Not getting the right performance (3080)

coneil3822

Hello. I have a 3080 FE paired with a 3800x at 1440p, I have watched gaming benchmarks on YouTube of people using the same combo and in every game they have tested that I have Im getting lower fps. For example, when they run GTA 5 they are getting 130-140fps where as I'm getting 80-110fps. In Hitman 2 they are getting 130-200+fps and I'm only getting 100fps. also my CPU usage seems to be higher than theirs. This is also similar for Call of Duty. My 3080 is preforming worse than a 2080ti. This is not what I was expecting. I've tried doing a fresh install of windows and reinstalling all drivers, unplugging the GPU and plugging it back in, checking the power cables are connected correctly. Please any help would be highly appreciated, I don't know what to do. Could this be a faulty card? 

12 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

Hello. I have a 3080 FE paired with a 3800x at 1440p, I have watched gaming benchmarks on YouTube of people using the same combo and in every game they have tested that I have Im getting lower fps. For example, when they run GTA 5 they are getting 130-140fps where as I'm getting 80-110fps. In Hitman 2 they are getting 130-200+fps and I'm only getting 100fps. also my CPU usage seems to be higher than theirs. This is also similar for Call of Duty. My 3080 is preforming worse than a 2080ti. This is not what I was expecting. I've tried doing a fresh install of windows and reinstalling all drivers, unplugging the GPU and plugging it back in, checking the power cables are connected correctly. Please any help would be highly appreciated, I don't know what to do. Could this be a faulty card? 

Doesn't sound like it, what are your system specs, it's possible they're using better coolers with faster memory, and maybe they're 3080's are boosting to higher frequencies. 

Yours faithfully

have they done any overclocking or fine tuning in the bios?

have you tried to DDU or install latest drivers?

what are your cpu and gpu temps?

what power plan are you running?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

10 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

have they done any overclocking or fine tuning in the bios?

have you tried to DDU or install latest drivers?

what are your cpu and gpu temps?

what power plan are you running?

Im not sure. Ive tried a DDU and installed latest bios yes. Cpu temps are around 60 degrees in game and 75 in cinebench. My GPU temps dont go higher than 75 in game. Running Ryzen balanced powerplay.

13 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Doesn't sound like it, what are your system specs, it's possible they're using better coolers with faster memory, and maybe they're 3080's are boosting to higher frequencies. 

3800x

3080 FE

32gb 3200mhz ram

500gb nvme ssd.

1 minute ago, coneil3822 said:

3800x

3080 FE

32gb 3200mhz ram

500gb nvme ssd.

And the motherboard, CPU cooler, clocks?

Yours faithfully

GTA5 won't use all cores, maybe 4cores (1 render thread primary in use) and windows balances it out......it's normal to see 100-140fps at the Highest end PC with typical averages a little lower,.. really depends on a LOT of variables within your system, how its setup, whats running behind the scenes...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

And the motherboard, CPU cooler, clocks?

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi, Kraken x73, gpu and cpu stock clocks

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

GTA5 won't use all cores, maybe 4cores (1 render thread primary in use) and windows balances it out......it's normal to see 100-140fps at the Highest end PC with typical averages a little lower,.. really depends on a LOT of variables within your system, how its setup, whats running behind the scenes...

But there is big fps differences. Im getting performance worse that a 2080ti in GTA 5

3 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

But there is big fps differences. Im getting performance worse that a 2080ti in GTA 5

Which is NORMAL for GTAV, it's not great software and has core/thread engine issues getting the most from your hardware without forcing a GPU bound scenario. it's CPU limited from the Get-GO on All PCs that play it, Better Systems fare better results, but all not4K testing on GTAV is CPU limited for the most part.

Differing map locations also perform differently... in most games tested the tester might use a specific spot in game another youtuber doesn't.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

7 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Which is NORMAL for GTAV, it's not great software and has core/thread engine issues getting the most from your hardware without forcing a GPU bound scenario. it's CPU limited from the Get-GO on All PCs that play it, Better Systems fare better results, but all not4K testing on GTAV is CPU limited for the most part.

Differing map locations also perform differently... in most games tested the tester might use a specific spot in game another youtuber doesn't.

There is a ingame benchmark that im comparing it with 

My guess is that your temps are low. Try running the game benchmarks again with your side panel off and see what happens. If it improves considerably, it's time for you to change cases.