Experiencing Lag in almost every game.

19DUKE90

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get an answer to my problems. I have been experiencing this for quite a while now but can't find the cause.

So my problem is as follows;

During gameplay, in both older games and newer games. My system becomes slow, bodgy and Lags away like it's 1999. In-game you'll see the view jump around and lag away. The view will also appear to go in slow motion sometimes. This happens in battlefield 4 , battlefield 1, battlefield v, but also in games like Doom eternal and in silence.

I tried using a different mouse, as it occurs when moving the mouse around. But no resolve. I tried another graphics card. But no resolve. I reinstalled Windows. I reinstalled all drivers. Updated the BIOS and firmware. But no resolve.

When monitoring my system's performance using task manager, i see the GPU usage constantly at 100%. My CPU is jumping around between 70 and 100 % and my RAM is stable around 50-60%. 

My system does meet all recommended specs.

My system specs are;

- coolermaster mastercase maker 5t

- ASUS TUF B450 gaming plus motherboard.

- AMD Ryzen 2700x

- 16 GB corsair vengeance 3200mhz ram.

- Gigabyte AMD RX 5700 XT rev 1.0 with updated firmware.

- 850 watts thermaltake power supply.

- Toshiba m 2 pci-e 512 gb SSD 

- Seagate 2 TB 7200rpm hdd.

- Razer deathstalker keyboard.

- Corsair Glave RGB nouse. 

- 2* AOC 24" curved monitors at 144hz

Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with my computer as I can't find the cause of the problem I'm having.

how are Temperatures? The experience you're describing is similar to what happens during Thermal Throttling of the CPU and/or GPU. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

how are Temperatures? The experience you're describing is similar to what happens during Thermal Throttling of the CPU and/or GPU. 

Temps of my GPU are stable at 65 degrees celsius/ 149 fahrenheit 

And cpu doesn't touch 60 degrees celsius/ 140 degrees fahrenheit.

Its possible you're experiencing a bottleneck in PCIe bandwidth.

Trying downloading GPUz, run it, look for the section that says Bus Interface and then click the ? next to it. This will run a render test in a small window.

Now go back to GPUz and make sure the Bus Interface section says PCIe 3.0 x16 @ PCIe 3.0 x16.

Its important to run the render test first because its normal for the GPU to revert back to x1 or x4 mode while under no load.

If possible run the render test, take a screenshot of GPUz and post it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Its possible you're experiencing a bottleneck in PCIe bandwidth.

Trying downloading GPUz, run it, look for the section that says Bus Interface and then click the ? next to it. This will run a render test in a small window.

Now go back to GPUz and make sure the Bus Interface section says PCIe 3.0 x16 @ PCIe 3.0 x16.

Its important to run the render test first because its normal for the GPU to revert back to x1 or x4 mode while under no load.

If possible run the render test, take a screenshot of GPUz and post it.

Right, so i did that. I added the screenshot u asked for.

render test.gif

20 minutes ago, 19DUKE90 said:

Right, so i did that. I added the screenshot u asked for.

Well that all seems normal. What resolution are you running at?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Well that all seems normal. What resolution are you running at?

1920x1080@144hz always by standard. rendering resolution is always 100%

this is during a basic game of Battlefield 4. so i was slightly off when i was asked for my temps.

temp sensors 1.gif

Anything running in the background? You can check task manager to see what's running when you experience lag.

20 hours ago, 19DUKE90 said:

AMD Ryzen 2700x

Someone more experienced than me please correct me here, but for games that don't fully utilize all the cores of this chip, could the single core performance be the bottleneck?

7 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

Anything running in the background? You can check task manager to see what's running when you experience lag.

Well.... there's plenty of apps running. All Windows10 default and discord. But even with discord closed and killed the issues occur.

3 hours ago, drurya96 said:

Someone more experienced than me please correct me here, but for games that don't fully utilize all the cores of this chip, could the single core performance be the bottleneck?

So you mean, my CPU is bottlenecking itself by filling one core to the max? 

Is there a setting to remove this from happening?

Btw, i apologise for the delay in my responses. Time here in the Netherlands is way different than US time .

6 hours ago, 19DUKE90 said:

So you mean, my CPU is bottlenecking itself by filling one core to the max? 

Is there a setting to remove this from happening?

Some games, especially older games, are designed to only run on a single core or two cores. IIRC the 2700x has 8 cores, but I'm not sure about its single core clock speed. So if a game is very CPU demanding but is a single core game, your other seven cores only serve to ensure background tasks (browsers, discord, etc.) don't interfere with the game since they can run on the cores that aren't running the game. So if your single core clock speed is too slow for the whatever games you're playing (assuming they are single or double core games), then there isn't really much you can do, other than potentially overclocking.

From my own experience with the same GPU (I'm on it right now), I had to buy a new CPU because most of my games were heavily bottlenecked by the CPU. Now, my old CPU was much slower than the 2700x though, I was trying to game on a Ryzen 5 2400G.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, 19DUKE90 said:

I tried another graphics card

Which card was it? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Which card was it? 

I used an RX480 8GB card for testing.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, 19DUKE90 said:

Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with my computer as I can't find the cause of the problem I'm having.

Ok, this could have many reasons, it's hard to say... 

What is apparent to me is often systems with such issues have 'm2 SSD's' for whatever reason (it's not really beneficial for gaming but I regress) 

So what I would recommend is a fresh install of windows, on the Seagate, or a Samsung Evo 2.5 drive or similar (so high quality ssd) and also disconnect any other drives including the m2 completely before installing windows. 

Then make sure everything is up to date (chipset, bios, drivers) but also check if you have any AMD storage drivers installed as these regularly cause issues, and make sure you have only the generic Microsoft storage driver installed anyway. 

I think one of these things or a combination thereof could fix your issues, hopefully. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ok, this could have many reasons, it's hard to say... 

What is apparent to me is often systems with such issues have 'm2 SSD's' for whatever reason (it's not really beneficial for gaming but I regress) 

So what I would recommend is a fresh install of windows, on the Seagate, or a Samsung Evo 2.5 drive or similar (so high quality ssd) and also disconnect any other drives including the m2 completely before installing windows. 

Then make sure everything is up to date (chipset, bios, drivers) but also check if you have any AMD storage drivers installed as these regularly cause issues, and make sure you have only the generic Microsoft storage driver installed anyway. 

I think one of these things or a combination thereof could fix your issues, hopefully. 

but, how is an M.2 drive the issue? 

these drives run at least twice the speed of regular ssd's. and the benefit to gaming with these drives is that load times actually don't excist anymore.