My build [AUS]

kzte

Okay, so it's time for me to build my new PC...

Budget of about $1300 AUD, as that'll get me exactly what I need.

I'm going to be using it for gaming, university work (comp. sci), a bit of video editing and general everyday tasks...

Thoughts?

UPDATED LINK: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=279423&action=wish_lists

Mid-2013 11" MacBook Air — Intel Core i5 @ 1.3GHz 8GB RAM.

BitFenix Prodigy ITX — Intel Core i5 4570 — MSI H87I — 8GB RAM — Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X — Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB — XFX TS650.

Looking at the following parts - https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=278397&action=wish_lists.

Ignore the postage cost.

I'm going to be using it for gaming, university work (comp. sci), a bit of video editing and general everyday tasks...

Thoughts?

One question, do you really need the 4GB of VRAM?

Why not? It's worth getting just because you can't just add more vram lol. just my two cents. 

i know its over but id try and make something like this 

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ CPL Online) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($182.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory:  Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($115.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($109.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($369.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1548.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-11 17:54 EST+1100)

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Why not? It's worth getting just because you can't just add more vram lol. just my two cents. 

Considering the price of other cards + 4GB of VRAM, yeah... why not indeed.

Would go for a 4670k and a Z87 board. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

i know its over but id try and make something like this 

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ CPL Online) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($182.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory:  Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($115.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($109.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($369.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1548.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-11 17:54 EST+1100)

Would be a solid build except it's a fair bit over and I'm not too fussed about overclocking at this point.

Yep. The card is locked in. It provides great performance and value, especially in the future when I use higher resolutions/more monitors.

Would go for a 4670k and a Z87 board. 

I was originally going for a similar combination, however I'm not interested in overclocking. I don't want to throw another couple of hundred dollars into the build just so I can overclock it. Maybe in a few years, but at this point, it's not really worth it for me.

BitFenix Prodigy ITX — Intel Core i5 4570 — MSI H87I — 8GB RAM — Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X — Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB — XFX TS650.

Looking at the following parts - https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=278397&action=wish_lists.

Ignore the postage cost.

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't go with that Palit GTX 770 but instead an EVGA GTX 770 instead for their great customer service. You have to think about this because if your GPU was DOA or had problems down the track EVGA would really help you out whereas Palit I believe not so much. You don't need any customer support headaches.

I also thought of something also. Do you plan to OC at all? Because if you don't you could do what I'll be doing and go for the Intel Xeon 1230 v3 for just AU$24 more than a i5 4670K and it's pretty much equal in performance to the i7 4770K for AU$100 less.

Also, something to note about H87 MOBOs and any other variants apart from z87 MOBOs. I did my research and found out that that all other LGA1150 motherboards use cheaper quality components and so even if you don't plan on OCing it's still worth your while getting a z87 Motherboard. I know this goes against of what most people would recommend and ordinarily I would do the same. But if you want a good quality Motherboard then I'd stick with the z87 Motherboards.

I hope all that helps. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@kzte i'll have a look at it shortly and let you know.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

I personally wouldn't go with that Palit GTX 770 but instead an EVGA GTX 770 instead for their great customer service. You have to think about this because if your GPU was DOA or had problems down the track EVGA would really help you out whereas Palit I believe not so much. You don't need any customer support headaches.

I also thought of something also. Do you plan to OC at all? Because if you don't you could do what I'll be doing and go for the Intel Xeon 1230 v3 for just AU$24 more than a i5 4670K and it's pretty much equal in performance to the i7 4770K for AU$100 less.

Also, something to note about H87 MOBOs and any other variants apart from z87 MOBOs. I did my research and found out that that all other LGA1150 motherboards use cheaper quality components and so even if you don't plan on OCing it's still worth your while getting a z87 Motherboard. I know this goes against of what most people would recommend and ordinarily I would do the same. But if you want a good quality Motherboard then I'd stick with the z87 Motherboards.

I hope all that helps. :D

They use cheaper components hence why the board is cheaper.... its not made to handle overclocks so they dont need to use the higher end components the h87 boards are fine i wish i got a h87 board and a 4770 save some money as i have never overclocked and dont plan on nor do i care.

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Looks very good, if you don't plan on OCing than the stock cooler and a H87 board should be fine. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Not getting my gear from PCCG, I have an alternative supplier here in Perth. Still, I might have to get my hands on some of that merchandise for the sake of it. :P

Not getting my gear from PCCG, I have an alternative supplier here in Perth. Still, I might have to get my hands on some of that merchandise for the sake of it. :P

How soon are you buying? I would still avoid the 4gb cards as said before, the bus size severely limits the amount of use you will see from it. Also be aware that board has 3 fan headers so don't forget a fan splitter to run the additional fans off. I am not 100% familiar with the prodigy matx lay out but from memory psu's may interfere with gpu's so just check that out. Final thought is the stock cooler has the worst mounting system I have ever seen and would consider an aftermarket one anyway, my xeon hit 96c today while running prime 95 with the stock cooler and as such I will be replacing it shortly.

That is all I can think of at the moment but I am on my phone currently if I think of anything further I'll add it.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)