Ryzen 7 3700X temperature problems

So I've recently got a new processor, the 7 3700x. It's working fine, performs well, benchmarks good - but the temperatures are strange.

On completely idle, when the pc starts up, it's ranging from 40 to 55 C. Which in my mind is completely normal.

The problems start when I do literally anything, like, opening chrome and watching a youtube video, with nothing running in the background but that single video - the temps jump up to 70-79ish C. While playing games, it's the same.

I'm assuming gaving 70-79C while gaming is normal on a processor like this. But I really don't like such high temps while doing literally anything else, it should not be like this.

I've been using the stock cooler that comes with the cpu, I've since replaced it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED. No difference. Perhaps I need just better airflow or swap the sides of the fan.

I've also found a sort of "solution" to the problem, looked up a video, it says to change the power to 99% in windows power options. It did the trick, it dropped idle temps to around 55ish C. But I don't want to sacrifice performance, I've read that this will make it run on standard stock speeds, without any ability to boost, I primarily use my computer for gaming so this might be an issue. 

I've downloaded the ryzen master and without any changes, with stock everything (I have not touched any overclocking feature or anything like that, the cpu is basically used as is out of the box)

image.thumb.png.9713a7b25df3f46de0d2af5c19edf83d.png

The moment I change it to 99% power usage, it normalizes again. What is going on?

image.thumb.png.da49fc99b150aafdc4de992a993ccad2.png

I'm asking if theres any solution to this problem. If necessary I'm willing to purchase more fans/better case to resolve this, but as I've already added a good custom cooler on the cpu without any noticable changes, I want to know if it would actually help. Anyone have any similar experiences with the 3700x?

Full specs

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Corsair 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1397MHz 

PRIME B350-PLUS (AM4)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (MSI VENTUS)

Hitachi HP SSD EX920 1TB SSD

Here let me explain what's going on and why.

AMD wanted Ryzen to both save power and to be snappy so that they quickly react when it is introduced to workloads. Because of this it will be very eager to boost and when Ryzen 3000 boosts it eats electricity. This will make the temp spike up. So this is the way the CPU is designed but fret not, improvements can be made.

Update Chipset drivers and use Ryzen Balanced power plan which are bundled with the aforementioned drivers.

Update BIOS.

Experiment with fan curves.

Improve the cooling but it is not essential. I mostly just did it because I wanted a more quiet system.

This will improve your temps without sacrificing performance. On the contrary it may even increase the performance. Your temps are not dangerous so that's nothing to worry about as max temp is 95c.

11 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Update Chipset drivers and use Ryzen Balanced power plan which are bundled with the aforementioned drivers.

Update BIOS.

Experiment with fan curves.

Improve the cooling but it is not essential. I mostly just did it because I wanted a more quiet system.

I've done it all, no change.

Specifically, I've maxed my cpu fan speed and the temperature hasn't budged or if it has, it's not very noticeable. 

That being said, I'm guessing my cpu will always give its all when watching netflix?

Those idle temperatues are still quite high especially from a cold boot. 35-40C is more normal if you're on air. I would say check the thermal paste coverage on the IHS and if the cooler is mounted with enough pressure on the CPU.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

4 minutes ago, Stiflex said:

I've done it all, no change.

Specifically, I've maxed my cpu fan speed and the temperature hasn't budged or if it has, it's not very noticeable. 

That being said, I'm guessing my cpu will always give its all when watching netflix?

That's strange.. As tishous said verify that your cooler is properly mounted and that thermal paste is decently spread. Remember you do not want too little paste, too much is better than not enough as excess will be forced out through the sides when you apply pressure by tightening the HSF. The 212 has the adjusting screw under the heatsink also try adjusting on that.

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

That's strange.. As tishous said verify that your cooler is properly mounted and that thermal paste is decently spread. Remember you do not want too little paste, too much is better than not enough as excess will be forced out through the sides when you apply pressure by tightening the HSF. The 212 has the adjusting screw under the heatsink also try adjusting on that.

I'm using a b350-plus, it does not use any screws, as it simply doesn't fit, it mounts exactly like the stock cooler with the metal clamps that attach to the custom mounts that come with the motherboard and tightens with a lock.

I'll try to redo it, perhaps there's too little paste.

Also, would there be a difference where the fan is? Since the angle is different from how it's usually placed. It's currently blowing out air into the top opening, the fan on the left is also blowing air out.

123097875_478398239728545_3393792382685051590_n.thumb.jpg.5ee81a32e3d9689765282065c3b41f11.jpg

Just now, Stiflex said:

I'm using a b350-plus, it does not use any screws, as it simply doesn't fit, it mounts exactly like the stock cooler with the metal clamps that attach to the custom mounts that come with the motherboard and tightens with a lock.

I'll try to redo it, perhaps there's too little paste.

Also, would there be a difference where the fan is? Since the angle is different from how it's usually placed. It's currently blowing out air into the top opening, the fan on the left is also blowing air out.

Oh.. my 212 Evo didn't use any of the original mounting hardware. Ok but mounting it the clamp will make pressure between the IHS and HSF.

I ran my 212 like you did before I learned that the best way to mount it with one fan attached is to have it blow from the front to the back.  Like I did here.

Spoiler

large.IMG_20200310_034602.jpg.5b477359eebc7abb7c2b759c40089cc0.jpg

I suggest overclocking. Ryzen 3000 uses high voltages for some reason. Lowering that and keeping an overclock does decrease thermals. 

My 3800XT ran about 88 degrees when under cinebench r20 load while stock. I managed to overclock it to 4500 at 1.35v and under cinebench it now gets around 83c max but performs better multi and single. I am using a hyper 212 black which is a bit better than the standard hyper 212. And under gaming load it gets between 60-70 which is fine.  

I can of course push it way further due to it being a silicone lottery chip because all XT ryzen 3000 chips are that. But.. I need better cooling for it. 

So my take on this. For you. Is to overclock. And lower the voltage. This will help with temps and even performance. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

5 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Oh.. my 212 Evo didn't use any of the original mounting hardware. Ok but mounting it the clamp will make pressure between the IHS and HSF.

I ran my 212 like you did before I learned that the best way to mount it with one fan attached is to have it blow from the front to the back.  Like I did here.

Reveal hidden contents

large.IMG_20200310_034602.jpg.5b477359eebc7abb7c2b759c40089cc0.jpg

Right, so I've resetup the cooler, I've changed the sides of the fan, as it was blowing air out instead of sucking it into the heatsink. Its now doing 60-70ish on games, haven't played any battlefields or anything, but I'm assuming it would go upto 80ish, which I guess should be normal.

Now on cold start, it goes from 34C to 45C and somewhere around that. Whilst typing this out, having a few chrome tabs open as well as ryzen master, it's stable at 45C. All of this is without reducing power or anything.

All in all, I think somewhat fixed it, however, I'm still going to look for a new case, since mine is from 2011, I've just been replacing parts inside it. Not much point in fitting new fans in such an old cage. I'm also going to look for the setting, should be around a few euros from what I've seen, so I could mount the cooler vertically.

Thanks for all the help.

1 hour ago, Stiflex said:

Right, so I've resetup the cooler, I've changed the sides of the fan, as it was blowing air out instead of sucking it into the heatsink. Its now doing 60-70ish on games, haven't played any battlefields or anything, but I'm assuming it would go upto 80ish, which I guess should be normal.

Now on cold start, it goes from 34C to 45C and somewhere around that. Whilst typing this out, having a few chrome tabs open as well as ryzen master, it's stable at 45C. All of this is without reducing power or anything.

All in all, I think somewhat fixed it, however, I'm still going to look for a new case, since mine is from 2011, I've just been replacing parts inside it. Not much point in fitting new fans in such an old cage. I'm also going to look for the setting, should be around a few euros from what I've seen, so I could mount the cooler vertically.

Thanks for all the help.

You're welcome! Good to know you improved the situation. Mine goes up and down between 45-60 during light tasks (amazon, youtube videos and other general light tasks) and during gaming or benchmarking it may just peak past 70 (like 71, 72 thereabouts) with Auto OC on but I got a pretty good Be Quiet! cooler and my case fans are also very good (Noctua/Corsair ML).

I suggest you take a look at the Phanteks P400A case when you start looking for a new case. Good airflow and reasonably priced. I think maybe the P500 also have a meshed front panel but I'm not sure how much it may cost.

Spoiler

spacer.png

On 10/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, aDoomGuy said:

You're welcome! Good to know you improved the situation. Mine goes up and down between 45-60 during light tasks (amazon, youtube videos and other general light tasks) and during gaming or benchmarking it may just peak past 70 (like 71, 72 thereabouts) with Auto OC on but I got a pretty good Be Quiet! cooler and my case fans are also very good (Noctua/Corsair ML).

I suggest you take a look at the Phanteks P400A case when you start looking for a new case. Good airflow and reasonably priced. I think maybe the P500 also have a meshed front panel but I'm not sure how much it may cost.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

After using the computer for a while, I've noticed some patterns, not sure if it's due to ryzen, but the same problem keeps coming up.

Whilst I believe I've dealt with the overall issue, when I cold boot the temps are fine, when the PC is idle, the temps are fine.

But, here's the scenario that's been reoccurring every day: I boot up the PC, from the sound of the fan I can tell that the temps are normal, I start opening up programs like: steam, discord, chrome and etc, the temp just jumps to 70C-75C and stays there It only drops back to normal temps 40ish C when I just sit at desktop doing nothing or after about 10 minutes of being on just chrome (ex it jumped back down whilst writing this).

I do really want to get to the complete bottom of this, as you say; the cpu just sees it's being required to do something and just goes "WROOOOM" all in, but the thing is, it's as if it thinks it needs to be fully used but after 10 minutes it realizes: Ooh, actually? It's fine, let's go back to the 500ish clock speed and 40C that this task actually requires.

Once again, this is the only issue I am currently facing; whilst playing games like DayZ standalone/World of warcraft/the new CoD Beta, the temps sit comfortably at 60C-70C, it gets to 75ish now only if I game for a while and it's getting REALLY intense. 

Is this just a quirk of the CPU? Because Like I've mentioned before, I'm using the 212 LED, it's a 30 euro cooler, I'd really hate something to happen to my cpu just because I cheaped out on the cooler.

2 minutes ago, Stiflex said:

After using the computer for a while, I've noticed some patterns, not sure if it's due to ryzen, but the same problem keeps coming up.

Whilst I believe I've dealt with the overall issue, when I cold boot the temps are fine, when the PC is idle, the temps are fine.

But, here's the scenario that's been reoccurring every day: I boot up the PC, from the sound of the fan I can tell that the temps are normal, I start opening up programs like: steam, discord, chrome and etc, the temp just jumps to 70C-75C and stays there It only drops back to normal temps 40ish C when I just sit at desktop doing nothing or after about 10 minutes of being on just chrome (ex it jumped back down whilst writing this).

I do really want to get to the complete bottom of this, as you say; the cpu just sees it's being required to do something and just goes "WROOOOM" all in, but the thing is, it's as if it thinks it needs to be fully used but after 10 minutes it realizes: Ooh, actually? It's fine, let's go back to the 500ish clock speed and 40C that this task actually requires.

Once again, this is the only issue I am currently facing; whilst playing games like DayZ standalone/World of warcraft/the new CoD Beta, the temps sit comfortably at 60C-70C, it gets to 75ish now only if I game for a while and it's getting REALLY intense. 

Is this just a quirk of the CPU? Because Like I've mentioned before, I'm using the 212 LED, it's a 30 euro cooler, I'd really hate something to happen to my cpu just because I cheaped out on the cooler.

Well first let me say that 75° is a safe temp. Depending on ambient (room temp) my CPU can reach that too but regardless you are 20° from thermal throttle at 95°. If you dont mind the extra noise you can make a more aggressive fan curve or when you are doing light tasks you can change the power plan to power save and your machine will be cool but also reasonably fast. I used to do this with my 3600x when I still had the 212 Evo (I also had mounted a Corsair ML fan on it, those things are beasts).

If you want to try the power plan option of switching back and forth between them I'll link you to the app I used on the MS Store (it's free). It will add a button in your system tray that you click and select power plans from a pop-up menu. Easy as can be to switch.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH556L3

On 10/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Stiflex said:

So I've recently got a new processor, the 7 3700x. It's working fine, performs well, benchmarks good - but the temperatures are strange.

On completely idle, when the pc starts up, it's ranging from 40 to 55 C. Which in my mind is completely normal.

The problems start when I do literally anything, like, opening chrome and watching a youtube video, with nothing running in the background but that single video - the temps jump up to 70-79ish C. While playing games, it's the same.

I'm assuming gaving 70-79C while gaming is normal on a processor like this. But I really don't like such high temps while doing literally anything else, it should not be like this.

I've been using the stock cooler that comes with the cpu, I've since replaced it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED. No difference. Perhaps I need just better airflow or swap the sides of the fan.

I've also found a sort of "solution" to the problem, looked up a video, it says to change the power to 99% in windows power options. It did the trick, it dropped idle temps to around 55ish C. But I don't want to sacrifice performance, I've read that this will make it run on standard stock speeds, without any ability to boost, I primarily use my computer for gaming so this might be an issue. 

I've downloaded the ryzen master and without any changes, with stock everything (I have not touched any overclocking feature or anything like that, the cpu is basically used as is out of the box)

image.thumb.png.9713a7b25df3f46de0d2af5c19edf83d.png

The moment I change it to 99% power usage, it normalizes again. What is going on?

image.thumb.png.da49fc99b150aafdc4de992a993ccad2.png

I'm asking if theres any solution to this problem. If necessary I'm willing to purchase more fans/better case to resolve this, but as I've already added a good custom cooler on the cpu without any noticable changes, I want to know if it would actually help. Anyone have any similar experiences with the 3700x?

Full specs

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Corsair 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1397MHz 

PRIME B350-PLUS (AM4)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (MSI VENTUS)

Hitachi HP SSD EX920 1TB SSD

XFR single core boosts. Witness the higher voltage.

In Ryzen Master, click game mode. Increase the TDC, EDC and PPT. Click apply and it won't bother you anymore.

However you may see skewed boost clocks, but typically for the better.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

XFR single core boosts. Witness the higher voltage.

In Ryzen Master, click game mode. Increase the TDC, EDC and PPT. Click apply and it won't bother you anymore.

However you may see skewed boost clocks, but typically for the better.

I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm boosting and to how much, I've found the thing you asked - but what values do I assign? Is there a way of it automating it?

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well first let me say that 75° is a safe temp. Depending on ambient (room temp) my CPU can reach that too but regardless you are 20° from thermal throttle at 95°. If you dont mind the extra noise you can make a more aggressive fan curve or when you are doing light tasks you can change the power plan to power save and your machine will be cool but also reasonably fast. I used to do this with my 3600x when I still had the 212 Evo (I also had mounted a Corsair ML fan on it, those things are beasts).

If you want to try the power plan option of switching back and forth between them I'll link you to the app I used on the MS Store (it's free). It will add a button in your system tray that you click and select power plans from a pop-up menu. Easy as can be to switch.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH556L3

Thanks for the help mate! Also, I've ordered a phanteks p400a with the 3 rgb fans as it was a better option in my location price/delivery wise. 

Also, you've mentioned before that having a cooler mounted horizontally isn't good, I'm considering swapping motherboards soon (I'll keep in mind to see if a cooler can be properly mounted vertically) do you perhaps know if I should aim for a X570?

45 minutes ago, Stiflex said:

Thanks for the help mate! Also, I've ordered a phanteks p400a with the 3 rgb fans as it was a better option in my location price/delivery wise. 

Also, you've mentioned before that having a cooler mounted horizontally isn't good, I'm considering swapping motherboards soon (I'll keep in mind to see if a cooler can be properly mounted vertically) do you perhaps know if I should aim for a X570?

Well, I mounted it vertically on my FX machine and when reseating it I tried to mount it horizontally and it helped a little with the temps. At first I figured since warm air goes up maybe physics would help out but it was a little bit better to mount it horizontally. Don't remember exactly but a few degrees.

The Phanteks Eclipse P400 series are good cheap cases. I have the variant with the noise insulation and I think it's fantastic value. 

You get hard drive space... 2x 3,5", 2x2,5" and if you buy the extra bays you can have in total 6x 3,5" (room for 4 extra bays) so that's 8 drives you can fit in that little cheap chassis. Who can beat that? Included RGB and room for 360 radiator even and 6 chassis fans. The included fans for mine (non-RGB) was pretty good too but I replaced them because I wanted PWM control for all the fans.

X570 are good, I don't think they are so limited as B450 when it comes to PCIe lanes. So if X570 is in your budget go for it, alas however it wasn't in mine.. and I got this board for around 100 USD so that's fine. If I didn't get it on Black Friday sale then I would probably have gone for a X570 which was my original plan but I'd have to get a hold on a little more dineros.

You welcome buddy, happy to help out. :)