GPU consumes much more power on desktop after UV'ing

RTX 3071
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
2 minutes ago, RTX 3069 said:

So basically I have to do it manually like that, right?

Yes, I think so. Worth a try! 

I'm not sure if it's the right category for this, I just signed up so I have no idea.

Anyways, I decided to UV my ROG Strix RTX 2070 for lower power consumption. It did very well, dropped from 61 degs to 57 degs in Heaven Benchmark, only lost 1 FPS, with 20-25% less power consumption. For Warzone, temps dropped to 54 degs from 61 degs, all settings max. With around 35-40% less power consumption with a 1 FPS difference.

I was ready to apply my UV at startup but I realised it consumes so much power when nothing is running. It was 31 degs and around 12W power consumption on desktop and it's 45W with 38 degs now. Are there any ways for reducing this? If not, is there an app which automatically applies this configuration when I fire up a game?

(Used MSI Afterburner)

I'm curious about this as well, as in Afterburner even if you save the profile it won't load the profile properly later on. In my example I lock my 2080 to 1.000v and 1950Mhz using the curve editor. I save it to profile. When I'm done gaming I restore default settings. When I load up the profile again later the curve editor doesn't revert to what I had locked in, but loads whatever curve it feels like instead.

I mean it only takes me 10 seconds to redo the voltage lock every time I'm gaming, but yeah it would be nice to have an easier implementation that doesn't ruin your custom curve that you saved. AMD have this built into their in-game software overlay to automatically load custom voltage curve on a per-game basis, it's litle things like this that I wish Nvidia would add to their suite.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

29 minutes ago, RTX 3069 said:

was ready to apply my UV at startup but I realised it consumes so much power when nothing is running. It was 31 degs and around 12W power consumption on desktop and it's 45W with 38 degs now. Are there any ways for reducing this? 

Did you maybe just maybe turn on "prefer maximum performance" in NVIDIA settings? 

Because that behavior is exactly what happens when you do that, power consumption through the roof for no reason whatsoever. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

AMD have this built into their in-game software overlay to automatically load custom voltage curve on a per-game basis, it's litle things like this that I wish Nvidia would add to their suite.

I don't know, it's weird this stuff works so differently for different people / setups... 

For me the AMD app would not remember anything ever, had to redo everything after closing a game etc... Very annoying obviously... 

Yet, Afterburner remembers everything including a custom voltage curve I did years ago (but never use it cause it's useless on my card) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Did you maybe just maybe turn on "prefer maximum performance" in NVIDIA settings? 

Because that behavior is exactly what happens when you do that, power consumption through the roof for no reason whatsoever. 

It will do it with optimal power as well when you lock voltage, even with idle clocks, hence why OP is asking for advice on an automated solution.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

57 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't know, it's weird this stuff works so differently for different people / setups... 

For me the AMD app would not remember anything ever, had to redo everything after closing a game etc... Very annoying obviously... 

Yet, Afterburner remembers everything including a custom voltage curve I did years ago (but never use it cause it's useless on my card) 

what are you even talking about? Why respond if you're going to BS for no reason?

27 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

what are you even talking about? Why respond if you're going to BS for no reason?

What exactly was "bs" in your opinion? 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

And this is why I made this reply... There has to be a reason things behave so differently on different setups... 

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

AMD have this built into their in-game software overlay to automatically load custom voltage curve on a per-game basis,

Also did you even try this or... 

Because for me it wouldn't even load a custom fan curve

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

When I load up the profile again later the curve editor doesn't revert to what I had locked in, but loads whatever curve it feels like instead.

Not saying this is "bs" but "weird". 

Like I said earlier, this curve varies from GPU to GPU, so my curve might not work for you, or you may be able to go even lower to achieve a stable setting.

When you are done with testing, and have found a good setting, you can save the profile in MSI Afterburner (so you don't have to redo it on every boot). In order to save a profile, make sure the lock over "profile" (below the voltage and temperature gauges) is unlocked, click the save icon to the right and select one of the blinking numbers 1-5. 

Congratulations, you have successfully undervolted your GPU!

Maybe this would help? 

(because it works for me) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

What exactly was "bs" in your opinion? 

And this is why I made this reply... There has to be a reason things behave so differently on different setups... 

Also did you even try this or... 

Because for me it wouldn't even load a custom fan curve

Not saying this is "bs" but "weird". 

Maybe this would help? 

(because it works for me) 

2 minutes ago, RTX 3069 said:

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

I guess I'll mark this as a solution because I couldn't find any automatic ways for this.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I'm curious about this as well, as in Afterburner even if you save the profile it won't load the profile properly later on. In my example I lock my 2080 to 1.000v and 1950Mhz using the curve editor. I save it to profile. When I'm done gaming I restore default settings. When I load up the profile again later the curve editor doesn't revert to what I had locked in, but loads whatever curve it feels like instead.

I mean it only takes me 10 seconds to redo the voltage lock every time I'm gaming, but yeah it would be nice to have an easier implementation that doesn't ruin your custom curve that you saved. AMD have this built into their in-game software overlay to automatically load custom voltage curve on a per-game basis, it's litle things like this that I wish Nvidia would add to their suite.

Not sure why it doesn't work in your case. I have 5700XT and a 1080Ti. Both undervolt using MSI Afterburner. Both will load the profile automatically.