SSD + HDD or SSD

_lucalink

I am looking at either getting a cheap 240gb Sara SSD as a boot drive and then a 2tb HDD for storing games or a 1tb SATA SSD for everything. Both options would cost me around £75. I am in the UK so that includes 20% tax( saying that as I have previously had people confused that something was so much more than where they lived).

Just now, _lucalink said:

I am looking at either getting a cheap 240gb Sara SSD as a boot drive and then a 2tb HDD for storing games or a 1tb SATA SSD for everything. Both options would cost me around £75. I am in the UK so that includes 20% tax( saying that as I have previously had people confused that something was so much more than where they lived).

Personally, I put my programs on the SSD, and the data on HDD (as it can be recovered if something happens) and then have a solid backup plan for my data.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

If you don't think you'll ever use more than 1TB of storage, I'd personally go with the second option. I went with a 120GB SSD as my boot drive, and a 2TB HDD for storage, and it's just a pain having to specify where to save everything all the time, especially when I'm likely never going to come close to using all 2TB of storage. If 1TB is enough for you, get the SSD and enjoy the faster load times everywhere and the lack of annoyance with having to specify which drive to save things on.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

I wanna add of what others above me said.

If you do like to hoard a lot of data (especially media, like movies or else), go for the SSD+HDD as you don't wanna waste your precious SSD space and lifetime because of storing a lot of huge data.

Well, in the case you don't store too much, one SSD is enough. I personally used a 1 TB HDD (and a 120GB SSD as a boot, and programs) and it's kind of (not-so) enough for everything for me (and so I have to get another external 1 TB for movies and others unnecessary, rarely-to-be accessed files).

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

From personal experience I'd 100% recommend having 2 different devices. I found that when playing games with just a single 1TB M.2 SSD for everything I'd run into issues where maps wouldn't load, especially in open-world racing games. 

If you set up Steam to install games to your "D:" drive it'll default to installing there and I've never found it to be an issue when I have 2 storage devices. 

Just now, MrCJLambert said:

From personal experience I'd 100% recommend having 2 different devices. I found that when playing games with just a single 1TB M.2 SSD for everything I'd run into issues where maps wouldn't load, especially in open-world racing games. 

If you set up Steam to install games to your "D:" drive it'll default to installing there and I've never found it to be an issue when I have 2 storage devices. 

Didn't you partition the SSD?

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

Didn't you partition the SSD?

I did, I had 2/3 partitions for different files. But this didn't help. Could've just been that I went cheap on the SSD but I'd still recommend having an SSD and HDD over 1 big SSD.

1 minute ago, MrCJLambert said:

Could've just been that I went cheap on the SSD

Probably because of it. And, my assumption is DRAM-less SSD, or something with not enough random read speed can be slow enough if all of the things runs of it somehow. I dunno, but it might be.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

I'll go with 240+2TB.

It's enough, only install games in HDD never in SSD.

Documents and especially pictures in HDD.

Only windows and programs in SSD, everything else in HDD.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

24 minutes ago, MrCJLambert said:

24 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Just realised I forgot to mention that generally the only files I store are games and programs as most photos are on my phone or an external hdd

1 minute ago, _lucalink said:

Just realised I forgot to mention that generally the only files I store are games and programs as most photos are on my phone or an external hdd

One SSD would be suffice then.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Only install games in HDD never in SSD.

This is kind of what I intended to do as I'd get a new SSD tbh. Why is that somehow?

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

1 minute ago, _lucalink said:

Still, 2.25 TB is larger than 1TB.

I will go with higher capacity than speed.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

This is kind of what I intended to do as I'd get a new SSD tbh. Why is that somehow?

Games would need 50gb or more per title. Including updates would need 100+ gb. So a large HDD is reasonable.

Using SSD for game, the loading is only slightly faster , not as fast as you expect.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Games would need 50gb or more per title. Including updates would need 100+ gb. So a large HDD is reasonable.

Using SSD for game, the loading is only slightly faster , not as fast as you expect.

Ah, I initially thought it would be a reliability problem lol

I don't play the recent games (as my laptop wouldn't play those games comfortably either) that ought to eat lots of the space anyway. So I thought 512GB would be sufficient.

Either, I hate to get another bad sectors on the next few years because I used HDDs. Like, enough.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

4 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Either, I hate to get another bad sectors on the next few years because I used HDDs. Like, enough.

SSD have bad sectors too. My old ssd have 1-2 bad sectors.

Solid state bad sectors can be dead or weak memory cells.

Do a repair scan and windows will automatically skip that dead cell in the future.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

SSD have bad sectors too. My old ssd have 1-2 bad sectors.

Solid state bad sectors can be dead or weak memory cells.

Do a repair scan and windows will automatically skip that dead cell in the future.

Well, at least they're (probably) more reliable on mobile-use case as I kind of scared of spinning disk inside a laptop somehow..

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio