EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 : Less power draw when streaming (OBS) ?

PaddyFR

I had a quick question. I wanted to show Port Royal Benchmark to some friends via Twitch. And when I launched Port Royal whilst streaming, the stream fps was extremely low and also instead of getting 55fps on Port Royal I was doing much less, like 20fps. I was wondering if it's normal that the GPU draws less power when opening OBS ? I'm not even streaming, I'm just opening OBS.exe and letting it run. I also get FPS drops (about 10%) in games (like Monster Hunter world, which is not an RTX on game)

Here's an example with Port Royal in 1080p windowed on my 1440p screen :

eLxQSLa.png

Why does the power draw drop ? 

Same result when doing a Time Spy full screen windowed benchmark. Goes from 450W to ~375W
VINxgID.png

Along with this problem, i've noticed another more serious issue. When streaming and playing Monster Hunter World (borderless windowed, everything on ultra) at 80fps, sometimes the game will go down to 30 fps and when I check the power draw, it's at 100W only instead of 300W. After a few moments it goes back up to 300W. This only happens when OBS is open. I find this phenomenon not normal. I know that when streaming you get less FPS, but this phenomenon happens from time to time and I don't understand why the GPU suddenly decides to draw less power for like 20 seconds when i'm gaming + streaming.

Any ideas ? I don't think my card is broken, i have decent scores and can overclock to 2100Mhz core on Port Royal.

Picture of my build.
MB : MSI X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
CPU : Amd Ryzen 7 3700X - (OC Enhanced Mode 3)
CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15
GPU : EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
PSU : Seasonic Focus 850W Platinum
RAM : 16Gox2 3200Mhz
Port Royal : 12427

What is doing your encoding in OBS? When you let your cpu do the work, it might be bottlenecking in the benchmark and thus your GPU is not able to fully utilize it's power. Did you try NVENC? Maybe also check RAM useage. It could be that 16GB is not enough for streaming and benchmarking at the same time.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

What is doing your encoding in OBS? When you let your cpu do the work, it might be bottlenecking in the benchmark and thus your GPU is not able to fully utilize it's power. Did you try NVENC? Maybe also check RAM useage. It could be that 16GB is not enough for streaming and benchmarking at the same time.

So I looked and it was already on NVEC

image.png.a19efd16beaa09149ac6fc3a93683429.png

I changed the encore from NVEC to software and i still have same problem, when i open OBS the power draw is decreased and also the stream is super laggy. This only happens on Port Royal which is RTX game.

image.thumb.png.4d5af45a3a710c146940e1560e00c55b.png

🤔 

1 minute ago, PaddyFR said:

Sorry, it was just a wild guess. I don't stream myself and have absolutely 0 experience with OBS. I can't help you any further. Hope someone else can!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 2:50 AM, Craftyawesome said:

Are you still lagging if you switch to a scene with no sources?

Yes, i'm still lagging

On 10/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, PaddyFR said:

When streaming and playing Monster Hunter World (borderless windowed, everything on ultra) at 80fps, sometimes the game will go down to 30

have you considered not using OBS? personally I find it makes my games lag like hell and does not look any better than NV geforce... which only costs 1 fps or so.

Also what do you get in MHW without OBS? 

I just checked out of curiosity, and I'm getting ~102 fps with a 1070... 

20201201_124822.thumb.jpg.6a9221096ee6adbd6766463577d50d3c.jpg

(HIGH settings) 

I hate unlocked framerate tho so I turned that shit right off (respectively Vsync on) lol... how can people play with unlocked framerate, it's so laggy wtf. 

Anyways it might be a driver problem too... I can't use anything beyond drivers from 2/20...I guess you don't really have the option to downgrade tho. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Interesting. I'm everything on ultra on 1440p and I'm at 90-100fps approximately. 

7 minutes ago, PaddyFR said:

Interesting. I'm everything on ultra on 1440p and I'm at 90-100fps approximately. 

Well im playing at 1080p... makes sense I guess... 

Tho I just wouldn't use OBS then if it works fine without? might be they didn't really optimize for the new cards yet? seems kinda likely... 

PS: I do have the hi res texture pack installed tho, because high resolutions, yo!  :D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity