How future proof will be this setup?

Hi guys,

I am in need of some wisdom from you guys to decide what should I buy?

A gtx 1660 super 6gb or a 1650 super 4gb combined with a i7-4770 (non K) and 16GB of RAM. I can't upgrade my CPU so I need to choose between those two but I am concerned that if I buy a 1660 super it will bottleneck my CPU (or will it? I seriously don't know and just looked on a bottleneck calculator website) but I REALLY like the idea of having Extra V-RAM then 1650 super with which I know it won't bottleneck but will the 4GB of V-RAM will be sufficient enough to some play AAA games (Mostly games like resident evil games, Rockstar current and future games when ever they come and Microsoft flight simulator 2020) for maybe the upcoming year's?

So what do you guys think what should I go for so that for the next 5 or 6 year (exaggerating the amount of time here a bit) and i am seriously not concerned with playing games on its highest setting or anything I just want to have it on a playable setting keeping that in mind which option will be best for me and I have 450w thermaltake PSU don't know it's rating?

In some cases, 4GB of VRAM isn't enough for 1080p high/ultra. The 1660 Super will probably last a couple of years, but after that you may have to start dropping some settings to medium. That processor is really starting to become kind of obsolete in 2020 (at least for gaming); it definitely is not future proof, so you may want to think about saving up a bit.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

M8 you are kind in a hard rock in a hard place. You are in a corner no matter what. Go with a 1650 and see if you can get some better parts.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

In some cases, 4GB of VRAM isn't enough for 1080p high/ultra. The 1660 Super will probably last a couple of years, but after that you may have to start dropping some settings to medium. That processor is really starting to become kind of obsolete in 2020 (at least for gaming); it definitely is not future proof, so you may want to think about saving up a bit.

But will it bottleneck ??

1 minute ago, Allpha said:

Yes, probably.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

2 minutes ago, NarwhalKing33 said:

M8 you are kind in a hard rock in a hard place. You are in a corner no matter what. Go with a 1650 and see if you can get some better parts.

The problem is I think this GPU will be last upgrade I ever do cuz getting to a point in life where even finding the time to play will be hard so want something that will atlest last a little longer

10 minutes ago, Allpha said:

That’s not really how bottlenecking works.  There is the CPU and the GPU.  Different programs use different parts of each of them different amounts.  With a random app it could hit the cpu very hard in which case that will saturate long before the gpu does.  With other apps that hit the gpu really hard it could saturate before the CPU does.  There are extremely GPU dependent apps where a 4770k will still have room on it after burying a 2080ti.  Not a lot, but they exist.  I’ve got a lead 4770k that runs at 4.0ghz.(lousy) I can bury a rx580 with it and have about 20%cpu left in fallout 4.  Different game though different ratio.

For what it’s worth I expect my machine to be able to play new games into next year, but not very far into next year.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, tishous said:

That processor is really starting to become kind of obsolete in 2020 (at least for gaming); it definitely is not future proof, so you may want to think about saving up a bit.

I dropped my 4790k last year after upgrading my monitor at the time to 1440p60 paired with a GTX 1070. You won't be happy with the performance if you plan on going with your system for the next 5-6 years, expect to lower the eye candy (graphical settings) if you want to maintain good performance. If I had a choice, I would just go with the GTX 1660 6GB now but with newer GPUs coming out next month (AMD 6000 series), I'd try and score a higher end card out there when the retailers/stores start dropping the prices on current inventory. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

36 minutes ago, Allpha said:

Hi guys,

I am in need of some wisdom from you guys to decide what should I buy?

A gtx 1660 super 6gb or a 1650 super 4gb combined with a i7-4770 (non K) and 16GB of RAM. I can't upgrade my CPU so I need to choose between those two but I am concerned that if I buy a 1660 super it will bottleneck my CPU (or will it? I seriously don't know and just looked on a bottleneck calculator website) but I REALLY like the idea of having Extra V-RAM then 1650 super with which I know it won't bottleneck but will the 4GB of V-RAM will be sufficient enough to some play AAA games (Mostly games like resident evil games, Rockstar current and future games when ever they come and Microsoft flight simulator 2020) for maybe the upcoming year's?

So what do you guys think what should I go for so that for the next 5 or 6 year (exaggerating here a bit) which option will be best for me and I have 450w thermaltake PSU don't know it's rating

That is not even current proof let alone future proof.  Is this a trick question?  That quad core is Sandy Level coupled with a 1650  your only hope is higher resolution gaming as 1080p or 720p is your choice on that machine.🤷‍♀️🎗✝👶

Intel i9 10980XE / Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master EATX HEDT / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i PSU / Corsair H115i Pro RGB @ 2x Noctua DH-A14 Fans / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition No Glass @ Noctua DH-A14 Int DH-P12 Exh Fans / LG 43" IPS Matte 4K HDR10 / LG 55" C9 OLED HDR10 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse Lizzard Grip & G915 Wireless Linear Keyboard Brushed Aircraft Aluminum & G935 Wireless 7.1 HP & C920 Webcam / Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10-3 Gen4 Monitors @ Black Wooden Stands / Thurman Power Conditioner / Sennheiser HD 650 / HD BTNC 4.50 / StudioLogic SL 88 Grand MIDI Controller Wooden Fatar Hammer Action Keys / Cakewalk By BandLab DAW / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / M4 500GB / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / E-WIN Champion Series Gaming Chair Perforated Leather Black @ All Black Grey Music Studio / UOKIER Wirless Camera / Google Pixel 5 / Music Studio

5 hours ago, Pitbull Tyson said:

That is not even current proof let alone future proof.  Is this a trick question?  That quad core is Sandy Level coupled with a 1650  your only hope is higher resolution gaming as 1080p or 720p is your choice on that machine.🤷‍♀️🎗✝👶

So up you think i should go with a 1660s ? btw I am seriously not concerned with playing games on its highest setting or anything I just want to have it on a playable setting.

GTX 1660 should be good. But it may not have a long time left before it is considered obsolete by gaming industry standard. If you are just playing old games, you should be fine.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

7 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I dropped my 4790k last year after upgrading my monitor at the time to 1440p60 paired with a GTX 1070. You won't be happy with the performance if you plan on going with your system for the next 5-6 years, expect to lower the eye candy (graphical settings) if you want to maintain good performance. If I had a choice, I would just go with the GTX 1660 6GB now but with newer GPUs coming out next month (AMD 6000 series), I'd try and score a higher end card out there when the retailers/stores start dropping the prices on current inventory. 

I am prepared to lower my eye candy and wont be plating games on high or ultra even now but my concern is bottlenecking would that be a problem for me running a 1660s on a I7-4770 (non k) or would it be even noticeable by a casual user like ?

6 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

GTX 1660 should be good. But it may not have a long time left before it is considered obsolete by gaming industry standard. If you are just playing old games, you should be fine.

STRICLY speaking the truth I am just considering that to just be able to play the upcoming Resident evil 8 and Resident evil 4 remake (and maybe able to play other future games that are coming) that will be coming in the future i would be happy to play those games just either low or medium as long as it's playable and i want to hook 3rd monitor to my extricating setup of 2 monitors that's why thinking of going with 1660 super but then just one thing that worrying me is the bottleneck will it happen or wont it??

7 minutes ago, Allpha said:

I am prepared to lower my eye candy and wont be plating games on high or ultra even now but my concern is bottlenecking would that be a problem for me running a 1660s on a I7-4770 (non k) or would it be even noticeable by a casual user like ?

You can expect to see a difference of 30-40 fps lower with the 4770 on a higher end card, as the CPU would be bottlenecked. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You can expect to see a difference of 30-40 fps lower with the 4770 on a higher end card, as the CPU would be bottlenecked. 

How severe will be the bottleneck? and what if I paired it with a 1650 super what kind of performance will I get form that keeping that in mind my mind set is to have a playable setting not looking for ultra high resolution i will be happy on 720p gaming tbh 

22 minutes ago, Allpha said:

How severe will be the bottleneck? and what if I paired it with a 1650 super what kind of performance will I get form that keeping that in mind my mind set is to have a playable setting not looking for ultra high resolution i will be happy on 720p gaming tbh 

What I meant by a higher end card was something along the lines of a 2070 and higher (any 30 series from the mid-range to high end (3090). I think you will be fine with even 1080 but don't go for 1440 or higher. 

1080 is still the sweet spot for great FPS and graphics settings with modern graphics cards (above 10 series Nvidia and AMD RX 500 series). You would still really want more VRAM than 4GB with some games consuming a lot of VRAM. I would expect to get another 2-3 years of enjoyable gameplay with that system realistically.

22 minutes ago, Allpha said:

*sigh*

if you run something really cpu intensive or even just something that needs more than 8 threads to run right very possibly a whole freaking lot.  If you run something that doesn’t use very many threads and isn’t cpu intensive and you’re not running at an extreme resolution very likely not at all.  It depends entirely on what it is you run. There is ALWAYS A BOTTLENECK.  If one thing is running at 99% and the other is running at 100% that’s a bottleneck. It’s not magic.  it just depends on which bit runs out of processing power first, the gpu or cpu.  

Why is it every time someone says the word “bottleneck” everything suddenly turns cargo cult level “big metal bird drop gifts from sky” type stuff. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

What I meant by a higher end card was something along the lines of a 2070 and higher (any 30 series from the mid-range to high end (3090). I think you will be fine with even 1080 but don't go for 1440 or higher. 

1080 is still the sweet spot for great FPS and graphics settings with modern graphics cards (above 10 series Nvidia and AMD RX 500 series). You would still really want more VRAM than 4GB with some games consuming a lot of VRAM. I would expect to get another 2-3 years of enjoyable gameplay with that system realistically.

just to be clear (and sorry I overthink stuff to much and i am not very techie) you are saying that i should go with 1660 super and the games will be playable and i wouldn't experience  any noticeable problem with I7-4770 and 1660 super combined ?

1 minute ago, Allpha said:

just to be clear (and sorry I overthink stuff to much and i am not very techie) you are saying that i should go with 1660 super and the games will be playable and i wouldn't experience  any noticeable problem with I7-4770 and 1660 super combined ?

Definitely go with the 1660 Super 6GB as those 6GB of VRAM WILL matter for the future of your gaming voyage. As long as you are staying at 1920 x 1080 resolutions, you will be fine with a i7-4770, a 1660 Super and 16GB of RAM. 

Here is a good video from Gamers Nexus of just the 4790k in 2020 but figure around 5% lower performance with a 4770. 

Just now, Allpha said:

You haven’t said what games, or what resolution or refresh rate you would be playing them on. A 1660S can run stuff at 2k. So 1080p@120hz or 1440p@60hz. If all you have is a 1080p@60hz (more or less bog standard) monitor a 1660S will do you little good period.  A fast gpu will not make a slow cpu go faster. The CPU makes the pictures and the GPU draws them.  If the pictures are small and simple the GPU can make them faster. A CPU can only make pictures as fast as it can make them though, and while your cpu can make pictures from simple games fairly fast, it’s not so good at the more complex ones.  You want to play valorant or rainbow siege? Simple games.  Your CPU can make a lot of pictures per second.  You want to play Red Dead Redemption2? More complex pictures. Make the screen smaller or reduce details it helps the GPU but not the CPU.  There’s really very little that can help the CPU except getting a bigger cpu. 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Definitely go with the 1660 Super 6GB as those 6GB of VRAM WILL matter for the future of your gaming voyage. As long as you are staying at 1920 x 1080 resolutions, you will be fine with a i7-4770, a 1660 Super and 16GB of RAM. 

Here is a good video from Gamers Nexus of just the 4790k in 2020 but figure around 5% lower performance with a 4770. 

lower than 5% I think. Average is 20% for intel CPUs between a k and a non k and it’s not a 4790 it’s a 4770 which has much lower clocks across the board.  

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You haven’t said what games, or what resolution or refresh rate you would be playing them on. A 1660S can run stuff at 2k. So 1080p@120hz or 1440p@60hz. If all you have is a 1080p@60hz (more or less bog standard) monitor a 1660S will do you little good period.  A fast gpu will not make a slow cpu go faster. The CPU makes the pictures and the GPU draws them.  If the pictures are small and simple the GPU can make them faster. A CPU can only make pictures as fast as it can make them though, and while your cpu can make pictures from simple games fairly fast, it’s not so good at the more complex ones.  You want to play valorant or rainbow siege? Simple games.  Your CPU can make a lot of pictures per second.  You want to play Red Dead Redemption2? More complex pictures. Make the screen smaller or reduce details it helps the GPU but not the CPU.  There’s really very little that can help the CPU except getting a bigger cpu. 

1- Remake of Resident evil 2, 3 and the future remake of RE4 and the upcoming RE8

2- Watch dogs 3

3- rockstars games both RDR2 and GTA V and maybe a big maybe it's future games

35 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thank you so much helped a lot!!

Just now, Allpha said:

Thank you so much helped a lot!!

No problem. 

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

lower than 5% I think. Average is 20% for intel CPUs between a k and a non k and it’s not a 4790 it’s a 4770 which has much lower clocks across the board.  

I always thought 20% more performance every generation, not 20% more performance between k and non-k SKUs. Haswell was just a tock/refresh in their 22nm process lithography and Haswell Refresh was just an enhancement with better TIM, additional capacitors for voltage, slightly more performance etc. 

Just now, Allpha said:

1- Remake of Resident evil 2, 3 and the future remake of RE4 and the upcoming RE8

2- Watch dogs 3

3- rockstars games both RDR2 and GTA V and maybe a big maybe it's future games

Of that group the only game I have is gta V. It’s a very old game and as such is simple.  You might actually get higher fps out of a 1660s than a 1650 on gtaV, way higher than 60fps. If that’s all that your monitor can do though (hz and fps are about equal) while you might be able to get, let’s randomly say 1%lows of 100fps, you still won’t see more than 60fps so it won’t matter. If you don’t have a freesynch or gsynch monitor the 1% low matters much more than the average or high because the 1% low is the slowest point.  If you’ve got 1% highs of 200fps but 1% lows of 12, the game is still going to suck because the points that it is at 12 will be laggy.