Team blue or red for gaming

Go to solution Solved by TheInfinityBacon,
Just now, Tide redshift said:

I was aiming for the CPU clock speed

It isn't as simple as CPU clock speed. Years ago, AMD had chips which could go 5.0GHz+ (clock speed), but their Instructions Per Clock (IPC) was lower. According to AMD, their new CPU's perform higher than Intel's current lineup (nothing overclocked), and given their track record, it is probably going to be fairly accurate. That said, WAIT FOR INDEPENDENT BENCHMARKS!!!

Your question would be better answered in about a week after their new processors are released, and definitive answers can be given.

I'm looking for upgrading my motherboard/CPU/memory for my gaming setup.

Bow that AMD announced the 5000 series, its looking interesting to go for that but I still see that intel still has more clock speed for the same amount of €€€.

Budget for the CPU/MB/Memory is around 500 to 600 european pesos. --> putting CPU cost around 300€

Playing games like Warzone, Valorant, League of Legends, Kerbal Space Program

My burning questions: 

- Does more clock speed = better for gaming?

- Does more cores/threads mean better gaming? (See games above)

I am forever in your dept for the nice answers alrdy!

the ryzen 5600x beats the 10900k in single thread, which is all the 10900k really had going for itself.

but thats all i can really say since rocket lake hasnt come out yet.

Of course Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 is not out yet, so I will base my answers on Zen 2/Ryzen 3000, as the information will likely still be relevant when the new CPU's come out.

1 minute ago, Tide redshift said:

Yes, to a certain point.

3600Mhz CL16 seems to be the sweet spot for RAM currently, a set of sticks sticks, like 2x8GB.

Anything above that in speed has diminishing return, meaning you pay more for relatively minor improvements.

2 minutes ago, Tide redshift said:

Yes, to a certain points.

For 'just gaming', 6 cores 12 threads (like what we see on current Ryzen 5/Intel i5 CPU's) seem to be all that is needed, with more cores/threads helping in other workloads (like video editing, 3D modeling, recording/streaming, etc.).

Very rarely will you see 8 cores or more improving performance in games (but there are exceptions).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, Tide redshift said:

Neither necessarily. Wait for reviews of how they actually perform. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

but thats all i can really say since rocket lake hasnt come out yet.

Yet you can say "the ryzen 5600x beats the 10900k in single thread" when it hasn't come out yet either? Odd

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 minute ago, Elisis said:

Yet you can say "the ryzen 5600x beats the 10900k in single thread" when it hasn't come out yet either? Odd

benchmarks were released a few days ago

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes, to a certain point.

3600Mhz CL16 seems to be the sweet spot for RAM currently, a set of sticks sticks, like 2x8GB.

Thanks for the answers, but here I was aiming for the CPU clock speed, not the memory ;) but good insights anyway, so thanks!

2 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

benchmarks were released a few days ago

No, only AMD's claims were released, not independent benchmarks that are not questionable leaks.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Tide redshift said:

Thanks for the answers, but here I was aiming for the CPU clock speed, not the memory ;) but good insights anyway, so thanks!

Ah okay.

You can't judge a CPU by its clock speed, look at independent reviews and judge CPU performance by what you see in the benchmarks they release.

Judging a CPU's performance by its clock speed is like judging a car's speed by how fast the wheels spin. Sure, it's something that factors in the performance, but on its own it's not enough to judge the car (or CPU, as it were with the clock speed).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Tide redshift said:

I was aiming for the CPU clock speed

It isn't as simple as CPU clock speed. Years ago, AMD had chips which could go 5.0GHz+ (clock speed), but their Instructions Per Clock (IPC) was lower. According to AMD, their new CPU's perform higher than Intel's current lineup (nothing overclocked), and given their track record, it is probably going to be fairly accurate. That said, WAIT FOR INDEPENDENT BENCHMARKS!!!

Your question would be better answered in about a week after their new processors are released, and definitive answers can be given.