like hardware lasted forever then.

Spoken like a man who never owned a Packard Bell.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aisle9 said:

Spoken like a man who never owned a Packard Bell.

Sadly no hah.

My machine back then was a custom built AMD Athlon 1GHz, and a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. I had a machine before that, but hell, I was knee-high to a grasshopper then, don't remember what it was. But the AMD one was in my teen days of Unreal Tournament. That machine just kept going and going.

PC: Ryzen 9 3900x | NZXT Kraken Z63  | MSI MEG x570 Godlike  | Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz ( 32GB )  | ( x1 ) Sabrent Rocket NVMe Gen4 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB  | ( x1 ) WD_Black SN750 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 850 Evo 500GB  | ( x2 ) WD Black 7200rpm 1TB  | ROG Strix RTX 2070S Adv.  | Windows 3.11 + Number Munchers (Calculus Edition)
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oort said:

Sadly no hah.

My machine back then was a custom built AMD Athlon 1GHz, and a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. I had a machine before that, but hell, I was knee-high to a grasshopper then, don't remember what it was. But the AMD one was in my teen days of Unreal Tournament. That machine just kept going and going.

I remember looking at old AMD K-6 systems back in the 90s when my parents agreed to get my a "cheap" system for school. I did the best research that I could at that age, but kept going up against Radio Shack and Sears sales guys telling my mom that a kid my age needs to play games, and a K-6 wouldn't do it...but the far more expensive Intel would. Naturally, at that point, my objections were ignored as my mother told the salesmen that the systems were just too expensive for her taste, and back to the 486DX I went.

 

It was almost like trying to buy a system from Jayztwocents, tbqh.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the thing with NAND storage devices, unlike mechanical spinning HDD's, it doesn't show symptoms.

They just die all of a sudden.

It could be the controller, the NAND, or just something on the PCB.

 

My 120GB Corsair ForceGT did exactly the same years ago.

Annnd it died just months after the warranty period ended.

(Those "high performance" SSDs back in 2010 ~ 2012 were overdriven to get max SATA III performance, plus the controllers were not great)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I remember looking at old AMD K-6 systems back in the 90s when my parents agreed to get my a "cheap" system for school. I did the best research that I could at that age, but kept going up against Radio Shack and Sears sales guys telling my mom that a kid my age needs to play games, and a K-6 wouldn't do it...but the far more expensive Intel would. Naturally, at that point, my objections were ignored as my mother told the salesmen that the systems were just too expensive for her taste, and back to the 486DX I went.

 

It was almost like trying to buy a system from Jayztwocents, tbqh.

Now that you mention the K6, I swear that could have been the system I had as my first computer before the AMD 1GHz days. 

 

I don't remember the exact model, but it was somewhere below 500Mhz. Then i upgraded to a 800MHz AMD, and then the 1GHz AMD came out and that was the "oh my god I need it" chip. I've never had Intel; for some reason as a kid, our family always stuck with AMD because my cousin was a big computer guy and that's just what he chose.

I know I had a duron for a bit, which may have been the 800MHz one. But the K6 rings a ton of bells. Literally had like a 40MB hard drive, Canon Bubblejet printer, and I spent my first few days figuring out downloads.com and installing the game "Black Knight Flight Sim" lol

 

And yeah, the damn sales guys were all about making money. The bigger the sale, the better.

 

13 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

That's the thing with NAND storage devices, unlike mechanical spinning HDD's, it doesn't show symptoms.

They just die all of a sudden.

It could be the controller, the NAND, or just something on the PCB.

 

My 120GB Corsair ForceGT did exactly the same a years ago.

Annnd it died just months after the warranty period ended.

(Those "high performance" SSDs back in 2010 ~ 2012 were overdriven to get max SATA III performance, and just wore out super quick)

Yeah it was quite weird. Just poofed. I've read up on the newer motherboards not supporting stuff like the Crucial, and want only NVMe drives since the 1st slot is associated to CPU, that's why I flipped the drive around in the slots on both motherboards. Just been wracking my brain on how it went so easily when it was fine after the format. But then again, I've never had an SSD just die. I guess I've been lucky up to this point. Hell, even my 850 Evo is still kicking and it's like 4 years old.

PC: Ryzen 9 3900x | NZXT Kraken Z63  | MSI MEG x570 Godlike  | Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz ( 32GB )  | ( x1 ) Sabrent Rocket NVMe Gen4 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB  | ( x1 ) WD_Black SN750 1TB  | ( x1 ) Samsung 850 Evo 500GB  | ( x2 ) WD Black 7200rpm 1TB  | ROG Strix RTX 2070S Adv.  | Windows 3.11 + Number Munchers (Calculus Edition)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×