Samsung 20nm 4Gb DDR3 RAM enters mass production

PillowSmoke

samsung-ddr3-820x420.jpg

Samsung has announced that it has entered mass production on advanced DDR3 RAM that will be used in a number of computer applications. The new DDR3 RAM uses Samsung's new 20nm process technology. The new RAM uses currently available immersion ArF lithography technology.

Samsung points out that building DRAM on smaller process technology is much more difficult than building NAND Flash memory on a smaller process. Whereas the NAND flash memory only needs a transistor in each cell, the DRAM needs a transistor and capacitor linked to each other.

To get DRAM using 20nm process tech into production, Samsung refined its design and manufacturing tech while using a modified double patterning and atomic layer disposition. That modified double pattering tech also establishes the core tech needed for next generation 10nm class DRAM production.

Samsung is producing DRAM using the 20nm process technology in 4Gb modules. The modules using this technology will reduce energy consumption by 25% compared to equivalent modules using 25nm process technology.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

hey the more RAM chips we can fit on a single DIMM is always better B)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh boy...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Now make it DDR4 o3o

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Great that they are back to production as their ram that they produced before was pretty cheap and low profile.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Great that they are back to production as their ram that they produced before was pretty cheap and low profile.

Remember these Samsung DDR3 Ram? :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146846&SID=jv61ulf518gg

$40 for 8gb ram that can overclock to 2400mhz. Those were the days *tear*.

Hopefully Samsung undercuts Gskill and pumps them high quality ram sticks like they did last time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146846&SID=jv61ulf518gg

Hopefully Samsung undercuts Gskill and pumps them high quality ram sticks like they did last time.

Yea I was talking about these. I wanted to get them but didn't want my products to get shipped as having a DOA will mean that I would have to send it back and they weren't available locally. Got the Kingston HyperX Blu Black 8GB instead. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I own this kit, and I'm PISSED I never picked up a second kit before it was discontinued. Best DDR3 Ram out there, period. Got it for $38 at Microcenter :P

That low-profile sexiness!!! If they start producing this again, I will be one happy camper!

IMAG0526+-+Copy.jpg

Food for thought, when these do pop on Ebay, they are often going for $100+ for a 2x4gb kit, sometimes topping $200.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

what does this all mean? we'll have more dram on GPUs?

Not more, but better energy efficiency and less heat output. Also, these aren't aimed at GPU's (yet?) since it's single output DRAM and not VRAM.

It's interesting because of the 20nm fabrication jump and not so much in that it's DDR3. Basically means that DDR4 (which is using 30nm process) will soon be manufactured in 20nm once it becomes the standard. So.. 16Gb DDR4 modules @ 2133mhz+ under 1.2v? Woo hoo!

Not more, but better energy efficiency and less heat output. Also, these aren't aimed at GPU's (yet?) since it's single output DRAM and not VRAM.

It's interesting because of the 20nm fabrication jump and not so much in that it's DDR3. Basically means that DDR4 (which is using 30nm process) will soon be manufactured in 20nm once it becomes the standard. So.. 16Gb DDR4 modules @ 2133mhz+ under 1.2v? Woo hoo!

and can u predict a price range?

and can u predict a price range?

Samsung can price it however they like, but their last 8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram that overclocked to 2400mhz+ were selling for 35-40$ because they wanted to undercut Gskill. So if they take the same approach, probably couple dollars under whatever RAM is selling for then.