Well, RDR2 on an underpowered laptop...

TukangUsapEmenq

Well, after a year of thinking 'should I do it?'. I really waited to play this for like, all the time since it's released.

It ain't much, but it's honest work of my baby.

Spoiler

1333403325_Screenshot(63).thumb.png.ebb4d9f00a54e601a5338f03005b2aed.png

1280x720, the lowest ever settings I can do to it, with some additional little grass LOD tweaks from LowSpecGamer.

940MX OCed with +135 MHz core clock, and +495 MHz memory clock. Didn't add that much, around 3-5 fps with increase of temps of 3-5 degrees (so it's 1:1 benefit, technically). But hey, it's there anyway, in some cases I can reach 30fps or more, which actually still comfortable to play. Temps are actually stable at 69-72 degrees.

I put the power plant to "Better perfomance" instead of "Best perfomance" so my i5-7200U won't turbo-boost constantly at 3.1GHz (it doesn't use CPU that much anyway), reducing albeit some of the temps by 2-3 degrees. Temps are kind of fluctuating from 78 even touching some at 89 degrees. Probably because of how the heatsink designed, the CPU had to take the GPU temps either. Poor one.

Both CPU and GPU thermal pastes are recently changed (again, it's the third time for a month) since the CPU temps before are just way too inconsistent before (even on the fan ramping up to max). Turns out the paste are not so-enough on the CPU, and it didn't spread nicely. MX4, fyi.

Spoiler

IMG_20201026_192451.thumb.jpg.11da13580f1e658e66d6efd56839c600.jpg

That cooler fan (it's an AC powered fan) actually helps dropping both the CPU and GPU temps to 2-3 degrees, and keeping my wrist to cooking up. There's an additional Deepcool N17 (I don't think it's useful somehow) below the laptop.

And, yes. I played it out of the external drive (it's having the exact same speed as SATA drive anyway) since I got only 120GB of internal storage yet (and I don't want to put it inside. I killed 3 of these already.)

And I won't play it occasionally here. It would kill another battery (again) if I do so.

Yet. After all that, just wondering. How can I make the temps kind of cooler somehow? I won't expect a huge drop as it would be not possible anyway, but it's nice if there's some another temp drop even only of the slightest. Well, not putting on troubleshooting subtopic as I'm just wondering and I thought this is enough anyway.

And so just wondering if I can actually using external GPU indeed.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Well, your options are limited when it comes to improving laptop thermals. Its either using better thermal paste or straight up cutting up your laptop (which I dont suggest). If you have a PCIE 1X slot, you might be able to use an eGPU but its something thats not worth it on a laptop like yours. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Well, your options are limited when it comes to improving laptop thermals. Its either using better thermal paste or straight up cutting up your laptop (which I dont suggest). If you have a PCIE 1X slot, you might be able to use an eGPU but its something thats not worth it on a laptop like yours. 

Yeah, and I'm kind of regret of getting a laptop instead of PC somehow. But I needed it more for college unfortunately.

Got a thought to just copy the game to my brother's PC, pull some Cat 5e cable, and just stream it out of it lol

Already using MX4 thermal paste, which is just pasted (again, after twice of no-good temp results) hours ago.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

16 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Yeah, and I'm kind of regret of getting a laptop instead of PC somehow.

Well I mean, laptops are PC's...

Anyhow, those temps are just fine and expected from a laptop, and apart from all the things you've already done there is nothing you can really do to get them lower in a manner that would make any sense.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, dhannemon13 said:

Yeah, and I'm kind of regret of getting a laptop instead of PC somehow. But I needed it more for college unfortunately.

Got a thought to just copy the game to my brother's PC, pull some Cat 5e cable, and just stream it out of it lol

Already using MX4 thermal paste, which is just pasted (again, after twice of no-good temp results) hours ago.

Hey we have the same gpu *high fives*

As for your temp problems assuming the laptop isn't really dusty or something 

IMG_20201011_213431.thumb.jpg.9f893c2fee400ea37b91205165945e86.jpg

Works like a charm, good for 5-10C easily! 

And protip do not plug it into your laptop ever as it may damage it or just draws too much power either way, use a USB cable and a phone charger to power it.

And another tip: if you want you can try to lower the resolution even more I'm sure you could get around 30fps or so out of the thing... 

(press alt+enter for full screen goodness) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Here's some stuff the laptop can do with the right settings and cooling 

IMG_20201028_035228.thumb.jpg.ae1479ce43205a9479476db57bd9b32b.jpg

239FPS (kinda cheating cause really old racing game but hey) 

IMG_20201028_035519.thumb.jpg.351050f4d237fd4cb07995673ffa471a.jpg

Monster Hunter World running "acceptably" without cooler because the hotel had an AC! 

IMG_20201028_035642.thumb.jpg.8c8144e1075ebd86825b96f38b63d0f9.jpg

Monster Hunter World (sub HD) 

Works and looks good enough 👍 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder