Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

making an minecraft server with raspberry pi

can i make a simple minecraft server to play with some friends using an raspberry pi 2 model b

yes you can but it cant handle many players maybe around 5

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

Depends on how many "some" friends is. If you have one lying around just go for it and see if the performance is where you want it I'd say.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

yes you can but it cant handle many players maybe around 5

No way you'll handle 5 players on a Pi 2... my friend did it with Spigot (already a pretty well optimised piece of server software) on a Pi 4 (much faster than a Pi 2) and it was lagging out with 4 players

I HATE DAVINCI RESOLVE

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

No way you'll handle 5 players on a Pi 2... my friend did it with Spigot (already a pretty well optimised piece of server software) on a Pi 4 (much faster than a Pi 2) and it was lagging out with 4 players

i played minecraft iin an raspberry pi 2 for around 2 months with aroud 10-15 fps on minimum graphics possible

so why i cant setup a server for 3-4 friends

4 minutes ago, AGENT_PRIME_YT said:

i played minecraft iin an raspberry pi 2 for around 2 months with aroud 10-15 fps on minimum graphics possible

so why i cant setup a server for 3-4 friends

Well, do you want all your players to have 3fps on minimum graphics?

Not that any of this is relevant at all, because the server workload is rather different to the client workload

I HATE DAVINCI RESOLVE

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Would agree with @pythonmegapixel as the Pi would handle all of that data from all of the devices. In a nutshell, you'd flood that Pi.

Probably an old PC would be better suited, tho.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers:

Acer Aspire E5-475G

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz (Turbo 3.1 GHz) || NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

4GB Micron DDR4 + 4GB Team Group DDR4 PC19200

120 GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD + 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3N SATA SSD

Windows 10 Single Language x64

Some old computer laying around as my HTPC

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz || (fake lol) NVIDIA GeForce GT730 2GB DDR3

Some random old motherboard. Works fine tho.

512 MB + 512 MB random DDR memory

40GB IDE HDD + 1 TB old laptop SATA HDD, got bad sector unfortunately

Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Xfce x64

Some old TCL CRT TV laying around + RCA to HDMI converter

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage 

64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage

MIUI 11 Global

Aukey Turbo Charger PA-U28 QC2.0 + Aukey CB-CD4 PVC Type-C Cable

Audio

Some random home-theater speakers I took freely from someplace and big-ass bass with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho.

dbE DJ100 Headphone

I mean, what's the point of asking this question you know. If you have a Pi, you might as well set it up and try it, and if it's performance is not satisfactory you could do things like reducing the render distance and other good stuff.

So just trying it out and asking how to improve the performance on a low spec machine would've been a better question tbh.

4 hours ago, AGENT_PRIME_YT said:

can i make a simple minecraft server to play with some friends using an raspberry pi 2 model b

Simply, yes. Would it be playable? it's for you to try and figure out.

Don't use vanilla and use something more optimised (Paper?), and also change the server.properties to be a bit more practical.

Paper server can probably handle two, *maybe* three players.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Paper server can probably handle two, *maybe* three players.

i am satisfied with playing 2 or 3 players

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can do it and test if you can play or not, I think it would not be playable.

But, you need to know:

1. Nat routing if you are using home internet to address the server. (commonly named, how to open ports)
  2. Some basics for linux command line usage.

Then I recommend to install a lightweight linux for Pi 2... Maybe arch linux or puppy (raspup), I never used a Pi 2. I use ubuntu mate on most of Pi 3 or 4, they say Mate is not recommended for Pi 2.

Considering a Vanilla server: (Not tested for Pi 2, but similar steps should be followed)

1. Install java open-jdk 8 and open-jre 8 ARM versions (some times they recommend 7 for minecraft server, but 8 has better performance on my tests).
  2. I use forge server even if vanilla or modded server. So download forge 1.16.3 installer from official website (recommended 1.16.3 - 34.1.0).
  3. Create a folder for your minecraft server and place the forge-1.16.3-34.1.0-installer.jar inside that folder.
  4. Execute this command: java -jar forge-1.15.2-31.2.0-installer.jar --installServer
  5. Wait til finish, you have to configure server.properties (make sure you have the IP configured, LAN IP if home internet, make static ip instead dynamic), and accept EULA (eula.txt file)
  6. To run the server just run this command: java -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar forge-1.16.3-34.1.0.jar nogui

Of course you can tweak a bit more, but this is a initial step to make sure if the server starts or not.