Unstable cpu temps

Ozzieh_man

Hi, I just built my new PC with the 3600 and the arctic freezer 34 duo as a cooler. As i was gaming i noticed my cpu temps were a bit unstable. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

image.png.092afd63a00e38005fbe79dbfbf85d2d.pngSquiggly line is the cpu temp

Guessing this is happening because the fans are ramping up and back down. Pretty sure you can fix it with some fan tuning.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

29 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

Guessing this is happening because the fans are ramping up and back down. Pretty sure you can fix it with some fan tuning.

I have tried tons of fan curves now and it won't solve it. Is it bad for the CPU? If not, i'll just deal with it

Don't think its bad for the CPU, since its still under 100. Pretty sure it would be fine, since the fluctuation isn't that bad, seems to be within 1-2 degrees.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Hi, I am using the Acrtic freezer 34 DUO Esports cooler. I noticed that it has a TINY bit of sag. It's barely even noticable. Tbh it's hard to say for sure if it even is sagging at all. The cooling is great, nothing wrong with it!

cools a 3600 at a stable 72 degrees C in a CPU-Z stress test.  Should I be worried?

So long as the base of the cooler is making proper contact to the IHS, then you're good. Just run a benchmark and check your temps after a while, if there's a weird pattern or it's abnormally high, then I'd get concerned.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Tbh I cant even notice the sagging, if its running fine it should be a-ok, after all you even ran a stress test

I hate to sound obvious but is it screwed in all the way?

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

Just now, Jumballi said:

So long as the base of the cooler is making proper contact to the IHS, then you're good. Just run a benchmark and check your temps after a while, if there's a weird pattern or it's abnormally high, then I'd get concerned.

on idle i get these weird consistant spikes(and in games). In a stress test it just tops out on 72 degrees steady.

image.png.e26f6c7c8496077331b1cc98744ab00f.png

2 minutes ago, Ozzieh_man said:

on idle i get these weird consistant spikes(and in games). In a stress test it just tops out on 72 degrees steady.

image.png.e26f6c7c8496077331b1cc98744ab00f.png

Can you expand that graph and show the time. The screenshot as you sent it is useless.
Edit: also send a screenshot of your fan curve.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

Can you expand that graph and show the time. The screenshot as you sent it is useless.
Edit: also send a screenshot of your fan curve.

there is no timeline on the graph sorry. I just set the fan curve to default as I tried some other fan curves but they didnt work.

😅OMG, i forgot i was downloading a game lol. When not downloading a game it still does this, just not as harsh and frequent

Just now, Ozzieh_man said:

there is no timeline on the graph sorry. I just set the fan curve to default as I tried some other fan curves but they didnt work.

Well with the information you've sent, I can't make any conclusive interpretations.

Judging by the temps though, it's more than likely your fan curve causing those spikes.

Installing the latest chipset drivers and acitvating AMD Ryzen balanced powerplan resolved the issue :) 

Just now, Ozzieh_man said:

Installing the latest chipset drivers and acitvating AMD Ryzen balanced powerplan resolved the issue :) 

still spikes a bit but not nearly as much

6 hours ago, Ozzieh_man said:

still spikes a bit but not nearly as much

Yeah, the spikes are due to the nature of our Ryzens. It is so eager to boost that when it is introduced to load it will boost up even when it is not necessary. Chipset updates as you have noticed addresses this. It may also help to update BIOS if spikes are bad and it is outdated. The spikes are of no concern however if the temp is slightly above 70 at load.

No, nothing's wrong with your CPU. This is normal. Your CPU isn't unstable unless things are crashing. Your temps look good, m8, in the mid 50s under load. Gaming isn't a consistent load, it goes up and down, and as will your temps. Enjoy your nifty CPU!

My arctic freezer 34 has a tiny bit of sag and the mobo tends to very slightly move when wiggling the cooler(mostly above the cpu socket as there is a large gap from there to the nearest mobo screw). I read online that this could be due to a overtightened cooler... I don't think i overtightened it, I never heard any pops or cracks(not that i know of). PC works great, just wondering if i should be concerned about anything. Temps seem to be normal, a bit squiggly while gaming though.

Hopefully I'm just paranoid and everything is OK 😅

That's just motherboard flex, I wouldn't recommend wiggling the cooler on purpose as you can crack traces(Internal circuit board circuits) 

Overtightening often shows up as no post (cpu pins are bending away from the contacts), instability (added pressure bending internal circuits on the motherboard), or very high temps on individual cores (cooler overtight on one screw causing less surface contact on parts) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

*** Threads merged ***

There were three threads about same thing. Please keep it at one thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv