Which services should I disable?

torbenscharling

Hey guys and girls. I just ran through the Black Viper windows 10 pro services disable hack thingy, and have these left. Which ones should I safely disable? I wanna get rid of as much redundant/un-needed stuff as possible, while still being able to use those apps, if and when I choose to open them..

Any help much appreciated :)

1.PNG

2.PNG

If you're not runnig a PC from pre- or late 2000s then disabling services does not give any advantage.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, torbenscharling said:

redundant/un-needed stuff as possible

5 minutes ago, torbenscharling said:

windows 10

Services aren't the issue, all the spyware built in to Win10 is....

There are ways to kill that shit off, but you'll need either some 3rd party software, or a lot of patience.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Well, I just want as little to interfeer as possible when doing low latency live audio ! It's extremely important for me to have a lenient system, though it's modern hardware, any glitch or hicckup will be noticable in the stream !

Thanks for any info. I use Simplewall and sometimes run ccleaner...I had used this neat app OOSU10 but I think I checked off too much cause it caused some problems, but maybe I should try that one again, it disabled a lot of stuff :)

1 minute ago, torbenscharling said:

OOSU10 but I think I checked off too much cause it caused some problems,

It can do that, although it's not it's fault, some functionality of the OS can stop working properly when banned from sending your data to MS. Although I had little to no issues.

Black Viper? Oh man that takes me back. As others have said you don't need to disable services anymore.

If you are paranoid about MS spying there are various guides and apps on dealing with that. But this can break things too.

Avoid CCleaner and similar programs.

Eh, I've disabled 

Waasmedic 

Windows update orchestrator 

Some weird little exe which's name I forgot that's used to send a single notification about windows not being up to date 

Windows updates. 

*permanently* as I understand it windows can't do shit with an inoperable "update orchestrator" and 'waasmedic' service... 

If I click on update option it doesn't even open a window anymore... This seems like a net positive to me, pc runs a lot more smoothly since then, windows defender actually keeps getting updated (which was important to me) 

Yes, idk about the long term implications, and I don't plan to stay on this win version forever (but a few years if all goes well for sure) that's why I made backups... Definitely not recommend any of that if you don't have backups or use your pc for anything but gaming (which I do not, it's just a glorified console with mod support, I have no interest in word, excel, and 'online banking') 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Services aren't the issue, all the spyware built in to Win10 is....

That spyware is run through 'services' tho, and indeed turning them off does usually not a lot because windows will just turn them on again, you need to prevent that 'service' from running too. 

SU10 would be great if it did that, but it doesn't in my experience a lot of things get randomly turned back on by windows, and not just after updates. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That spyware is run through 'services' tho, and indeed turning them off does usually not a lot because windows will just turn them on again, you need to prevent that 'service' from running too. 

SU10 would be great if it did that, but it doesn't in my experience a lot of things get randomly turned back on by windows, and not just after updates. 

If you want a Win10 that has all that shit ripped out by default then you need to look into Win10 Enterprise LTSC.I have it on a spare system and it comes with:

No telemetry

No Store

No live tiles

No spyware (ie Cortana)

Just the basic OS as it should have been from the beginning.

I've run it through wireshark, and it does not phone home. It's communicated with my local traffic (printer, NAS, router) and that's it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 10/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, Radium_Angel said:

If you want a Win10 that has all that shit ripped out by default then you need to look into Win10 Enterprise LTSC.I have it on a spare system and it comes with:

No telemetry

No Store

No live tiles

No spyware (ie Cortana)

Just the basic OS as it should have been from the beginning.

I've run it through wireshark, and it does not phone home. It's communicated with my local traffic (printer, NAS, router) and that's it.

I'm too stupid (or poor) to get it so I made my own version ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm too stupid (or poor) to get it so I made my own version ;)

All good, MS makes it available for free to download and try out for 90 days (IIRC) complete with a keycode, so all features are unlocked an available to use.

You could always look here on some Suggestions on what to disable and what Services do what
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Otherwise, stuff like Bluethooth and XBOX can be disabled if you dont use it

Also heres a list of what i have disabled if you also need some guidance
https://imgur.com/a/aMlZcAT

Mine is about 100-95 Processes on Startup and idles with Chrome (Brave), Discord and League on about 154 Processes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some rando girl that like programming and graphics design

i also read a lot of books and like anime
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

So a small Edit to 2021.

I now have gotten to a point of about 50 Services that start and about 10, so 60 Proccesses, that i need, aka Afterburner, Graphic Tablet Driver, RTX Voice and RivaTuner and TaskbarX.
image.thumb.png.94500e42dee3ec7b240851ea91e7f8fc.png

Heres my Services List if your Interested
image.png.598271b210a4523b9ad84a4e7b85f76e.png

image.png.8e5acca53bb31f1659a731c3f8e15083.png

If anyone has some Ideas on which stuff i can disable to not get StackOverflows on Settings just tell me, im interested in optimizing this more.
And anyone that wants to copy this and reads this in 2021, you can do so since im running 20H2/21H1 Windows 10, but make a Backup before. 

~ Yukii

Some rando girl that like programming and graphics design

i also read a lot of books and like anime